The Food Thread.

Ha. I miss the name Hungry Jacks.
I remember when I first walked into one I was like "Wait, this is exactly like Burger King. WTF!?"

You've been to Australia?

Yeah the guy who introduced BK into Australia Jack Cowan, decided to change the name and name it after himself.

I recall when I was working there, he bought a location in Pitt St. Sydney for $2 million. He was going to build the 2nd Sydney HJ store there. One week later he was offered $4 million for the location - SOLD!

A few years back he was ranked in the top 5 richest men in Aus.

Funny thing is BK did eventually decide to open their own stores in Aus. there was a big legal battle between the two. We now have both BK and HJ stores in Aus.

Which Springfield are you from, or is that a joke to match your avatar?

s

Did crepes. Blueberry and Mars bar...thats right. Was way to much sugar :p
I took pics but cant find my microSD-USB connector thing.

Oh hello little mars bar. Are you happy in your blueberry filling, all warm and cozy?
The crepe on the left was too thick, and underdone as a result, but in total crepes are REALLY easy to make.
59011_527833792670_297901345_1351000_3392454_n.jpg

Get some butter melting, just a tbsp or so. (we weren't given measurements when doing these)
Take an egg, some sugar, and dash of vanilla and beat the shit out of it.
once beaten, add a handful of flour and splash of milk, and continue to beat.
add in the melted butter...let it cool slightly, and add it in slowly while beating...if its too hot you'll cook your eggs and have a bowl sugary scrambled eggs.

Adjust your flour/milk to get right consistency. It should be like a sauce. You want it thin, but too thin and it will tear apart and be difficult to handle.

To grease your pan, put a good amount of oil on, then pour it into a cup, and wipe the pan with a paper towel or cloth. You use this cloth to re-grease the pan every few crepes.

Now...pick the pan up, pour your batter into the pan with ladle, and move the pan around so it covers the whole bottom. They cook fast because they so thin, once the edges are browning...take a spatula (I use a fork) and just lift the edges up off the pan. Grab the edge of the crepe with your figners and flip. You can use a spatula but its much harder to control, I wouldn't bother.

Once done, put on plate, fill, roll.

To do a filling its basically like a pie filling. Put some butter in a pan, melt it, toss in your fruit, some brown sugar, and cinnamon...or whatever really. Go until fruit is nice and soft.

edit: I do not suggest doing the mars bar thing...it was WAY too sweet. Next time I'm doing twix or snickers

Oh hello little mars bar. Are you happy in your blueberry filling, all warm and cozy?
The crepe on the left was too thick, and underdone as a result, but in total crepes are REALLY easy to make.
59011_527833792670_297901345_1351000_3392454_n.jpg

Get some butter melting, just a tbsp or so. (we weren't given measurements when doing these)
Take an egg, some sugar, and dash of vanilla and beat the shit out of it.
once beaten, add a handful of flour and splash of milk, and continue to beat.
add in the melted butter...let it cool slightly, and add it in slowly while beating...if its too hot you'll cook your eggs and have a bowl sugary scrambled eggs.

Adjust your flour/milk to get right consistency. It should be like a sauce. You want it thin, but too thin and it will tear apart and be difficult to handle.

To grease your pan, put a good amount of oil on, then pour it into a cup, and wipe the pan with a paper towel or cloth. You use this cloth to re-grease the pan every few crepes.

Now...pick the pan up, pour your batter into the pan with ladle, and move the pan around so it covers the whole bottom. They cook fast because they so thin, once the edges are browning...take a spatula (I use a fork) and just lift the edges up off the pan. Grab the edge of the crepe with your figners and flip. You can use a spatula but its much harder to control, I wouldn't bother.

Once done, put on plate, fill, roll.

To do a filling its basically like a pie filling. Put some butter in a pan, melt it, toss in your fruit, some brown sugar, and cinnamon...or whatever really. Go until fruit is nice and soft.

edit: I do not suggest doing the mars bar thing...it was WAY too sweet. Next time I'm doing twix or snickers

very nice,thanks bro!

But I dont really get the grease in the pan part. I put grease in the pan, without heating it and then I put it back to use that cup of grease for re-greasing?
Its just.. I dont get it why I should I put it in a cup before :D

heat it up a bit so its runny and coats the bottom of the pan, then pour it off, then wipe the pan down. Need to do this because the oil will fuck up the shape of the crepe.

^i'm not a big fan of caramel, might be good with a Bounty perhaps? i'm not sure if it's worth the risk of Bounty though :/

also, question: i'd like to make Murg Makhani/butter chicken tomorrow (indian food > everything). now, i need sour curd for this. i'm slightly confused on what it is exactly, i tried to translate it, but the answer i got isn't even a word, i think :p. so, is it like slightly rotten white yoghurt? or is it something similar (like sour cream)? and do stores sell it or do i need to buy this 'curd'-thing and let it go sour? :/

KFC are playing this ad in Aus.

I think they've dubbed an Australian accent on the singer though.

s

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude,do you eat anywhere else besides KFC, Burger King or Hungry Fags?

Dude,do you eat anywhere else besides KFC, Burger King or Hungry Fags?

No he also eats offal.
I looked at his post :erk: That commercial is old as fuck, and the guy doesn't even have an Australian accent.

Australians can't recognize their own accent, because they don't have one. Its English accent with a bunch of redneck-slang no one knows.

Dude, do you eat anywhere else besides KFC, Burger King or Hungry Fags?

I worked at Horny Fags & Pizza Hut back at high school and uni respectively.

I ate at Booger King in the USA twice - had the burgers made without mayo & tomato but couldn't add beetroot because the yanks don't know what that is.

Had plenty of burgers at diners in the US though, haven't had one prior for years and not one since...when in Rome....

Other than that I haven't been to Macca's (we call it Chucka's down here), KFC, etc. for years.

No he also eats offal.
That commercial is old as fuck and the guy doesn't even have an Australian accent.

They've only started playing the ad here.

You are correct, it's not the Australian version on Boob-tube.

The Aus. version is dubbed, probably 30 seconds if that and they've taken out the fire-breathing - the whole point of the fiery burger right?

Speaking of chicken

Artist steals a chicken NSFW

Australians accent..... Its English accent with a bunch of redneck-slang no one knows.

Nah it's not English at all, it just sounds that way to you, the same way a Canadian accent to us sounds like a US accent only gayer. I also find the Austrian accent is like a gayer German accent.

s

Still, don't compare us with the Germans at your office because you'd most probably leave with a bleeding nose then.

The Austrian accent from the guy's here isn't harsh like a German accent.

Then again the guys here are all engineers and they aren't very macho so the examples in my sample size may be different to how the general population speak.

s