The great and all powerful religion thread!

I do not know the answer. The Bible says Christ died for all people, to save them from their sins. It also says that this gift should be accepted, and can be rejected. There are a ton of scenarios that don't fit the churchy idea of accepting Christ as savior in some formulaic way, and I would not presume to be able to understand what is in the heart of each individual, or second guess exactly how God judges each situation. You have people who have never heard, people who may not understand, and a whole array of situations between and beyond those.

What I fall back on is that the Bible says that God loves everyone (John 3:16), that he desires that none should perish (1 Timothy 2:4), he judges based on knowledge, he is just and merciful (I don't have time to look it all up).

when i was Orthodox we had a saying in the church: "god judges everyone according to the light they have been given. those who have been given more of the truth are held to a higher standard then those who have less". So essentially from their point of view it is possible for some non-believers to be saved... but it is a mystery known only to God. as far as baby's, the Orthodox church baptizes them not because of original sin or to save them from hell (the orthodox don't believe that babies or infants go to hell) but to sacramentally integrate them into the life of the church.

Mainstream evangelicals (or whatever) don't baptize infants.

i know that... i was responding to the other posts regarding god sending unbaptized babies to hell... from the orthodox point of view even though they baptize babies the idea of unbaptized babies going to hell is ludicrous

Sometimes Rabid makes some semi-decent posts in this thread tbh such as pointing out inherent atrocities/hypocrisies of the Christian God.

But what *is* a wonder is that so many more people, with just as little tangible proof, seem to naturally embrace the idea of the existence of a supreme being and creator. I know it doesn't prove anything, but it is something to think about. It's not nothing.

I think it's just that most people are afraid of dying, and of their lives having no meaning after their death.

And I'm not sure you can really say that there are huge numbers of people "naturally" embracing religion, since most religious people are brought up by religious parents.

Btw, I don't really feel like reading over the discussion leading up to the point I was attempting to argue against earlier, so I'll just go ahead and apologise for my unwarranted dickishness. I feel pretty bad about it now tbh.

I have noticed this too, as well as his comments (more then once) that if God exists, he is not actively involved in the affairs of the Earth's inhabitants.

Props to RH.

So I guess that would make... let's see... 1 thread that he's actually contributed to on the forums?