The Lost Songs Thread

hyena

counterclockwise
Apr 13, 2002
-
This is a thread to find that one special song that you've heard once, twice, maybe thrice a thousand years ago and never forgot. Alas, you never knew the song title or the name of the band playing it. Now you're frantically searching for a sign of its existence, but you can't get anywhere... maybe there's one of us who remembers it and can direct you to it.

The idea stems from the fact that when i was 11, i went to England for three weeks to learn the language. I don't remember much about that trip: I was too young to enjoy the freedom (and my brother was with me, which seriously limited said freedom), and of course I fell in love with the 26-y-o group leader who, ironically, was from the same small city where my current interest was born. But enough of this. We lived on a campus and there was a small disco for the students. I think we went to that disco twice, maybe three times. A song stuck in my head, and all I remembered for years was the melody of the refrain, which said "Follow me" and something else I could not understand with the limited knowledge of English I had at the time. I used to sing the refrain a lot, with changed words (as vintage Guns n'Roses would say, with "alternate lyrics"), fantasizing that the guy I fancied would actually follow me somewhere. This year, I decided I wanted to profit from my new broadband endowment and find the song. I heard several different tunes called "Follow me", but none of them was the right one. Then, on dec. 6th, I was in Prague, at the airport, and I heard it played on the radio. I could recognize Michael Stipe and I was all astonished: I was wondering how come REM had written a song which seemed to have come straight out of my brain. Not for a moment I thought that maybe it was a REM song in the first place after all. When I found the "In time" collection, I realized that I had to buy it, and today I gave a name to the song: it's called Orange Crush. I just discovered it's out of the album "Green", released, lo and behold, on November 7, 1988. I'm just so happy. :D

Now there's another one I need to find, but I'm totally at a loss because I can't remember the original lyrics, only my version. I can't remember the first verse, but it must have meant something along the lines of "If you happen to see me sad..." and then I distinctly remember I used to sing "Don't ask me what, don't ask me why. I think about him. I lost my mind in '89, and I think I'm lonely". I had a pretty good command of English when I was 11, but I was lacking in the synapse department. :lol: The only thing about the actual song that I can recall is that the chorus maybe went something like (but not quite) Show me the love, two people together, show me (incomprehensible high pitched vocals, 80's gay disco style).

All of you dinosaurs out there, any help?

She May Be Your Woman
by Charlie Musselwhite

She may be your woman,
but your woman comes to see me every night
She may be your woman,
but your woman comes to see me every night
You know when she comes rollin' in around 3 o'clock,
in the mornin',
you can only wonder where has your woman been

Hello baby, mama I just had to call you up on the telephone
Hello baby, mama I just had to call you up on the telephone
Thinkin' about ya' all the time,
woman I just can't wait to get ya' all alone

She may be your woman,
but your woman sure comes to see me sometime
She may bee your woman,
but your woman sure comes to see me sometime
You know when she's at home sittin' there lookin', right at you,
my good lovin's what's on your woman's mind

If you happen to see me comin',
better keep your woman right by your side
Yeah, if you happen to see me comin',
better keep your woman right by your side
'Cause if your woman flag my train,
I sure got to let your woman ride

Is this it?

Hyena, if you didn't felt this urging need to adjust song lyrics to fit your own twisted reality, this would be much easier. :D

Noooo, was that naughty of me? Sorry, then. I'm quite a dreamer myself, so I guess I should shut my mouth. And I can't help you on your quest for the lost 80's gay disco song either, I'm way to much of a kidd'o.

I did feel that need in 1989, not now. :lol: Now all I do is change the words to ludicrous, silly things like bubububu.