THE GREAT COLD DISTANCE | New Album Talk HERE.

steel102 said:
that mentality got chucked out the window when it was discovered that artists made a couple cents per cd sale, and most of the money went to the record label. that being said, i'm definitely buying great cold distance when it comes out :Spin:

But when people download, that couple of cents dosnt get to the band at all and they make nothing out of it which is worse

So when can we expect the first reviews of the new album?

In the "warning" thread i thought it said no reviews until album is released, but that can't be right?

Her own Pride said:
I love Katatonia, but you thing they might fucking praise those who DON'T download the album??

Why should they? it dosnt make sense to thank someone for not stealing from you.
The album should not have been leaked and fans of the band certainly shouldnt be downloading it. As fans we should have a certain respect for the band.

steel102 said:
that mentality got chucked out the window when it was discovered that artists made a couple cents per cd sale, and most of the money went to the record label. that being said, i'm definitely buying great cold distance when it comes out :Spin:

I don't think that has anything to do with it. The reason is because there's a sheer endless supply of MP3s and seemingly next to no incentive to buy music.

Apart from the money issue, depends on the labels. Labels shell out a lot for marketing etc., pay the studio (up front, if you're lucky), etc. Labels incur expenses, it's not as if they make tons of bucks profit on every cd they sell.

is stealing...they say...It's bullshit...when you go to the store and listen to a cd to decide if you buy it nobody would say it's stealing... I always DL an Album before I buy it, so I have a little time to get into it...this way I end up buying MORE CDs then I usually would because I might come to find something I like at second sight...otherwise I'd drop it back to the board and leave it in the store... I buy ALL Albums that i like, and I hardly ever keep the downloaded files, when I have the album....It's a question of sincerity to delete something you are not willing to buy...still I believe that there are lots of labes that rip off fans by out of line prices for ticktes, merch and all that stuff... The Bands hardly ever get the good deal...and it's not due to downloads...It is because there are very few people left who could be called decent...and those people don't download mps....they sign bands....

I have no problem with people not downloading albums, but c'mon a few of you need to grow up. Big deal, I'm sure Katatonia hates me for downloading and owning all their albums.

See, I absolutely love having the freedom to hear music before paying money for it, and in turn I think this does the band better by allowing more people easier access to their music. And all of these complaints about the buildup to the album's release is lame, if an artist paints something new and someone in his/her hometown gets to see it before it makes it to your country, what is the deal? The artist gets their work out all the same, and I highly doubt that Katatonia would be nearly as popular as they are were it not for internet, because their label or whoever does not promote them well if I may say. I see this only as a benefit, almost all sane people I have talked to who download music also own the cd's and buy them because they loved the band so much when they first heard the music downloaded.

hell.....I remember the day when you had to just go buy stuff......maybe youd hear of someone in a magazine or something.......I bought Arcanum.....avd Ved Buens Ende that way.....just off the cuff.......shit.....I heard Katatonia from a comp cd I bought.....

I downloaded Devin Townsends Accelerated Evolution and that was the biggest mistake I've made in years...I hadn't heard anything by him except for Strapping Young Lad so when Accelerated Evolution came out and the reviews said it was really good mellow music I didn't want to buy it before hearing it. The official site didn't have any mp3s so I went to Kazaa and downloaded the whole album (overnight...56k). I thought it was the best thing I'd heard that year so I listened to it for a month straight then bought the album and was already "over" it so I never listened to the album again. I did it again a few years ago for something I was extremely excited about (Opeths Deliverance or Damnation I think) and it really just killed my anticipation. It ruins everything by downloading. There's nothing like getting the album you've been looking forward to for years and putting it in your cd player for the first time.

Most bands now offer a song or two from their albums so theres no reason to use any third party downloading thing. Just listen to the clips on their official sites and don't ruin everything by downloading the whole album...Actually, even clips can be a bad thing...If My Twin was the full song for download I'd have listened so much now that when the album finally came out, I'd skip the song in disgust everytime I heard the cd (good to have the guy in the middle say something and only have a minute of the song).

if it wasn't for mp3's i would never have found katatonia. I read a review of VE sounded like it might be good so i DL it.

I now own FFTC ep, VE, LFDGD, TD, DO

thats more cd sales for katatonia, and every bit helps:)

Well the times of all days waiting for the albums, then walking to the store and getting know that the album you wanted to buy is not available right in the day of premiere are lost nowadays. It was sweet, this whole excitement, endless nights of no sleep and then buying and putting shit quality MC to your tape player after having this all tears and sweat. I miss it very much but it's all evolution of technology and mankind and now Internet is on the top :Smug:

I think that if you dl a cd and you dont buy it the reason is:

A: You dont like it

B: your a lil bitch arse

C: you can't buy the cd due to it being hard to buy

I can relate to C living in Aus, the only way to get there cds is on the internet, and if you dont have a CC then your scewed. In that situation i think the band wouldn't mind so much. After all its not about the money its about being heard.

madr0x said:
if it wasn't for mp3's i would never have found katatonia. I read a review of VE sounded like it might be good so i DL it.

I agree, If it wasn't for the internet,I would've never crossed over from the bullshit MTV crap to some real metal. In Israel there aren't too many metal record shops. And what you find in regular chain stores like tower records outside of Tel Aviv is mainly bullshit nu metal like limp bizkit.and a very small down to non existant tru metal section which is mostly gathering dust.
and trust me, nothing makes me sadder than a dusty "Viva Emptiness".
When you have no virtually no exposure to metal anywhere, the net is where you'll find everything you need and some adresses to where can you buy metal stuff.

VampiricYouth said:
Isn't there a lot to be found in Shenken Street?

I was actually refering to the Metal shop at Frishman 42.
but you can find nice shit on Shenken too...I think the "third ear" store moved there recently.

Anyway to know about these places the net helps quite alot.

madr0x said:

Yes Madr0x, that's true, but what about someone who does ALREADY know Katatonia and for some reason he's unsure wheter to buy or not the new cd: if mp3' downloadin was banned he would probably be "forced" to buy it to get to hear it! and that's the way it should be!!

and i'm not talkin about official teasers downloads...that is cool

Downloading music is way too much radicated in "our" mentality (not in mine...)