The future of metal

Ha, Manowar was the future of metal at one point. Then heterosexuality became prominent for awhile.

Ah, but we are talking about the future, when overpopulation will make homosexuality not just accepted, but fashionable. Then Manowar shall reign supreme again!

But don't forget that, after all, all metal fashion is based off of Rob Halford's favorite gay bondage gear.

Yeah, because heterosexuality is about doing heroin and fighting for money and doing various stupid things and then posting about it on the internet.

Germans seem to sound more like Borat than like the German accents I remember from war films.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of power metal bands are gravitating towards a more mainstream lyrical approach though. Look at the recent Nightwish (lots of Nightwish, actually), recent Kamelot, and the recent Avantasia release, with horrible tracks like "Carry Me Over."

The problem with this is, the more power metal moves towards a mainstream sound, the more it just sounds like generic shit (some tracks on the newest Avantasia record sounded like Bon Jovi). And I'm very nervous that Nightwish, sooner or later, is just going to sound like Evanescence.

I definitely think some of the more popular power metal bands are trying to bridge the gap, but I don't think they'll succeed.
The fact that they have to change to become popular proves my point.

Generalizing much? Some power metal definitely sounds over the top, but there's plenty that's just straightforward and awesome, especially with USPM. *Insert obligatory comment about how slam is also ridiculous and over the top*
What sounds "straightforward and awesome" sounds over the top to others. There are genre elements that preclude it from being really popular. If they get rid of those it stops being power metal and starts being pop music.

I am fully aware that slam is ridiculous and over the top. However I am not arguing that it will be a mainstream success. I like the genre's standards and eccentricities which I'm sure seem absurd and stupid to most mainstream listeners and many metalheads. There's nothing wrong with liking slam death or power metal, it's just delusional to think that a mainstream audience would like them.
You call it "pretension", I call it "grandiosity". It's not like most of us take all the posturing seriously, any more than I'd take a fantasy novel seriously. It's just escapist, and occasionally poignant (Kamelot's "Forever"; Sonata's "Cage") which is what I look for in music!
If you take a look at what qualities most people like in music, grandiosity is certainly not one of them.

Ah, but we are talking about the future, when overpopulation will make homosexuality not just accepted, but fashionable. Then Manowar shall reign supreme again!

But don't forget that, after all, all metal fashion is based off of Rob Halford's favorite gay bondage gear.

No, the REAL future is going to make heterosexuality fashionable. So Atreyu will be real metal.

Pop is cheesy.
Not inherently...

Anybody who doesn't realize that Manowar is the ultimate pinnacle of heterosexuality has a fundamental misunderstanding of manhood, and possibly of metal as well.
This is so fucking true that I will now carry it in my sig.

What sounds "straightforward and awesome" sounds over the top to others. There are genre elements that preclude it from being really popular. If they get rid of those it stops being power metal and starts being pop music.
You know, you haven't even specified what you're talking about, so this is hard to discuss. What's over the top? The vocals are too high? The music is too symphonic? Too fast? The lyrics are too silly?

I am fully aware that slam is ridiculous and over the top. However I am not arguing that it will be a mainstream success. I like the genre's standards and eccentricities which I'm sure seem absurd and stupid to most mainstream listeners and many metalheads. There's nothing wrong with liking slam death or power metal, it's just delusional to think that a mainstream audience would like them.
I know, that's why I said it was obligatory. And I don't think it's delusional to think power metal could be popular; glam was popular, despite being really over the top.
If you take a look at what qualities most people like in music, grandiosity is certainly not one of them.
I don't know why you say that with such certainty...

You know, you haven't even specified what you're talking about, so this is hard to discuss. What's over the top? The vocals are too high? The music is too symphonic? Too fast? The lyrics are too silly?
Yeah
I don't know why you say that with such certainty...
Because the majority of people I know don't like grandiose music and most pop music is very simple

Anybody who doesn't realize that Manowar is the ultimate pinnacle of heterosexuality has a fundamental misunderstanding of manhood, and possibly of metal as well.

See people? Now that's true.:headbang:

Randy, for being someone from Massachusetts...your English sure is terrible

This thread has gone way off topic.

Metal will continue to carve a path of carnage while the weak cower in blissful ignorance.
I meant to say a while back, after watching that Manowar video, that it's really kind of silly that we're sitting around talking about this on the internet when the simple truth is: metal has a future as long as there are people who believe in it, who feel it in their hearts.

Randy, for being someone from Massachusetts...your English sure is terrible

Ok I am not the best of writing in english but im not the worst.Most of my spilling test from school this year have been 90 or 100 so im not the worst spiller but when I go on the internet,I might see some mistakes and fixed it. Back on topic Metal will live on until the end of the world comes.