Top 10 rock albums (a picture thread)

LuminousAether

My name is Distance
Dec 22, 2001
Columbus, Ohio
www.hypnos.clan.st
These are fun... and this forum has a lot of boring threads right now... so...

Here's the criteria:

No metal.

No electronic based music.

Just rock n' roll.

Prog rock is ok.

Classic rock is ok.

Indie rock is ok.

Country rock is ok.

And these are my favorite albums, and this is obviously my opinion so don't mention it. Also, I do not have an album on this list unless I have had it for at least a year if not 2 or 3, otherwise... how do I know if it will stand the test of time?

And now for the list:

1. Radiohead - Ok Computer
d544430209i.jpg

2. The Afghan Whigs - Black Love
c94153up6s4.jpg

3. Failure - Fantastic Planet
e398620ux2w.jpg

4. Cave In - Jupiter
e23756zmoj4.jpg

5. Anathema - Judgement (this one isn't metal in my mind, more like dark emotional based prog rock)
e48807jt42m.jpg

6. Porcupine Tree - Signify
d00961v2tre.jpg

7. Faith No More - Angel Dust
c47779yigj1.jpg

8. Mr Bungle - California
d68211dny65.jpg

9. The Melvins - Stoner Witch
d149169xlqb.jpg

10. Alice in Chains - Dirt
d126685546t.jpg

MODIFIED LAST 4 (originals here) so make these 11 - 14 in your minds:

7. At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
8. Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne
9. Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
10. The Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen

LuminousAether said:
3. Failure - Fantastic Planet
e398620ux2w.jpg
HAHAHAHAHA, holy shit. I thought I was the only person who ever bought this album. I really did enjoy when I bought it, oh, probably 6-7 years ago. I don't know what happened to it, but when I was a DJ for my college radio station (yes, I had to do it for a class), I would always play that one popular song from the album. Forgot the name.

Dreamlord said:
HAHAHAHAHA, holy shit. I thought I was the only person who ever bought this album. I really did enjoy when I bought it, oh, probably 6-7 years ago. I don't know what happened to it, but when I was a DJ for my college radio station (yes, I had to do it for a class), I would always play that one popular song from the album. Forgot the name.

That album is utterly amazing. It's my favorite Failure release by far and it was a huge influence for the next album down my list, Cave In's Jupiter. Poison the Well seem to be directly influenced by Failure at times, but I think that's probably in all actuality an indirect influence by Cave In...

But check out Cave In's cover of Magnified, it rules.

And A Perfect Circle are covering a song from Fantastic Planet, The Nurse Who Loved Me.

I believe the popular song you are talking about is called Stuck On You. That song is awesome... but I listened to most of the other songs more, like my personal favorite, The Nurse Who Loved Me.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
I can't come up with 10!

I'd say:
1 - The Beatles - The White Album
2- Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
3- Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic

Errr...do The Shamen count?!

How old are you?

Nothing demeaning, I'm just curious. Most people have the fondest memories of albums from their teenage years, which is obvious for me by looking at my list. :lol:

Here are some of mine:

Clutch - Clutch
clutch.jpg

Clutch - Pure Rock Fury
pure.jpg

Kyuss - Sky Valley
sky.jpg

Boy Sets Fire - Tomorrow Come Today (kind of emo-ish punkish hardcore, definitely not metal)

tct.gif

Boy Sets Fire - After the Eulogy
ate_big.jpg

Dreamlord said:
Here are some of mine:

Clutch - Clutch
clutch.jpg

Clutch - Pure Rock Fury
pure.jpg

Kyuss - Sky Valley
sky.jpg

Boy Sets Fire - Tomorrow Come Today (kind of emo-ish punkish hardcore, definitely not metal)

tct.gif

Boy Sets Fire - After the Eulogy
ate_big.jpg

Your top 3 images aren't working...

But that Kyuss album definitely rules.

If you like Boy Sets Fire that much, you would probably like Thursday as well.

LuminousAether said:
I believe the popular song you are talking about is called Stuck On You. That song is awesome... but I listened to most of the other songs more, like my personal favorite, The Nurse Who Loved Me.

Yeah, Stuck on You. I loved the beginning, how it was just minimalistic and then everything just came together as one. Good song.

LuminousAether said:
How old are you?

Nothing demeaning, I'm just curious. Most people have the fondest memories of albums from their teenage years, which is obvious for me by looking at my list. :lol:

I'm 26.
Albums from my teenage years were AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Metallica, Maiden, Van Halen and heavier stuff like Kreator and Death. No rock, except Dire Straits I'm afraid - I've always been into metal or heavy rock!
Oh, I do like some Madonna songs but thats about it for pop/rock.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
I'm 26.
Albums from my teenage years were AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Metallica, Maiden, Van Halen and heavier stuff like Kreator and Death. No rock, except Dire Straits I'm afraid - I've always been into metal or heavy rock!
Oh, I do like some Madonna songs but thats about it for pop/rock.

Hmm... you are 4 years older than me. That would put your teenage years at the heyday of grunge (instead of post grunge like me (check out numbers 2 and 3 of my list, hehe).

So...

You weren't a fan of Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, or Pearl Jam?

Man, Ten and Vs were kick ass albums by PJ and AIC's Dirt was one fucking amazing album.

Come to think of it, maybe I should put Dirt on my list somewhere...

yeah, I know. Beyond Hypothermia was a collection of 7" material and whatnot. Still, BH is my favorite from them.

DAMMIT.

Dammit.

dammit...

I forgot Faith No More, Mr Bungle, The Melvins...

waaahhhh...

I'll have to edit my list. I'll preserve the original in text form for a reference, but my updated list will better reflect my tastes.

LuminousAether said:
Hmm... you are 4 years older than me. That would put your teenage years at the heyday of grunge (instead of post grunge like me (check out numbers 2 and 3 of my list, hehe).

So...

You weren't a fan of Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, or Pearl Jam?

Man, Ten and Vs were kick ass albums by PJ and AIC's Dirt was one fucking amazing album.

Come to think of it, maybe I should put Dirt on my list somewhere...

Yeah, I love Nevermind and I loved it when it came out, but it's not rock - it's FULL of heavy metal riffing! Just like Never Mind The Bollocks.
By the time Nevermind hit I was running around in Slayer and Sepultura T shirts calling Def Leppard a bunch of poofs (I love Leppard these days BTW, maybe they'd count as a rock band).
I'm not against pop or rock music, it's just that I love heavy guitar music so much I don't bother with anything much else unless it's classic stuff like The Beatles who I love.