The Gaming Thread

Had to take a break from Dark Souls 3. My controller's block button is slowly breaking, so at random times I will just stop blocking which is obviously beyond unacceptable in a game like this. Block is probably the most important function in the game, and no matter how hard I try I cannot get used to Mouse + Keyboard. My fingers just can't find the right buttons so I lose seconds mid-combat trying to remember what to press when the pressure is on. At those vital moments I need split second accuracy I find myself panicking trying to figure out what to press. For me Dark Souls is the pinnacle of a game meant for a controller and since my L1 button stops working at random times, I have to wait to buy a new one. Pretty annoyed right now.

On the bright side I think DS 3 is a pretty big improvement on DS 2. The difficulty was low for a very brief time before ramping up. The Firelink Shrine makes things a little bit casual since you now have a one stop, easy access location to do basically everything, but the enemies themselves seem to be more consistently challenging to make up for that.

Part of me misses how hard Dark Souls 1 made you work for everything still. There was no fast travel and no selling items for souls until more than half-way into the game, but at the same time that got a bit annoying when you wanted to start a new character and had to wait for like 20 hours to move quickly between areas.

When I replace my controller I will resume. Just can't handle getting killed for any reason other than my own fuck ups. Technical issues are not acceptable reasons to die in a challenging game.

Reactions: griev0r
Glad to hear your liking it Belac! Yeah I think the difficulty curve is pretty good, sure I died plenty of times over and over but the real spike for me came trying to beat Pontiff Sulyvhan (boss of the Boreal Valley), must have taken 50 attempts at least.

I play with mouse and keyboard, it took some remapping of keys and some memorization but it's second nature now. I tried with my Steam controller and just couldn't get the hang of it, but it's a weird controller to begin with.

Last edited:
Guess I need to 'git gud' lol. I'm not a Dark Souls expert by any means but I'm totally addicted to this game. 110 hours in at this point about to finish my first playthrough, I'm at the Lord of Cinder boss fight right now and he's kicking the shit out of me.

One of the things I love, and also hate about this series is the lore and story. I love how dark, depressing, and deep it is... but it is so fucking hard to wrap your head around. I love how cryptic everything is, but the RPG nerd in me wants a long cutscene explaining stuff sometimes lol. Trying to piece things together from 2 sentence item descriptions and nuances in the architecture/world is not an easy task. I find myself looking up lore videos on Youtube and delving into the DS3 reddit community to try and understand it all the time.

But yeah, I could go on and on about this game. I'm about to beat it and it makes me want to go back and beat DS2 (I got to The Rotten in that one), and never played DS1 which everyone says is the pinnacle of the series... but it will be hard being spoiled with DS3's visuals and better controls.

The vistas and imagery from the start to the absolute end of the game continue to amaze me. As you go through the game seeing places in the distance you've been or you are going towards... amazing. Just took this tonight..

http://i.imgur.com/xJaDDqi.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Belac
As aspiring game designer it pleases me seeing how much people enjoy lazy enemies and difficulty design :)

Oh were you not done talking about female character's asses yet?? My apologies, I know how important that is.

Pontiff was pretty easy for me. The swamp though, is where the curve up started. The level design is grrrrreat.

I just realized when playing agian that the Boss I am at is not the fabled Pontiff. I fucked up where I was, not even Boreal Valley.

Last edited:
Only u guys seem to care about asses as an issue. Normal and superior being like i am doesnt give a fuck, because Aex knows, that female has ass and tits just as male has muscles to show off.

It all just makes my job easier. Hire artist for 50 bucks that will make terrible character model (youre just gonna say that it represents deformed minority), 50 for another guy that will design combat mechanics and boom, for a price of few big pizzas you have a masterpiece for plebs. Now just code the fucking game and count the $$$

I tried ranged in the first Dark Souls and didn't care for it. It was too repetitive and there was almost no loot potential since ranged equipment is so limited. I suppose it worked but it wasn't much fun. You can go hybrid ranged/dex melee but once your melee reaches a certain point you are better off choosing one or the other oncd combat starts. I rarely saw a reason to switch mid-combat.

Magic is pretty effective and honestly it makes many combat situations very simple, but I always find myself wanting to start beating things over the head after a while.

I didnt even know you can play as those classes. Never saw a single gameplay of someone without sword and shield.

Well, that would just scream bad game design again, but its getting boring me bashing this game.

I always roll a dex / pyro master build first in the souls games. Both effective in the single player and against other players.

Ive been watching a series of semi-documentaries for older games and the history of both the game and the developer. It's actually really interesting, lots of random facts and insights on how things came together. Here is the Id Software videos I am currently watching, and also Half-life since I'm sure that will be very cool too.

Wolfenstein

Doom:

Quake :

Half-life

Thanks, gonna watch them during classess next week :3

Now there another one of my butthurt incoming.

But first, I just want to recap what happened to Valkyria Chronicles series:
1. VC released on ps3, quite successful, nothing big
2. SEGA is like "PEOPLE LOVED THIS GAME, IT'S MECHANICS AND THE CHARACTERS EVEN THOUGH BEING DRAWN IN ANIME STYLE WERE VERY LIKEABLE EVEN FOR ANIME HATERS. YOU KNOW WHAT WE SHOULD DO? RELEASE THE GAME ON PSP BUTCHERING ITS MECHANICS AND FILL THE GAME WITH OBNOXIOUS GENERIC ANIME SCHOOL STUDENTS"
3. Valkyria Chronicles 2 is released, while being fine in terms of gameplay for PSP its story and characters were absolute cancer.
4. SEGA is like "OMG SEEMS LIKE WESTERNERS DONT LIKE OUR GAMES, FUCK THEM"
5. VC 3 is released on psp in japan only, the mechanics are again good and the story is also good again, but sucks to be you if you dont know japanese.
6. VC is rereleased on PC. Huuuuuge success, tons of money for this easy port. People seem to love this game!!!
7. "GUYS PEOPLE LOVE OUR GAME, LETS DO ANOTHER!!! YEA, BUT THIS TIME INSTEAD OF IT BEING A TACTICAL GAME LETS MAKE THIS ACTION RPG WITH ANIME TITS"

WHAT THE FUCK CHING CHONG WHAT ARE YOU DOING.

And the same happened with Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem Awakening was supposed to be the last game of franchise, but the whole world loved Awakening so yea, sequel. Again, anime style, but story was good, characters likeable, mechanics were good, but slightly worse than in previous games. Still very playable.
Fire Emblem Fates happened. Released in 2 part like fucking Pokemon and AGAIN THE STORY SUCKS AND CHARACTERS ARE GENERIC ANIME OBNOXIOUS RETARDS.

WHYYYYYYY

#edit
Oh well, at least it seems like the next game wont suck, but it will be released in japan only. time to learn new language.

Last edited:
Ive been watching a series of semi-documentaries for older games and the history of both the game and the developer. It's actually really interesting, lots of random facts and insights on how things came together. Here is the Id Software videos I am currently watching, and also Half-life since I'm sure that will be very cool too.

Wolfenstein

Doom:

Quake :

Half-life

Wow! Thanks alot! Watched ep1 at lunch. Will see the rest tonight. Fucking awesome AYEEHEHEYYEYE

I have officially beaten my first Dark Souls game. It took 100+ hours, but I think this is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long, long time. I tried as hard as I could to never summon help for bosses, I know it's part of the game but it almost feels like cheating. The feeling of beating that insanely hard boss by yourself is such a good feeling.

So, for the last 4 days or so I've been stuck on the final boss. Tonight I was considering summoning help just to finally beat it but gave it one more go. Survived by the skin of my teeth, good lord.

https://www.twitch.tv/griev0r/v/69631654