Top 10 albums of the year (a picture thread)

LuminousAether

My name is Distance
Dec 22, 2001
Columbus, Ohio
www.hypnos.clan.st
1. The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

f92087aap9e.jpg

2. Poison the Well - You Come Before You (also album cover of the year)

f92899z3kre.jpg

3. Beloved - Failure On

f93800zb24v.jpg

4. Cave In - Antenna

f74406hlibb.jpg

5. Solefald - In Harmonia Universali (second best cover of the year)

f89996nrk9v.jpg

6. Enslaved - Below the Lights

f90448cr6v8.jpg

7. Ephel Duath - The Painter's Palette

f93484hxdrb.jpg

8. Cursive - The Ugly Organ

f75398abwgi.jpg

9. Haujobb - Vertical Theory

f96144z4z1m.jpg

10. Dog Fashion Disco - Committed to a Bright Future

f87778rb6df.jpg

The Mars Volta are like 70s prog rock mixed with a bit of modern emo. Take At the Drive-In and meld them with early Santana, Rush, and Yes... and you are mostly there. The songs are on average pretty long, it's an 8 song (2 intros) album that's about an hour... and one song is over 12 minutes. There are a few ambient dub parts with some electronic effects, which are the "boring" parts Fangs doesn't like (I personally love them). Don't let the emo tag turn you off, it's not that noticable and there are no relationship songs. Instead, the album is a concept story about an artist friend of Cedric named Julio Zenegas or something like that who went into a drug induced coma and upon waking up committed suicide. The lyrics are VERY abstract. For example one song features the repeatedly shouted chorus "Exoskeletal junction at the railroad delayed!"

Basically, if you like 70s prog, get it at all costs.

LuminousAether said:
The Mars Volta are like 70s prog rock mixed with a bit of modern emo. Take At the Drive-In and meld them with early Santana, Rush, and Yes... and you are mostly there. The songs are on average pretty long, it's an 8 song (2 intros) album that's about an hour... and one song is over 12 minutes. There are a few ambient dub parts with some electronic effects, which are the "boring" parts Fangs doesn't like (I personally love them). Don't let the emo tag turn you off, it's not that noticable and there are no relationship songs. Instead, the album is a concept story about an artist friend of Cedric named Julio Zenegas or something like that who went into a drug induced coma and upon waking up committed suicide. The lyrics are VERY abstract. For example one song features the repeatedly shouted chorus "Exoskeletal junction at the railroad delayed!"

Basically, if you like 70s prog, get it at all costs.

Hummm looks DAMN interesting...can you suggest me a song or two to sample?

WHAT???????????

This year has had so many awesome releases that it was hard to pick just 10! And guess what, it's just a bit past halfway over! There were only a few releases from last year that I thought were amazing, Dredg and Agalloch being the best. This year, the first 7 albums in my list are 9 / 10 at the least. In my opinion, odd years have always had the best music. 1999 was without a shadow of a doubt the best year for metal ever, and 2001 was no slouch either.

Wow, I can't believe someone actually liked that Poison the Well album....I hated myself for listening to it :ill: Flame away....

Anyway, I have only heard five of the albums you listed...maybe I'll check out the rest.

And The Mars Volta album is certainly good, great even...but not album of the year on my list.

My album of the year is still 'N Crugu Bradului, followed closely by Below the Lights.

Damn you guys are so cynical...'I haven't heard 10 albums that I deem to be listworthy'...this year has been awesome so far, and still five or so months to go. Anyway here's mine so far...

1. Negura Bunget - N Cragu Bradului
2. Devin Townsend Band - Accelerated Evolution
3. Ephel Duath - The Painters Palette
4. Nevermore - Enemies Of Reality
5. Skinless - From Sacrifice To Survival
6. Cult Of Luna - The Beyond
7. Nostromo - Ecce Lex
8. Nasum - Helvete
9. Anthrax - We've Come For You All
10. Strapping Young Lad - SYL

Bubbling under: Opeth, Aborted to name but a few...
Have yet to hear (but I know will be great): Dimmu Borgir, Arch Enemy, Stampin' Ground etc.

OK, here's my list:

1.-Negura Bunget-'N Crugu Bradului
2.-Enslaved-Below the Lights
3.-Devin Townsend Band-Accelerated Evolution
4.-The Mars Volta-De-loused in the comatorium
5.-Farmakon-A warm glimpse
6.-Ephel Duath-The Painter's Palette
7.-Opeth-Damnation
8.-Windir-Likferd
9.-Mogwai-Happy Songs for Happy People
10.-Massive Attack-100th window (yeah I know, everyone hated it...I love it)

This list is contantly changing for me though, as I do think this has been an AWESOME year for music.

Overrated albums which are only decent or mediocre:
Radiohead-Hail to thief
Katatonia-Viva Emptiness
The White Stripes-Elephant
Antimatter-Lights out
Arch Enemy-Anthems of Rebellion

EDIT: Added Arch Enemy to the overrated list