The heaviest band/album you've ever heard

A couple of Bloodbath songs are pretty heavy to me, regardless of who they were influenced by; namely The Soul Collector from Resurrection Through Carnage, and, of course, everyone's favorite Eaten from Nightmares Made Flesh.

Gorguts is also pretty damn heavy, I like what I've heard of them quite a bit.

And, hmm... one really heavy song I heard recently was by Dripping (thanks Cookie). Damn. The guitar tone was pretty shitty but it was definitely heavy as fuck.

I'll second WORMED and Electric Wizard (if you have a good audio system and turn it up, Dopethrone will shatter your teeth).

Neurosis is another good candidate. Their use of dynamics makes them feel a lot heavier to me than a lot of the more convential extreme metal does.

Suprised to see so many Electric Wizard votes. I recently picked up their new one and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I take it Dopethrone is better?

I haven't heard much Brutal DM (I'm more of a BM and melodic DM guy), but I think the heaviest album I've ever heard was Tomb of the Mutilated by Cannibal Corpse. Either that or None So Vile by Cryptopsy.

That's a joke, right? I mean, you know that Bloodbath is paying homage to a bunch of bands from the late 80's/early 90's that were heavier than them, right?

Could you name a few of these bands? I'm interested in hearing this heavier music.

Also they're not always consitantly heavy, but they have their moments when their music is absolutely soul crushing (in my opinion anyways).

Entombed
Nihilist
Dismember
Carnage
Grave
Unleashed

Those bands are pretty much the blueprints for Bloodbath's sound, atleast on the first few releases (when the band was still actually considering themselves primarily a tribute band, something I think they should have just stuck with).

I don't see how Bloodbath have a place in this discussion. Awesome, yes, but not all that heavy. Although the guitars on Resurrection Through Carnage were pretty heavy. I guess they have a couple moments of truly crushing heaviness, mostly on Nightmares Made Flesh.
The heaviest album that I actually own would probably be In Their Darkened Shrines by Nile.
Heaviest that I've heard is probably Devourment. I should probably check out Wormed, I guess.
Some goregrind can be pretty heavy, too.

It depends on how you define heavy. If you mean how deep and bassy is the sound, then maybe I should mention Incantation. If you mean how fucking brutal and crushing, then I don't really see why doom metal is coming up.

Crowbar - Sonic Excess
Cannibal Corpse - Eaten Back to Life
Napalm Death - Utopia Banished/Nasum - Inhale/Exhale

All Different definitions of heavy

Suprised to see so many Electric Wizard votes. I recently picked up their new one and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I take it Dopethrone is better?

I actually thought Witchcult Today was one of their least heavy albums. If you listen to Come, My Fanatics and Dopethrone, I think you'll find that the sound is a lot thicker and crunchier.

Anything by Sunn 0)))....

Try to find something more heavy than that!

I think Electric Wizard more than makes up for their minutely-lighter sound by having more than 2 beats per minute. :p