The little things that ruin albums

Cynic: Focus (It was the early 90s, maybe we should forgive them for getting overexcited about vocal manipulation)

Indeed. I'll forgive them because the music is so good though.

On a related note: Does anyone own the remastered version of Focus? And is it much better mix-wise?

I'll second the Harnessing Ruin comment. I find Onward to Golgotha to be slightly ruined because of the overuse of blast beats.

Onward to Golgotha is enjoyable, but it's too damn long for a brutal death album and it's sometimes tiresome to get through it in one sitting. Can't say I like it as much as I used to.

I think The Chasm's Deathcult for Eternity's album could be much better without the ear-splintering guitar tone and vocals to match. Still quite good though.

I

Borknagar: Quintessence (the songwriting is great, the production is god awful)

Well, in my opinion (and not just because its my favorite album all time) that the production is perfect. It's unique from the productions of their other albums that its the only one to convey a darker, almost apocalyptic atmosphere. And the guitar tone sounds so unique that listening to the songs so many times they still sound fresh apart from other black metal.

I probably have a list for this thread, but I've got classes to deal with first.

All Ministry albums: the fucking retarded audio clips littering almost every song. God, I hate that shit.

XD

I almost shit myself when I read this. I totally agree, though I have only heard one Ministry album and it was enough.

Is that the one with bonus tracks?

If so, I own it and it is awesome.

Yeah the one with the bonus tracks.

I'm wondering how it stands up in comparison to the original though. Are the vocoder vox as loud? Is the guitar sound still really thin? Is the mix any better?

When bands decide to put a long silence, sometimes like 5 minutes long at the end of a song, for like... no reason!
and then sometimes they add some little acoustic thing or talking right at the end.
Sonata Arctica do it, and I think Anathema maybe.

When bands decide to put a long silence, sometimes like 5 minutes long at the end of a song, for like... no reason!
and then sometimes they add some little acoustic thing or talking right at the end.
There's a Weird Al song where he makes fun of this. There is about ten minutes of silence at the end of the track and then he just screams crazily for a little while.

Yeah the one with the bonus tracks.

I'm wondering how it stands up in comparison to the original though. Are the vocoder vox as loud? Is the guitar sound still really thin? Is the mix any better?

Well, I've never heard the original recording, so I can't tell you. The production is still somewhat raw. That's all I can add.

Electric Wizard too.

I just edit those sections out on my computer with Audacity.

Vesania's God the Lux. The last track on the album is like 20 minutes of silence. Retarded.

Wow, that's pretty gay.

Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies - guitars too low in volume.

Dodheimsgard - 666 International - long periods of non-metal bullshit, and every other track is some lame piano solo.

Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao - "necro" production
.........Grand Declaration of War - Maniac