The little things that ruin albums

Every album from Megadeth after RIP is too soft, too generic, too slow, and the vocalist is bad.

Every Children of Bodom album is ruined due to generic guitars and melodies

Scar Symmetry albums are ruined due to generic guitars that get old fast.

Dimmu Borgir albums after Stormblast are ruined due to generic guitars and sloppy guitar play.

Can't come up with much else atm. I'll come back later when I remember more albums.

I love Sacramentum's Far Away From the Sun but the drumming, specifically the overuse of blast beats coupled with the drummers general sloppiness, takes away from an otherwise riff and melody perfect album.

things that ruin albums =

(if you can understand them) shit lyrics, like morbid angel's domination, can be unbearable to listen to, and i would never let any non metalhead hear it.

shit production. either to fuzzy or to clear.

or female vocals.

over blasting by drummers.

and 2-3 guiter riffs per song.

those are the killers of metal albums.

Mike Amott makes everthing better and I dont consider his playing to be wankery...not even in the least bit. Hybrids of Steel which is the instrumental on Doomsday Machine is amazing and reminds me of Satriani or Vai.

fo sho

his playing in Carnage really makes that band shine.

Paradise Lost on Gothic

great album

But if you take away all the instrument masturbation, is it still prog/power?

there is decent power metal out there (as I've learned) that still utilizes clean vocals and isn't filled with wankery. Iced Earth being a prime example.

Mike Amott makes everthing better and I dont consider his playing to be wankery...not even in the least bit. Hybrids of Steel which is the instrumental on Doomsday Machine is amazing and reminds me of Satriani or Vai.

Can't say it better myself. he is one of my all time favorites.

Every album from Megadeth after RIP is too soft, too generic, too slow, and the vocalist is bad.

Dimmu Borgir albums after Stormblast are ruined due to generic guitars and sloppy guitar play.

Can't come up with much else atm. I'll come back later when I remember more albums.

:kickass:Really want to see your comments on In flames.

Look who discovered a new word!

Mike Amott makes everthing better and I dont consider his playing to be wankery...

Each to their own. But as a bassist I find the fact he wouldn't let Sharlee D'Angelo play his own parts on the album quite insulting. Still a decent album though, as long as focus more on the vocals (which isn't exactly difficult).

And satanic lyrics make albums for me, in my view. As long as they are amusing and offensive. Bleeding The False by Aeon is a great album for exactly that reason.

Master's Hammer - Ritual (a great thrashy black metal album ruined by absolutely horrid vocals)
Back Sabbath - s/t (ruined by the hard rock song thrown in)
Graveland - Following the Voive of Blood (would be a good album but ruined by the guitar tone)
Nocturnus - The Key and Thresholds (would be better without the overuse of keyboards)
Forgotten Tomb - Negative Megalomania (ruined by the clean vocals and occasional alterative-ish guitar work)

power metal, in general, is ruined by the operatic vocals.

Well that applies to alot of Cannibal Corpse albums, really. Though personally I think the non-metalness of his attitude in the later albums ruined it more. Though I was getting a bit bored of him wanking off his guitar for several minutes during each of his songs.

Thank goodness Paul and Alex are writing most of the songs nowadays.

Speaking of guitar wankery, Doomsday Machine by Arch Enemy was nearly ruined by that. Bloody Mikael Amott. He wouldn't even let the bassist play during the studio recordings either.

Personally I think Alex was the best song writer on TWS and Pat being 2nd.:headbang:

A lot of Pentagram's releases suck because the vocals are up way louder than the rest of the instruments. The guitars should be the dominate force in Pentagram.

Hey blue jay, do satanic lyrics ruin albums?

yes it does for me because if I listen to a band that does that then it's like I support satan, and satan's freakin worse than hitler.

Really want to see your comments on In flames.

In Flames is a perfect metal band. They create the most amazing melodies, guitar tones, and guitar rhythms ever made. The only weak spot on the band is the drummer who has a horrible taste of music and because he thinks RTR is their best album. That's like the only album I dislike by them. My favorite from them is Clayman because my first name is Clay. Anders is a perfect metal vocalist also.