Top 10 albums of the year (a picture thread)

Half of the year is over... Best albums so far:

Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Skepticism - Farmakon
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter - Have A Nice Trip
Enslaved - Below The Lights
Cult Of Luna - The Beyond
Solefald - In Harmonia Universali
Alchemist - Austral Alien
Subway To Sally - Engelskrieger
Nasum - Helvete
Soilwork - Figure Number Five

LuminousAether said:
I don't like Pain of Salvation at all really.

In Absentia was the worst Porcupine Tree album in years, and Lightbulb Sun was a step down from Stupid Dream.

In Absentia, the worst PT albums in years? No way!!

Katatonia would have been on my list earlier in the year, but I haven't listened to it since then and I tried once about a month ago and I couldn't stand listening to it anymore. This is the first Katatonia album I have got bored of that quickly, what a shame. And the reason is simple: Blackheim is playing worse than he ever has. He substituted melodic leads for guitar effects. Fuck that.

There are still quite a few albums that are getting favourable press that I need to check out. This weekend I plan on buying a boatload of CDs, and then maybe I'll have something resembling a list.

LuminousAether said:
Signify and Stupid Dream and Recordings >>>>>> Lightbulb Sun and In Absentia.
I bought the Signify reissue (with the Insignificance remasters) last week. It's nice but a bit boring and nowhere as good as In Absentia.

It's not the dub part of Mars Volta I don't like. Cicatriz ESP is the only song that annoys me, because A) it drops out over and over and comes back with the exact same thing it left off with.
B) they cut out the "State your preferaaaaaance" chorus, which pisses me off because it was one of my favorite parts of the demos.

I DO like De Facto so how would I dislike the dub parts then!?!?

but anyway... I will return to this later.

Drunkship is sing along too imo.

and Son Et Lumiere

and Intertiatic ESP

and Roulette Dares.

mindflesh said:
I bought the Signify reissue (with the Insignificance remasters) last week. It's nice but a bit boring and nowhere as good as In Absentia.

Give it more time, you'll realize how much better it is with time. There are no songs on any of their later albums nearly as good as Waiting or Dark Matter.

DarkestHourHiddenHands.jpg

Darkest Hour - Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation
(yes, even they admit the cover art rather sucks and many say it gives a false impression of the contents)

B00009ATKS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People

ooh shiny! almost blinded me on the trip back home from buying it...

B000092Q46.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Anthrax - We've Come for You All

B000089CKC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Haunted - One Kill Wonder

B00009B8G2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Eels - Shootenanny!

B00008YJQW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Deftones - Deftones

solitude.jpg

Forest Stream - Tears of Mortal Solitude

eduath01.jpg

Ephel Duath - The Painter's Palette

B000095J90.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Powerman 5000 - Transform
yes, you heard me.

B00008J4P5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The White Stripes - Elephant

I am probably the only one who will list a lot of these hahahaha oh well, I don't care :)

Reactions: Hitori
I can't believe no has said:

Lamb Of God - As The Palaces Burn

f88186ux30i.jpg

I bought "Deftones - Deftones" and "Biohazard - Kill or be Killed" and those were good albums released this year... The rest I bought are earlier released albums.

Wow, the Poison The Well is that good, huh?

I got into those guys like two years ago when a co-worker gave me their EP. It was hard as fuck to find shit about them online. Now they're all popular and shit. Word.

Still haven't got their previous album (the one before the new one) or the new one though. Need. Money.

LuminousAether said:
Hey fangs, whatever you do: do not read my review of The White Stripes on www.hypnos.clan.st
:lol:
thanks for the warning :)

I'm used to reading nasty reviews of a lot of things I like (all one has to do is visit pitchfork and you will see at least one negative review of something you like, unless you just hate everything...)

IcemanJ256 said:
FangsFirst: How's the new Mogwai compared to Rock Action? It's the only one i have and it's pretty cool so i'm interested in checking out more.

It's closest to Rock Action (ie, as opposed to Young Team, Come On Die Young, or any of the EPs, 7"s and so on) so you might like it.

check the mp3 (or the video even) of Hunted By a Freak at their site: www.mogwai.co.uk

I Havent bought too many CDs that came out in 2003 yet, I like to wait till march or april of the next year to do lists like this so I have time to buy everything :p but this would have to be the list so far:
1 Nightingale - Alive Again
2 Anekdoten - Gravity
3 Forest Stream - Tears of Mortal Solitude
4 Antimatter - Lights Out
5 The Gathering - Souveneirs
6 Opeth - Damnation
7 Gordian Knot - Emergent
8 Radiohead - Hail to the Theif
9 Andromeda - II=I
10(Ulver) - 1st Decade In the Machines

Ulver's Quick Fix of Melancholy is probably gonna be #1 in 2 weeks :D

Did you really think that Ulver remix album was that good? I only thought a few remixes were good. Speficially, I like the Martin Horntveth, the Neotropic, the A Wiltzie vs Stars of the Lid, and uh... I forget the other one. I couldn't stand the Merzbow one, but that was expected as I've never understood the thrill of unstructured noise, such as Merzbow's usual output and his work with Mike Patton (Maldoror).

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /usr/home/mahke/public_html/forum/includes/functions.php on line 2798

THE HECK

...thanks FangsFirst, will do!
and I didn't think the remix album was that good, but I like it better than the new Katatonia and Devin Townsend which was the only other 2 things I bought in 2003! I LOVE the A Wiltzie vs. Stars of the Lid, and Bogdan Raczynski, and a few other tracks a little bit.I just can't get into the new Kat/Devin Townsend at all :(