The great and all powerful religion thread!

But I was not putting a negative religious spin on it, I was just stating it as fact, in a more poetic and slightly ironic way.

lol.

The burden on my mind is not fear. Some of it is a concern for those who may end up in hell, and a lack of understanding about the whole thing. Knowing there is an unachievable standard. And don't misunderstand and think that I am whining or feeling so overwhelmed with my faith. I believe that God provides what we need to deal with these things, and can give his followers very fulfilling lives. Christianity is not about scaring people into doing good. It is about truth. The way to heaven is not doing good, it is accepting the truth. It's about knowing that all humans are on equal ground in regards to positional righteousness. These are the most basic ideas of Christianity, but I understand that what is modeled by Christians too often gives the impression of what you are talking about. The self-righteous superiority and condemning words that come from Christians, not out of love, but out of something else. Yes we should all strive to live at peace and be decent to each other regardless of religious beliefs.

To be honest, most of this paragraph makes no sense to me at all, and you've neglected to answer most of my questions. The burden on your mind isn't fear, but "concern about those who may end up in Hell"? ie. yourself and the people you know, right? "Concern" equals fear. The phrase "God fearing man" came about for a reason.

It seems bizarre to me that you're content to live your life knowing you can never reach some "unachievable standard". None of us are worthy, and we only have a fulfilling life because God gave it to us. What about all the evil bastards in this world who live extremely fulfilling lives? And this "truth" you speak of, what is it? How is it truth? How do you know it's truth? And is it accepted without question?

I find it interesting how religious people view athiests as moral free demons.

Especially when athiests usually behave like level headed people. (Like not drowning thier children in a bathtub)

You're not reading me. I gave hypothetical examples such as healing, changing weather, influencing outcomes of human action and interaction, killing someone, intervening is events to save the life of individuals, etc. These things have real effects on the real world, but can remain unexplainable and even go unnoticed, at least by most people.

Vampires and trolls do this stuff too, and they also go unnoticed by most people because they're stealthy creatures. By your argument, those things exist too.

It surprises me that people here are actually still willing to debate with you over this crap, given how relentlessly biased and ignorant you've remained about these topics after all this time. You really don't deserve the benefit of a doubt you've been given, you know.

To be honest, most of this paragraph makes no sense to me at all, and you've neglected to answer most of my questions. The burden on your mind isn't fear, but "concern about those who may end up in Hell"? ie. yourself and the people you know, right? "Concern" equals fear. The phrase "God fearing man" came about for a reason.

Doublethink is a pretty convenient debating tactic, isn't it?

why would you go somewhere if the priest is telling bullshit and the people are all brainwashed sheep? it's like saying "yeah i'm catholic but i'm not a stupid catholic like most catholics"...

Like I said, it helps to have a balanced input of perspectives regarding faith and religion. The church I go to, the few times I do, is staffed by priests associated with Harvard University, its divinity school, and who serve as the chaplains for the university's Catholic Student Center. These guys have doctorates in theology and put a lot of substance into their arguments. I'm not saying I agree with what they are saying, but it helps me better understand why people choose to be religious etc.

I remember going to a Catholic church for one of my classes a year ago, me and my Dad didn't know when to stand or sit and we didn't know the prayers to say or the songs to sing, the songbook was included in the same book as the message so it was pretty easy to tell we had never been to a Catholic church before, it was very organized and a lot more formal than the Southern Baptist church I had gone to my whole life.

Vampires and trolls do this stuff too, and they also go unnoticed by most people because they're stealthy creatures. By your argument, those things exist too.

It surprises me that people here are actually still willing to debate with you over this crap, given how relentlessly biased and ignorant you've remained about these topics after all this time. You really don't deserve the benefit of a doubt you've been given, you know.

Be careful about jumping in to a converstation without knowing where it has been.

You're right. The Bible even says to fear God. I interpret that both as to have reverence towards God, and to have a perspective such that you realize he is the creator and you are the creation. That you may feel this way or that and like or dislike the way he does things, but in the end he has the final say. I do not interpret it to mean that I need to walk on eggshells and worry about getting struck by lightening.

This, along with the whole realization of the existence of God and all of the spiritual realities that exist are more of a burden than thinking that I am only responsible for my actions insofar as how they affect my surroundings (including people) and my future on this Earth.

Ok, I will try to do a better job of answering all of your questions. I just want to preface it by saying that all of the discussion between you and I stems from a misunderstanding of my comment about atheism. I simply said that atheism might be a more comfortable belief system for me, but I am convinced otherwise, so it is not possible. Also, I am not here in this thread to argue and try to defend Christianity as a religion.

No, not at all. I'm saying that Atheists don't look at it that way. 'Eternally rotting in the ground' is very much the negative religious spin on Atheism. Why must there be an "eternal reward" anyway? Do I really deserve a reward for being a decent human being?

As I said before, I was just being a bit poetic and ironic, and a little bit metal, in the way I said that. In my view we should all feel a responsibility to live a good life and respect others. I think the reward for that kind of life comes naturally as far as living more at peace and in harmony with others. Avoiding connsequences is also part of that reward. In other words, not commiting crimes keeps peace in society, as well as keeps you from going to jail. This is not to say that doing the right thing always has the desired results, and this is true within Christianity as well. So no, I don't think I (you, whoever) deserve a reward for being a decent human being.

Actually we live on in the memories of those we knew, and our mark is made in whatever large or small way because we were here. Why does having no afterlife have to mean our existence was worthless?

I didn't say that. Yes we make a mark and people remember us and are affected by our existence, but to the dead person, their own existence stops and consciuosness ends.

This is a prime example of the reason religion was started in the first place: Scaring people into doing good, or be damned to eternal Hell. The 'burden on your mind' is fear.

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to the whole "scaring people into doing good" thing. The eternal reward of Christianity comes not as a reward for good deeds done. The position of Christianity is that nobody is worthy of the etrnal reward, but that God paid the price for it through Christ's sacrifice and it is now available for anyone who would accept the gift. Righteousness is attained positionally, not by good deeds. Yes, Christianity goes on to teach that there is sin and that it should be avoided. It teaches us ways to be a good human, as discussed above. This is a good thing. Again, I am not here in this thread to argue and try to defend Christianity as a religion. I am simply answering your statements about the teachings of Christianity and how your statements don't correctly represent them.

And your logic fails when you think about the mass murderers who 'find God', ask forgiveness and believe they will go to Heaven.

How about just being a decent person NOW because it's the right thing to be in the society we live in instead of because of concern about being judged and penalised after you're dead?

The second statement is addressed above.

I think I see what you're saying about my logic failing. That a "bad" person can get a similar eternal "reward" as a "good" person, and so this is effectively the same as what I said about in atheism that everyone gets the same result, no matter what life they live. What I can say about that is that the "reward" is not based on deeds, and the point I was making about the atheistic world view is that there is no higher power to answer to about anything done in a person's life. It is simply a fact that there is less pressure on one's existence when there is nobody to answer to.

It seems bizarre to me that you're content to live your life knowing you can never reach some "unachievable standard". None of us are worthy, and we only have a fulfilling life because God gave it to us. What about all the evil bastards in this world who live extremely fulfilling lives? And this "truth" you speak of, what is it? How is it truth? How do you know it's truth? And is it accepted without question?

First off, I do not accept it without question. I question it and continue to evaluate it. I know that many of you think that all Christian are just sheep who follow without question, but that is untrue and frankly insulting.

I do believe that all good things come from God, and I don't believe that those good things are limited to Christians. We all (most of us) have good things in our lives. Good music, good food, relationships...the list goes on. The rain falls on the good and the bad. People profit from ill-gotten gain. The world is not fair. But I believe that a relationship with God can bring a peace into a life that is beyond circumstances, and transcends human understanding.

I believe in an unacheivable standard, but also that it has been attained for me. I am content because I am content, and am thankful for what I have.

As far as truth goes, I cannot prove to anyone what the truth is, and I honestly can't even be 100% sure of it myself. That is where faith comes in. I do have faith that it is true. By past and present evaluation I have become convinced. I am also convinced that what I believe that I know is a tiny percentage of the whole picture and I am sure that I am incorrect is some of my thinking about what is true. What more can I say?

I find it interesting how religious people view athiests as moral free demons.

Especially when athiests usually behave like level headed people. (Like not drowning thier children in a bathtub)

It is interesting, but not all "religios people" think that way.

Think about this, how can a person who believs in God as creator think of an atheist as a moral-free being? If I believe that God created us (including atheists) with a conscience, then I believe that it exists in all people.

So I am "relentlessly biased" and have "remained ingorant" because I haven't conformed to the views of those I have been discussing these things with? Because I haven't abandoned my beliefs? Please tell me your not serious.

I do believe that I have earend some level of respect around here. I have continually discussed ideas while others argue their points. I do not revert to name-calling or insults, but am often on the receiving end of both. I have tried to stay focused on the topic at hand while being barraged with an array of opposition which often nitpicks periferal details of the things I say in an attempt to discredit my arguments. Not everyone does things, but many do.

I am not whining. I enjoy these discussions.

I do believe that I have earend some level of respect around here.
I think you have, at least from me. Sometimes it is frustrating because you never seem to get what we are saying, but that is the nature of debate. This is a topic that can get personal fast and thankfully you and the other majors players in this debate haven't which I am happy about. I too enjoy this debate a lot.

As for your points in response to satanstoenail: I remember my catholic friends telling me that God had sent everyone invitation and that all I had to do was accept it, so I think your view is fairly widespread.

I was also interested in how you said that you continually evaluate your beliefs which of course is a good thing. It can just be hard for us atheists to believe that because to us it is so blindingly obvious that any thinking would lead you to atheism. Please don't confuse this with arrogance, rather it is hard for me at least (not sure about others) to think in an irrational manner.

So I am "relentlessly biased" and have "remained ingorant" because I haven't conformed to the views of those I have been discussing these things with? Because I haven't abandoned my beliefs? Please tell me your not serious.

I do believe that I have earend some level of respect around here. I have continually discussed ideas while others argue their points. I do not revert to name-calling or insults, but am often on the receiving end of both. I have tried to stay focused on the topic at hand while being barraged with an array of opposition which often nitpicks periferal details of the things I say in an attempt to discredit my arguments. Not everyone does things, but many do.

I am not whining. I enjoy these discussions.

I admit, you're sportsmanship is quite admirable, and mine was definitely not in my last few posts. I apologise for taking potshots. But it's really frustrating to listen to the kinds of arguments you make, because they do indeed sound biased. Especially when you say stuff like:

I gave hypothetical examples such as healing, changing weather, influencing outcomes of human action and interaction, killing someone, intervening is events to save the life of individuals, etc. These things have real effects on the real world, but can remain unexplainable and even go unnoticed, at least by most people.

Do you mean to say that this is actually a legitimate point of argument? I could justify the existence of any friggin' mythical creature I want to just by saying "they have a real effect on the world, you just haven't noticed it yet". Seriously.