The Food Thread.

Im trying to come up with a good Tofu marinade, as Im doing a tofu stir-fry for my freind tomorrow.
Also a good lactose intolerant dessert would be cool. I have the pans/trays to make either cookies or brownies, nothing for a cake, pie, or muffin/cupcake sadly.

If anyone has ideas.
Ideas, yes. If you like them, I dunno... :rofl:

I marinade tofu with vegetable stock, soy sauce, a little bit corn starch and sugar, and lots of chili. Or with five-spice powder. But I never managed to marinade it as good as the Thai restaurant I go to :(

Lactose intolerant dessert is a hard request... I have a recipe for chocolate cookies without butter, there´s oil used instead.
You could also prepare a fruit salad, for example with exotic fruits, ginger and orange liquor, or with oranges, apples, bananas and some honey-nut-pesto on top.

I want sushis

sushi.jpg

:kickass:

I marinade tofu with vegetable stock, soy sauce, a little bit corn starch and sugar, and lots of chili. Or with five-spice powder. But I never managed to marinade it as good as the Thai restaurant I go to :(

Lactose intolerant dessert is a hard request... I have a recipe for chocolate cookies without butter, there´s oil used instead.
You could also prepare a fruit salad, for example with exotic fruits, ginger and orange liquor, or with oranges, apples, bananas and some honey-nut-pesto on top.

You sound like you know what you're doing. Make me din-din! =O

I may have already mentioned this, but my aunt made a little side dish one day that turned out really good. She just really quickly fried, just to warm up and soften, some sliced figs with bruscutto... Or however it's spelled- that Italian meat that smoked, sliced thin and is like Italian bacon?
Anyway, the saltiness of that with the sweetness of the figs was really good, and it was a super easy side dish. If anyone ever needs one more thing to add to the plate. =)

Anyone know a bad ass recipe for Borscht? Preferably something that does contain a lot of beets, and maybe some beef- but isn't too complicated to make. I see a lot of recipes that include frying all the vegetables separately, making your own beef broth, adding tomato paste, blah, blah, blah...

Didn't notice this : / She got skittles and cookies, as unrelated snacks. I don't want to bake for friends until I get used to my oven.

The Tofu I made was alright. I pressed it for 30 min, cut it into cubes and then tossed in a baggy with soy sauce and lemon juice. Then tossed it into the pan with garlic, green onion, and chilies. Then added vegetable stock, lemongrass, ginger, Carrots, green beans, and noodles. It was way too spicy for us both :lol:. The spice cooled down once it had been in the fridge. It was touching my friend managed to eat as much as it as she did to be polite :p.

I'm also not at all used to cooking with gas, havn't done anything too fancy in a while. I have like, $20 to last me until thursday so I'll have to come up with something good : /

But it sounds delicious altogether! Maybe you just exaggerated with some of the ingredients...?
Cooking with gas is awesome, my parents used it when I learned cooking. Nothing better out there! But yeah you have to get used to it.

What do you mean, 20$ left for having dinner, or do I get you wrong?!?! Uh.
In that case I´d probably buy tons of noodles, put together a tomato sauce and, if possible, refine it with something else each day, like different vegetables, bacon and stuff.

... well so you managed to do it just like most of the Asian restaurants out there :lol: Imo most of the Asian food you get is pretty much a mixture of any Chinese, Thai, Japanese and Vietnamese style around.

Yup, thats basically how I cook, probably just going to do stir-fry all week since I have a ton of rice and noodles.

Toast, tomato, fresh oregano leaves, mozerella, fried egg, pepper. in that order :cool:

I don't know what there is to get used to as far as cooking with gas goes. I've been using gas for most of my life so I don't have the perspective, but the only major difference is that you don't have to wait till the burner heats up, and you don't have to wait for the burner to cool down if you want to remove whatever you're cooking from heat.

Sounds pretty good to me, Cliff.

I don't know what there is to get used to as far as cooking with gas goes. I've been using gas for most of my life so I don't have the perspective, but the only major difference is that you don't have to wait till the burner heats up, and you don't have to wait for the burner to cool down if you want to remove whatever you're cooking from heat.

Sounds pretty good to me, Cliff.

yes, and this took getting used to :lol:
I'm used to needing a considerably longer amount of time to preheat a pan with oil. I turn around for one second and before I know it the oil is all smokey and I have to act fast :p. Gotten pretty used to it now, using the built in broiler all the time now too :D.

I made more taco filling recently. It also goes aweosme on nachoes, thats what Ive been eating past 2 days (and have at least 2 more days left of it). I feel like shit, in a manly way. Perhaps I'll take a night off with a salad : /

Anyone know a bad ass recipe for Borscht? Preferably something that does contain a lot of beets, and maybe some beef- but isn't too complicated to make. I see a lot of recipes that include frying all the vegetables separately, making your own beef broth, adding tomato paste, blah, blah, blah...

you take all things red and boil it in about 2/3 of water :)
that's the ukranian version, though