THE GREAT COLD DISTANCE | New Album Talk HERE.

chicagospleen said:
mmm... I wonder if KATATONIA got a copy of KLIMT 1918’s "dopoguerra" in ther hands or possibly visited their site (www.klimt1918.com or even better "http://secession-spirits.splinder.com/")... that is because the artwork for "In Great Cold Distance" seems kind of an imitation of the (perhaps amazing) Italian act’s latest CD.

It might be just a simple coincidence…. yet KLIMT 1918 has become rather popular in the European music scene and I'm shocked that the occurrence went unnoticed.

Ren
So the covers are both red, so what?

In response to chicagospleen...

Simply, I do understand why you might feel that way. Simply again, though, I feel that the newer music of Katatonia is still of great merit. It is true that, on the surface, their new sound is not too obviously different from other underground music as the earlier albums may have been. There are two things that come to mind, however. One, it is surely still quite despairing, emotional, and Katatonic. Two, the style and way in which their music is written and executed is (again, despite not being obviously different), is unique and effective.

I feel that often the newer work (and perhaps Katatonia's music in general) has to be heard a certain amount and given a chance (listened to with an open mind) to be truly appreciated. Of course it's possible that even despite doing that, a person will not like the music...but still, I think what I've mentioned about Katatonia's music is true, and that it also applies to some other music (though usually not to the extent that it is with Katatonia, for some strange reason).

Also, sometimes people just aren't open to or accepting of change/progression.

In any case, though, may music be enjoyed...!

I can't begin to explain how good this song sounds to me.
I actually hope the song is a lot longer than this, and I suppose it will be.
I noticed that a few people have taken a stab at the lyrics, and I noticed one or two things the people before me may have missed.

The neck, (then the?) shame
The head is hung in shame
The neck, (then the?) shame
The head is hung in shame

I thought that you (went cold?)
That you would carry on
But now that I am gone
What else's been withdrawn?
You used to be like my twin
And all that's been
Was it all for nothing

Are you strong when you're with him
Do what has placed you
Above us all

I think our love
I let it pass
It feels like fire
But it won't last

You used to be like my twin
And all that's been
Was it all for nothing

Are you strong when you're with him
What has placed you
Above us all

What is it coming to
I am *unwilling* to go on
You have lost
Noone has won

That's my analysis, anyway. It helps to hear the song about 100 times hahaha.
I can't wait until March, or February for that matter!

To the posters disappointed with Katatonia after Brave Murder Day:

Why are you still listening to Katatonia if you no longer like their sound?
You should have stopped listening 4 albums ago.

There is only two real reasons for expressing your opinion about this.

1. You're truly unable to accept change in this regard.
2. You have deluded yourself into thinking that if you complain hard enough, maybe, just maybe, Katatonia will make "Dance Of December Souls Part 2".

It's not happening, things change, get over it.

Is anyone else getting tired of this attitude in metal?

jesse said:
A new site will be up sometime prior or around when the new album comes out

Why does the official site always have to go offline for several months before a new album comes out? Why don't you put up a link to the "old site", or something like that? I personally couldn't care less, but I remember all the people who flooded this board prior to the release of 'Viva Emptiness', asking where they could get information about the band.

@Deliverence6 about "New" Katatonia discussion

Fans have every right to criticise bands cause they are the ones giving their money and this "official" thread has been opened for getting their ideas of the song/album, but noone has no right criticise the fan/fans so i disagree with you totally.

I have been listening Katatonia before "Brave Murder Day" released at first i did not like it too but in time it gripped me and have still.It happened in Discouraged ones too so that you could say that you will love the new album in time but when i first listen LFDGD i began to realize something is beginning to change.Katatonic atmosphere is beginning to be lost or something that is not defined by words.You can ask "why?" cause until that day EVERY song of Katatonia are masterpieces and in that album you find "sweet nurse" and "passing bird" (these songs are good too but only good not much more and the lyrics are "pop")and when i got VE i said to myself "they are beginning to die" you can not understand why i have still listened them i GREW (i dont like that word but i have to use it) up with them.They are now a member of my family or one of my friends and you won't leave your friends or family when they make only one MISTAKE.You will forgive them.In VE there are less masterpiece songs and the lyrics of the all album except A Premonition,Will i arrive,Burn the rememberance,Wealth.And one song of that album has the atmosphere of Katatonic and that was Inside the city of glass so i hoped that next album would be like that.

Now we have only one song even the song title sucks, song is very good but again it is not a masterpiece but close to that, maybe when i listen the whole song i will call it as a masterpiece.I hope no "swearing" on this album.I've said many many times before that Katatonia was no "aggressive" they gave you the feeling of loss, not anger and that was why i like them.and one sentence make me they are now back.

"Do what you placed above us all"

Ohhh but i have doubts now that they have a REMIX and a pop/alternative LOGO.I hope that they will give a new meaning to REMIX and pop/alternative LOGO.

And Finally;I love you Katatonia even if you make a video of swimming pools,sport cars and hot chicks, i will be with you.Even if i'll leave you,you will still be one of my family member.

@Deliverence6:btw your lyrics of "my twin" is totally true this is where i agree with you.

lifeless_life said:
:ill: im so upset, it doesnt sound like katatonia anymore though, it just sounds like nu metal crap same style same everything , so predictable, i didnt shit my pants aswell, more than this, im halfways dead,no wonder why jonas keep on listening tori, maynard spect same shit:hotjump:

hmm... There is something off about this post....KATATONIA, is that you?:err:
You cant make a fool outta me:hotjump:
:D

Deliverance6 said:
go back to your hardcore asstaggin cave and listen to what you think Katatonia sounds like.....grow up....like Katatonia has....refine yourself like Katatonia has......understand that I am in no way disregarding the fact of what Katatonia has done in the past.....but they have grown as paople and as musicians....and if you cant grow as a fan....then stay stuck on yourself.....and keep on believing that nothing should evolve and grow...that is what I predict will happen to you....youll be like my highschool buddy who still sits in his room 10 years later.. ranting about how noone can truly appreciate the works of the Misfits....and how they shouldnt even listen to them....
Rant on dude....my advice is to take a listen to the new katatonia CD when it comes out and then listen to some nu-metal......if you cant tell the difference....then the problem is you....not katatonia....
ask yourself....."what is wrong...not with Katatonia...but me"

Reece

Agreed.

One can make the same argument with Katatonia's release of Saw You Drown and Discouraged Ones. In those albums, their sound changed completely. They were more rock based, the vocals were clean, and their logo changed.

I don't know why you couldn't see this change coming, as Katatonia's sound has progressed further and further away from it's doom/death roots and transformed more and more into rock.

The sample is amazing, and we have the band's opinion that this is the best album they've ever made.

If you criticize them for writing the music they want to play instead of the music that you want to hear, then you're criticizing them for NOT selling out. It's that simple.

I preferred the old new logo. And the song is good, but nothing worth creaming your pants about. I hope I won't be as indifferent towards this album as I was towards VE.

Also, I don't understand why some people here feel the need to attack those that are dissatisfied with the new song. I seem to recall that a certain Anders Nystrom wrote a long diatribe on the latest Paradise Lost album, where he used some very similar arguments to the ones above (sold out, betrayed their roots, etc) and no one batted an eyelid.

The funny thing is that i tried to imagine what would the cd sound like and what was the artwork going to be. And i got it right.

Red artwork, and viva emptiness enriched in tonights decision. I really have no words on Katatonia. They amaze me.

And it amazes me that i know that someone thinks same as me.

Cheers to all.

Despite the fact that I feel I would be repeating what everyone has already said, I just have to say it again wow wow wow.
I just downloaded the single and, needless to say just two seconds into it I knew it was an amazing song...it's so nice to hear this special Katatonia sound again...reminds me of the first time I ever heard one of their songs.
For all the people who somehow think Katatonia isn't what it is anymore, I say too bad for you, you're missin out!
I think that what's a band is all about: growin up as a group, growin up together, in mind, in music, in lyrics, in soul...and Katatonia has surely been doing this its own way...the way it should be. Their music is evolving with them, and they are evolving with their music; naturally some fans will stay on the boat, and others will remain on the islands of the old albums..hehe:)
Ah well, again! Wow...just can't wait to hear the album..
Cheers to all!

As far as what Chicagospleen had to say is concerned, I have to keep reminding myself that you are entitled to your own opinion. But it baffles me. Through the years, Katatonia have done nothing but progress and develop as musicians. Jonas Renske has, in my opinion, done nothing but improve as a lyricist, using interesting concepts about real emotions, rather than most lyricists who fail to attain some REAL feeling.
My Twin excites me. How can you not recognise that Jonas has never sounded this sorrowful? there is a beautiful fragility to these vocals, and they are, to my mind, by far the best he has ever produced. This is a progression, and a good one. Evolution is key to the life of all bands. If you keep making the same music...you have no purpose.
Equally, I cannot understand Nystroms rant against the (very good) new Paradise Lost album. It is the same basic sound as their last several albums, with nick Holmes producing some excellent vocals. the only difference for me is that i do think Katatonia have more potential than PL, and that Katatonia have yet to peak, whereas Paradise Lost have already (and i don't care what people say, they did so with the marvellous Host).
Oh, and for the record, if you think that Opeth died after My Arms, Your Hears, then you clearly haen't got a clue what you'r talking about :loco:

cool designs and shots at all but the promo pic reminds me an old "left hand path" session.

ent_1990.jpg

entombed2.JPG

k1.jpg

I can't describe with words how happy I was when I saw the news on the site. I have checked every bloody day for a long time now and suddenly the news was there. At first I even thought I had entered the wrong page, but then I read, and I was happy as hell!

I like the name of the album very well, and the cover looks damn good. I can't understand why someone compares the cover to klimt 1918's latest album cover. The only thing I can see they have in coment is the color. Many bands have had red covers before, and Katatonia can't bloody reinvent a new color for everytime the make a new album, can they? They never have, and they never will!

At first I was a little disapointed by the new song, but I was the same with Viva Emptiness, so I gave the new song some time.

Now I really love it. I try not to listen to it too much since I want to save it till I get the entire album, but it's damn hard.

Now I'm going to listen to katatonia all the time untill one of the new releases is in my hands. I just created a new playlist with all Katatonia's releases sorted after release dates. I added "My Twin" at the end. Im looking forward to that one!

Go on Katatonia! You are the best band in the world. And please come to Trondheim, Norway someday.

I think we should wait until the official lyrics of the whole song are released before commenting...anyways I don´t think that Jonas writes personal lyrics anymore...but everyone can think what he wants..

As for the music, the guitars remind me a lot of "criminals" (my dreams, dreams of violence..) especially in the refrain...and the intro has got a kind of tonigh´t decision atmosphere...great, great, I love it!

Now, does anybody know where this huge cross is at? I did a Google search, but only found the trees:

image49.jpg

Look at the Entombed picture. It's them. So I would think it's the Woodland cemetery...

Now, who's got the cross? :)

I suck at using Photo Shop, otherwise I would now post a picture of my own band with that background, haha