The first to growl

Napalm Death are usually thought of as the first to blast (1987), but Siege were playing what were undeniably blastbeats a couple years prior. I swear that there's a blastbeat on Hawkwind's Space Ritual (1972), though, which would make THAT the earliest recorded blastbeat. :D

About the growling vocals: Cronos and Tom G. Warrior can't be overlooked in influence. But Possessed DID take the gruff style a bit further. 'course, by 1987, Napalm Death were the first to growl in 'modern day' death growling--completely undecipherable, akin to what we today think of as death metal vocals. They all, in turn, were influenced by Lemmy, father of the gargling-with-broken-glass vocal style.

Mick Harris from Napalm Death invented the blast beat in the grindcore context...which death metal immediately followed. The blast beats basically were derived from the anarcho punk/crust punk scene in Birmingham which by the day kept taking speed to the next level. Whether you like Napam Death or not...they along with their early scene in England greatly influenced death metal as we know it today and Swedish death metal(no not gothenburg kiddies).
Also I believe, the first real intentional death metal growls were done by Possessed. The band said that their live vocals prior to the recording of "Seven Churches" were much more extreme and growling...as if "Seven churches" at the time wasn't crazy enough. Chuck Schuldiner had no clue about Possessed by the time in 1983 when he decided that he wanted to make the most "brutal music ever."

The8thPlague said:
still goin' with Atreyu.

honestly...Opeth started growling in the early 1990's.... and there are bands that probably
growled before Opeth...

how the hell are you saying Atreyu, and also another...Atreyu doenst growl, they have this cheesy yell which really pisses me off. A reason why i dont listen to them....