The Future Of Katatonia

May 27, 2001
I know that such questions are highly speculative, but I've been thinking about this for quite a long time - now that I have fully 'absorbed' LFDGD :)

Which path will Katatonia follow with their next album?

Their own.
There has already been talk about influences, but at this moment I feel that Kata's next full-length release will deliver their very own musical face (at last). Sure, the band has a quite original style, but in the past band names like Paradise Lost (early stuff) or Tool (-> Jonas' vocals, e.g. in 'Chrome') kept floating around, and I think with LFDGD they took the first right step to finally jump out of other people's shadows.
Hopefully the momentary line-up turns out to be solid. If so, it's all just a matter of time. Anders will further improve his lead guitar revelations, Jonas will further experiment with and explore his vocal cords, etc.... But, for fucks sake, please don't start to mix guitars into the background (-> 'aggressiveness'), don't leave authenticity and honesty behind (-> lyrics).

In fact, this isn't meant to be prescriptive. I don't _expect_ them to do anything. I only hope they preserve some crucial Katatonic hallmarks within their auspicious development, so that it'll be easier for me to follow them :)

Cheers :D

this is a really hard situation, 2 great albums, and i think now they may go in an intirely different direction, its really hard to say, i mean if they release another LFDGD style album people will say its the same old katatonia, i think if they can make another LFDGD id be in heaven. its just a hard situation they're in now, should they move on and go for something different, and risk their careers on the outcome, or dont stick their necks out that much. all i can say is i cant wait for the next album which im sure will be brilliant. but yeah im slightly nervous on the outcome.

Originally posted by MacMoney
They shall make another album like Dance of December Souls!

I'd like to see people's reaction to that.

other than a side project or a muck around that isnt happening, well actually it might, although they are too reluctant to sing the old songs live, so i seriously doubt it. its something i think they want to keep in the past.

Originally posted by _Transparent_

other than a side project or a muck around that isnt happening, well actually it might, although they are too reluctant to sing the old songs live, so i seriously doubt it. its something i think they want to keep in the past.

bands that totally forget their roots are a bit disapointing

I have no faith in the Future of Katatonia, I don't think that thier new album is going to like to me.

After hearing We must bury You, I thought this kinda base-rock-trip-hop shit would be their future, sorry nut I'm a metalhead and if they loose their roots completely I won't listen to them again

BTW last Anathema Sucks!!!!!!!!!

Katatonia will follow their own way..it's pretty obvious that they are a band who plays for themselves first and then for their fans... and this far cooler than getting an album you and me or old Katatonia fans would like to listen even though i feel i will get disappointed...
The last katatonia releases are good,but i feel something is missing...sometimes i tend to think they are a bit easy listening..and i am surprised at the fact that they have gained so many new fans with their latest achievement...
Sad but true i no longer think that their next releases will be sth i will really dig..I am actually afraid that a day will come when i will no longer be interested in buying their new albums...
but then again so it is with music,i have always prefered bands to play whatever they want,and not what the fans want...

Am i the only one who gets the feeling that something is missing?????

and :mad: i really wish Peaceville will stop this re-releaseing spree cause it's stupid...what's the point in rereleasing an album 6 months after its release????? oh,yeah,you get the last katatonia single,too...Oh,BIG thanks,i'd rather find ONLY the single somewhere,i don't need to buy LFDGD again + it is the ultimate disrespect for idiots like me who go an dbuy the albums during the first few weeks they are released....
:eek:

The guy with the bird avatar obviously doesn't understand the subtle aspects of emotion....

But I think the next Katatonia will be fantastic, although I don't know how they could improve on Last Fair Deal Gone Down. It's my equal favourite album of all time, and an emotional monolith.

The guy with the bird avatar obviously doesn't understand the subtle aspects of emotion....

Hm...'the guy' doesn't understand why some people constantly feel the urge to judge others by 100-word posts on internet message boards. Fascinating.

Originally posted by my dying groom

Hm...'the guy' doesn't understand why some people constantly feel the urge to judge others by 100-word posts on internet message boards. Fascinating.

I didn't mean you, if that's what you're thinking. I meant the person with the vulture avatar.

I didn't mean you, if that's what you're thinking.

Oops. :eek:
Perhaps I should look for a new avatar once again... ;)

[edit]
Groom, that is a really, really good avatar. My band has considered that very picture as a demo cover. Theodor Kittelsen must be one of my favourite artists...

Yeah, I deeply enjoy Kittelsen's work, for me it's an almost perfect (nothing can be really 'perfect') symbiosis of natural mysticism and romanticism :)
BTW, just out of interest, which style does your band stand for?

Originally posted by MacMoney

ARGH! Nothing! But I seriously doubt that they'll make another album like that.

you doubt?!! im sure they wont do another like this. First old good Jonas lost his mighty gutteral voice, then since everything is going so damm well for them why should they be doing oh so sad songs?

this is a bit weird, doom groups start with that feeling of helplessness but with time they slowly loose it, because they are going well and there's nothing to complain about... so those groups that are going well and still are bitching about life shouldnt be considered fraudes?:confused:

Call me crazy (actually no, I'll do it. "You're crazy!"), but I wouldn't be surprised to see a somewhat radical departure from their current form. Just something I read in the press for LFDGD, along the lines of '...the band can't see themselves doing a better album in this style, so...'. All very cryptic and stuff :)
I'm hanging out for a return to the BMD style, aint gonna happen though. Maybe a more goth type thing, they used to toy with darkwave or something like that (me not being a goth expert I have no idea...).

Maybe a more goth type thing, they used to toy with darkwave or something like that (me not being a goth expert I have no idea...).

:eek:
You don't know how intensely I hope you're really crazy :D