the good ol' "introduction song" thread with a off-topic twist

Hey Shreddie? Don't think too much about it. Pick whatever song you want her to like, and if she doesn't then you know not to waste your time. If she digs it then maybe there's something to pursue. Do you really think you might start liking her if she ends up liking SyX? If not, then don't waste your time. Play her "The Witching Hour", scare her off, and get back to your life! (And don't get me wrong, I like TWH, but I could see how a new listener might really not like that song. I didn't at first.)

I'll tell ya, these women will drive you nuts! Just be yourself and show her what you like. If she digs it then you've won half the battle. If she doesn't then don't try to convert her, it won't happen. But having that true common link will make a huge difference in any relationship you pursue.

Good luck! :)

shreddi let us know how the showcasing goes..

inferno is basically the song i use when showing symphony x, mainly for romeos kick-ass performance all the way from beginning to end.

and I would suggest only showing Masquerade if you truly want to scare her off for good. When I first heard that song my ears nearly bled I thought it was so horrible (the rod tyler version). Even the Russ version although isnt quite so bad, isnt a whole lot better.

Okay, so I met this chick that was into progressive rock from the seventies and eighties (Her favorite bands were Rush, Kansas, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Steve Vai. She also likes Dream Theater)...

So, naturally, I asked her if she likes Symphony X. She never heard of it, so I told her I'd introduce her to some good music...

I start off with "Lips of Ashes" by Porcupine Tree. She says it was okay, so I let her listen to Trains. She says that was okay too, but she said it would be better with violin...

I was like, "Holy shit, perfect setup..."

Accolade II. Through the whole song she was smiling and laughing while rocking back and forth. She was in awe of the band. She said she really liked the bass, and she professed to having a soft spot for crazy bass stuff...

I just laughed, and slipped in Sea of Lies. Same type of reaction as the first song...

Then she said she was a fan of some musical play that had great vocals with a lot of range...

I said, "I can top it. In fact, I can top it on this very album..."

Candelight Fantasia. The first thing she said when it finished was, "I could kiss you right now..."

So, I would do the songs in that order, Accolade II, Sea of Lies, and Candelight Fantasia...

I saw a pretty cute girl at the last SX concert, but I wasn't about to just go off to the side and talk to her while the set was going on. And I couldn't stay after either, so oh well. My friend said she was actually giving me a pretty good look, which has pretty much never happened to me ever.

Haha yeah seriously... the only chick I know that likes prog rock at my school is some really fat annoying ugly chick that won't shut up about Rhapsody and doesn't even like SyX.

I don't care what the chick looks like, but if we can both listen to Symphony X together, I'm game. First thing I look for in a woman, musical preference. Tells quite a bit about their personality. How many scholars do you see bouncing with rap?

-Kronikle

Yeah, I would have SERIOUSLY started going after this chick if I didn't already have an awesome girlfriend who is also a fan of the SymX...