The Food Thread.

Australia has lost all respect.

Yep, Oprah now wants to come here bringing 400 of her fans :(

Australia needs to get some Independence like the U.S.

We're trying, we were waiting for the stuffy old people with a love for the Queen to die off. Now a breed of bogans have incited a new found worship for our flag (with union flag intact) using it in racial protests to the foreigners, particularly Moslems. A lot of people agree with the sentiment but they've unravelled decades of work trying remove the union flag from ours. :bah: It'll happen eventually.

Genocide is well needed in a few places here.

s

Paul Hogan was their last hope, then he made a third movie.

Blame the Germans.

I recall the second Dundee movie didn't do so well, he also had a few other flops that put him away for quite a while.

The Germans just couldn't get enough, apparently the movies did really well on their TV so they threw bucketloads of money at him to make a sequel.

He's having some tax problems at the moment.

hogan-leaves-australia-disguise-tax-deal/

Oh yeah, John Travolta will be flying the plane containing Oprah and fans. Gotta go paint a bullseye on our World Trade Centre.

s

I've been failing in class with pretty much any kind of sugar working. I overcook the fuck out of it.
So I'm going to try this recipe again, its pretty easy and tastes fantastic. Mine came out rock hard last time :/ but still tasted good.

Red Onion Jelly:
So you take about half a red onion, and the chef had us fillet the red skin off each part. This step can, and should be omitted because it took forever, but then you julienne the red skin and put that aside. Put some sugar in your saucepan, a good amount, and enough red-wine vinegar to cover, heat it up until the sugar is dissolved, add your onions, and cook to the right consistency. This is where I fuck up. As it cools, it will get thicker, so heat it up too much and you'll have a way-to-thick jelly. So once its ready, just put it aside and let cool. If its too runny heat it back up and cook out some water.
It tastes fantastic, very sweet.

Funfact: Acids, such as vinegar, will react to the red pigments in foods, causing them to get much more brighter and vibrant. So this jam has a really bright pink-purple look to it, its awesome.

shit.

Add the onion once the sugar is dissolved, chyeah.

editz:

So this is what it will look like, I filleted the onions this time again.
This batch was too watery. I overcooked it and was too thick, splashed in some water, fixed it, and then didn't cook it enough to bring it to the right point. but yeah, if its too watery, just turn the stove back on and cook more liquid out. The taste is reeeally sweet, you don't taste the vinegar.

Red Onion Jelly:

So this jam has a really bright pink-purple look to it

So in Canada Jelly and Jam are the same thing?

Jam to us is what the yanks call jelly.

In Aus. Jelly is the stuff that's made from the by-products of the meat and leather industry, mainly pork skins, pork and cattle bones, or split cattle hides - (Gelatin), sugar and food colouring. You boil it in water and put in the fridge to set.

s

Sandwiches I made for dinner last night

img8749small.jpg

My soup is more rebellious than yours.

61694_528164929070_297901345_1362231_3749426_n.jpg

Fucking grim.

Too bad the second after I took that picture, I walked to the side and the bottom of my hoody splashed in the bowl fucking it all up :p

Its butternut squash.
So, sweat an onion, a clove or two of garlic, salt, pepper, curry, allspice, dried oregano, brown sugar and fresh thyme
Then add in the squash, I think half an apple (i used half, could have used the other half), and enough water to cover. add a cinnamon stick about now, I used ground cinnamon.
Bring to a boil, then simmer until all is soft.
Puree it all up, bring back to stove, finish with a splash of creme. Adjust texture, and seasonings to taste.

The dots are just drops of creme, still working on my accuracy :p

Its butternut squash.
So, sweat an onion, a clove or two of garlic, salt, pepper, curry, allspice, dried oregano, brown sugar and fresh thyme
Then add in the squash, I think half an apple (i used half, could have used the other half), and enough water to cover. add a cinnamon stick about now, I used ground cinnamon.
Puree it all up, bring back to stove, finish with a splash of creme. Adjust texture, and seasonings to taste.

I was thinking about trying to make it but then I red apple and I gave up :lol: Adding apples and cinnamon in a soup is too weird for someone who grew up on serbian traditional dishes :/

Also I had stuffed peppers for dinner.

Someone I know doesn't use apple, but they add in alot of maple syrup. The sweetness is needed.
Its a good soup to make since a squash lasts forever (I bought this one to make 2 weekends ago :/), and the spices are pretty common. Its also really thick, I didn't have any bread or anything with that bowl and I'm stuffed.

Its butternut squash.

The dots are just drops of creme, still working on my accuracy :p
sounds delicious :) i <3 squash :eek:

Its a staple recipe for almost all puree soups. We also did a carrot soup and potato leek.
Carrot we ran through a sieve after puree since the fibers are still really tough and it comes out thick as fuck. My friend does the same for butternut but I found it to be smooth enough.

Potato Leek is god-tier soup.

Literally Four Cheese sauce just whipping cream,butter, Parmesan, mozzarella, provolone & Romano cheese.

Bechamel is used with fondues amirite? Doesn't that have milk in it?