The flow: a dialectic analysis of Opeth's development

The "incoherence" of the early albums just worked. It doesn't feel disjointed to me...nothing in me gives an alarm of "wrongness" when I listen.

I usually group their albums together according to my subjective evaluation of the songwriting and general atmosphere. I also noticed that the production quality is similar on albums with similar songwriting (obviously since they are released close to each other). I also tend to think of a color when I think of a particular album. Dunno why really. But if I had to group the albums according to songwriting, it'd be something as follows:

Era 1: Orchid, Morningrise. Dark blue with tinges of green.
Era 2: My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life. Black with copious amounts of red.
Era 3: Blackwater Park, Damnation, Deliverance. Greyish-blue of various shades.
Era 4: Ghost Reveries. Brown with hints of yellow and red.
Era 5? Watershed? Can't really say yet.

I know this color thing is bullshit, but it sorta emerges from the atmosphere of the music.

(directed toward Peacehand's post)
I listen to hardly any black metal, but I still "get" Opeth.

I'm not tryin to be elitist, ya know.
I was just tryin to say, that opeth is largly about the mood of the music, and not the actual execution of it.
The words are an means to an ends, the ends is that deep dark BM type feeling.
And too the shoots puppy guy, thats exactly the type of BM elitist i'm trying not to be ya know.
If you think music is just the sum of its parts, your missing alot IMO.

But yeah, i'm firmly in the "more you can't understand it, the deeper the music is" camp.

So I hope the next Opeth album is all in some rare language or something.
I don't know, just forum shit.
Holla yall.

I'm not tryin to be elitist, ya know.
I was just tryin to say, that opeth is largly about the mood of the music, and not the actual execution of it.
The words are an means to an ends, the ends is that deep dark BM type feeling.
And too the shoots puppy guy, thats exactly the type of BM elitist i'm trying not to be ya know.
If you think music is just the sum of its parts, your missing alot IMO.

But yeah, i'm firmly in the "more you can't understand it, the deeper the music is" camp.

So I hope the next Opeth album is all in some rare language or something.
I don't know, just forum shit.
Holla yall.

:headbang::headbang:

inb4 next album being written entirely in Sanskrit

"Opeth's 10th studio album, Om, will be released September 22nd, 2010, featuring Martin "Axe" Axenrot on the tibetan singing bowl."

:headbang::headbang:

inb4 next album being written entirely in Sanskrit

"Opeth's 10th studio album, Om, will be released September 22nd, 2010, featuring Martin "Axe" Axenrot on the tibetan singing bowl."

I'd prefer an album in Sumerian ... but since Morbid Angel did stuff like that already, and Nile with the old Egyptian, this wouldn't be original enough then :p
But plenty more languages of the Ancient Near East to use, would be nice to see some Hurrian hymns put into a metal context, making references to the music also (which they can reconstruct a little bit).
Well, plenty to chose from! Such a shame that only the most obvious cultural elements from the past are being used ... there is a huge wealth of material out there for projects like these, not only in old Egypt (boring place) or Sumerian (glorious as that is).
You made me start dreaming about a metal project on ancient near eastern history and mythology ... the ones that try a bit are only using too obvious and stereotype sources.

well, whatever :p

I think both Deliverance and Mornigrise have kinda summer feeling. Deliverance reminds me of the month of August, while MR does the same about May/June..and anyways it doesn't remind me at all of cold landscapes and stuff like that..

^lol

other than the "era 1" you took your colors you geniusly think of from the album covers. it's pretty obvious.

If it was so, it wasn't a conscious effort. Anyway I don't think you are completely right, cause I think of Still Life as being blacker than MAYH, and neither of bwp, del, or damn have blue in them.

Well first off, great post.
Yet I have two questions.

Why must art be grammically correct?
Why must art be coherrant?

From my pov, art is not merely the execution, its the very much the feeling that comes after. Example, I propose that an actual person living in the 60s's would appriecate the Rolling Stones more than a realitivly new fan. You have to be from that era to fully get the blues connection and the social conditions.
I can not stress this enough, you have to know BLACK METAL and BM lyrics to get the band, or else it does seem incoherent or grammatically correct.
And you have to know what feeling you looking for when you listen to BM.
Every wonder why most of Opeth's songs center around loss?
Well, you have to know BM and metal in general to get it.
Now i'm not saying you don't, but if you don't get the feeling the song is tryin to portray, then its not Mike's fault ya know.

The lyrics are the best part of most of Opeth albums for me, just my pov.
Especially the new album, not matter where they go musicwise, they will always have their BM lyrics, which i love, which shows its dedication to its roots and root fans, not the Damnation era fans, no disrespect.
Just my pov again, great post.

This is an iteresting view, very interesting.
I got into Opeth through reading a review of bwp bought the album and loved it and then went and over 4 or 5 months bought the other albums. I identified strongly with mayh and orchid bwp but not so much the other albums. then damnation and deliverence came out and well i wasnt sure i liked the lack of contrast, however through lamentations dvd i got into damnation and more recently into deliverence. then ghost reveries came out and wow it spent over a year in my car on constant play with few exceptions.
now to my point i got into cradle of filth at the same time throught her ghost in the fog and like someof their stuff but have vertually no BM or dm references as im mainly into 70s prog suprise suprise lol and some stoner rock and softer stuff like fleeetwood mac judy tzuke camel ect and a little folk so i perhapse dont get the dm bm part in the same way. i did and do like angelwitch black sabbath atomic rooster motorhead and similar stuff. but perhapse i need to learn more about other bm and dm to further appreciate opeth. a bit like once you have an understanding of painting and drawing you then uncover a whole new layer of interest which may pass the caual observer by or a good well writen book which has many layers.

si who shold i look out to hear.
i heard some mayhem the other day and get some of it and i like some dimmur boguir (probably wrong spelling) but dont get say porcupine tree or dream theater which i can see is another side of opeths influence.

who else do i look at and listen to

also interstingly i dont like to much happy music and dont really care to much about lyrics, some of santanas music shows this as some of the lyrics are not english and some of judy tzukes songs have french parts. do i need to take note of the lyrics more.
I do love listening to a great drummer though as im a bassist and good rythmn guitar parts

This is an iteresting view, very interesting.
I got into Opeth through reading a review of bwp bought the album and loved it and then went and over 4 or 5 months bought the other albums. I identified strongly with mayh and orchid bwp but not so much the other albums. then damnation and deliverence came out and well i wasnt sure i liked the lack of contrast, however through lamentations dvd i got into damnation and more recently into deliverence. then ghost reveries came out and wow it spent over a year in my car on constant play with few exceptions.
now to my point i got into cradle of filth at the same time throught her ghost in the fog and like someof their stuff but have vertually no BM or dm references as im mainly into 70s prog suprise suprise lol and some stoner rock and softer stuff like fleeetwood mac judy tzuke camel ect and a little folk so i perhapse dont get the dm bm part in the same way. i did and do like angelwitch black sabbath atomic rooster motorhead and similar stuff. but perhapse i need to learn more about other bm and dm to further appreciate opeth. a bit like once you have an understanding of painting and drawing you then uncover a whole new layer of interest which may pass the caual observer by or a good well writen book which has many layers.

si who shold i look out to hear.
i heard some mayhem the other day and get some of it and i like some dimmur boguir (probably wrong spelling) but dont get say porcupine tree or dream theater which i can see is another side of opeths influence.

who else do i look at and listen to

also interstingly i dont like to much happy music and dont really care to much about lyrics, some of santanas music shows this as some of the lyrics are not english and some of judy tzukes songs have french parts. do i need to take note of the lyrics more.
I do love listening to a great drummer though as im a bassist and good rythmn guitar parts

wow, don't even know where to begin ... and that is the feeling you should have as well ... just keep on going through new stuff, the internetdatabases (for information on music) are extremely handy, and then you will realize one day that you started out listening to the least interesting bands first probably, but they are good to get adjusted to some of the atmosphere and ideas i guess.

i have also recently got into mastadon, they seem to throw so many ideas and infuences into 1 song.
any suggestions for melodic dm or bm

About the atmosphere thing I think I pretty much agree with Carta.To me,MAYH is their best album so far and I really dont think they can even record an album better than it.Opeth has recorded great albums so far,every one of them being a masterpiece to me,but MAYH is absolutely brilliant lyrics-wise and concept-wise.You can feel the fury and sorrow of the unnamed ghost and get a chill down your spine while hearing his screams from the realms of death.This album is composed in a way so that more or the less you are reading the story-book of what is told.And this amazes me and makes me love it.Especially when I am listening to it at night,or when the weather is rainy and sky is grey it fills me with a kind of horror combined with sorrow and relief.It is just very hard to describe and even this alone makes the Opeth the best music band of all times for me.

About Watershed,I think it is a great album and it is a proof that Ghost Reveries was a kind of bridge between the old-opeth style and this new progressive-opeth style.

I hope Mikael makes another concept album,they are very cool to listen and following the storyline with lyrics and illustrating them in mind with melodies,makes a perfect experience.

Good shit Carta's.. pretty much agree with you on everything.
Disagree with you on the colder atmosphere for WS tho... yeah those two songs might infer that but you'll understand what I mean when you hear the whole album.

Improper use of 'infer' here. Should be 'imply'.

You could have said, "It can be inferred from those 2 songs that _____."

OR

You could have said, "These 2 songs might imply ______."

Learn to write, moron.

I'd prefer an album in Sumerian ... but since Morbid Angel did stuff like that already, and Nile with the old Egyptian, this wouldn't be original enough then :p
But plenty more languages of the Ancient Near East to use, would be nice to see some Hurrian hymns put into a metal context, making references to the music also (which they can reconstruct a little bit).
Well, plenty to chose from! Such a shame that only the most obvious cultural elements from the past are being used ... there is a huge wealth of material out there for projects like these, not only in old Egypt (boring place) or Sumerian (glorious as that is).
You made me start dreaming about a metal project on ancient near eastern history and mythology ... the ones that try a bit are only using too obvious and stereotype sources.

well, whatever :p

Or why not old Scandinavian? It would be convenient too, cause Mike could write the lyrics in Swedish and then just call up Shamataee (or how the hell you spell his name)from Arckanum and have him translate everything.

Another option would be to have Jónsi from Sigúr Rós translate it to Icelandic. Hell, he could even provide som falsetto guest vocals for the next album. I'm sure it would fit, cause if Opeth continue down the road they've gone with Watershed, the next album will consist of 8 % death metal and 92 % prog/folk-balladry.

I always thought MAYH was the Unquestionable Presence of Opeth. It sounded much more structured than prior material; it's like they could say what they wanted to say in a seven minute song as opposed to a twenty minute song.

I can not stress this enough, you have to know BLACK METAL and BM lyrics to get the band, or else it does seem incoherent or grammatically correct.
And you have to know what feeling you looking for when you listen to BM.
Every wonder why most of Opeth's songs center around loss?
Well, you have to know BM and metal in general to get it.
Now i'm not saying you don't, but if you don't get the feeling the song is tryin to portray, then its not Mike's fault ya know.

The lyrics are the best part of most of Opeth albums for me, just my pov.
Especially the new album, not matter where they go musicwise, they will always have their BM lyrics, which i love, which shows its dedication to its roots and root fans, not the Damnation era fans, no disrespect.
Just my pov again, great post.

yeah like Opeth are one of the best black metal bands around