The Gothenburg Sound - NWOSDM

Sep 8, 2005
Ok Guys, im a fan of swedish death metal, but i always wondered, where it came? i mean why sound that way, so unique??
I remember when it was called "The new wave of swedish death metal" with bands like At The Gates, InFlames, Dark Tranquillity, Etc.

Maybe people in sweden can explain me this, what are their roots, Folk??
I remember when i read in the in flames website many years ago that they played folk metal (Ok, lunar strain/subterranean sounds folk, specially the acoustic guitars, but jester race?), this is when whoracle came out i think, well, their melodies, sounds weird, im from Mexico, and i dont know why but that kind of melodies sounds really strange to me. maybe im just crazy lol, but if is folk , for me is very exotic, haha.

Here, we consider At The Gates, the pionners of this genre, but maybe im wrong, and i bet that were more bands in sweden at that time that contributed but the creation of that sound, (i think on Dismember), a sound that travels around the world., the melodies, the guitar rythm tecnique, is unique, but is so common this days.

Now i listen to all new Metal Core Bands (All that remains, As i Lay Dying etc.) and i hear that swedish influence in all that bands, maybe in this time the swedish style is an standar, but is not named "swedish styled" anymore.

I would love to hear sweden´s folk music. the folk music we have here in Mexico is interesting, but donsn´t work well in Metal, well i dont like it, here we have a lot of folk bands, but the most cool prehispanic metal band i´ve ever heard, is a band from Russia Called "Tenochtitlan" ironic uh? a band overseas that plays better folk prehispanic music, than Mexican bands, lol.

It's a lot of folk influence, with the melodies and whatnot, combined with real melodic influences from Preist and Maiden, combined with deathmetal, basically.

I've heard In Flames described as Iron Maiden on crack... I think it fits.

yeah, there was a time , when press always said that of inflames (death metal with maiden guitars). and make sense, but i still hear those melodies a little bit weird, in the good way of things, i like it a lot. as for the rhythm parts, i supposed it came from Death and Thrash Metal, but i think was innovative as hell.
I really want to know who put all this together, who invented it, or where it came, maybe is a stupid question, but Swedish and Mexican culture are way too different.

mm, the Oldest Album i recall with that sound is "Slaughter of the soul", and then i think "Jester Race" or "The Mind´s I" This for me are the three albums that represent this sound.

This man is the godfather of the Gothenburg sound:

swedish_chef_02.jpg

This man is the godfather of the Gothenburg sound:

swedish_chef_02.jpg
Haha, who´s him??

Well, Skydancer doesn´t has the sound, i think the red in the sky neither or the Gallery(more focused to melody and a little bit doomy and melancholic.

I remember that all starts with slaughter of the soul, this particular album has the guilt of all this sound, is the oldest album i heard with that Fast and tight Down picking style, then The Mind´s I (Men, this is tight down picking!)

I remember this W.A.R. Compilation cd, with a lot of swedish bands, with that cd i discover Dark Tranquillity and In Flames, Super Undergound bands in that Days.