The mars volta

WTF555666

Jun 9, 2006
Who likes this band, or related ones like at the drive in, defacto, & omars solo projects.

The Mars Volta is one of my favorite bands. I even like Frances the Mute; the long, dissonant, ambient passages were odd inclusions, but I guess I've grown to enjoy them somewhat. Best when you're in a certain state of mind. Can't wait for Amputechture to come out.

What's a good album to start with when checking this band out? They've been on my to-check-out list for ages but I still haven't gotten around to it.

Didn't like this band at all, i heard ''Frances the Mute'' and thought it was too pretentious and annoying, the singer shouts like a retarded Hyena getting kicked in the balls, the guitar solos are completely are out place...and the music itself is so weird for weirdness sake that i gave up,...but i'll listen to it a bit more and see if i change my mind, not saying that they are talentless, but i still think there are far better bands out there...

CAIRATH said:
What's a good album to start with when checking this band out? They've been on my to-check-out list for ages but I still haven't gotten around to it.

We've talked about Mars Volta fairly recently, no?

Anyway, go with De-loused first - through and through great.

Frances the Mute is a good one too expect I find myself skipping over much of the ambient crap such as the final 2 minutes or so of The Widow. "Miranda, that ghost just isn't holy anymore" and "L'via.." are exempilary songs!

Dalkaen said:
The Mars Volta is one of my favorite bands. I even like Frances the Mute; the long, dissonant, ambient passages were odd inclusions, but I guess I've grown to enjoy them somewhat. Best when you're in a certain state of mind. Can't wait for Amputechture to come out.

yeah, it reminds me of pink floyd a little.

Great band, although I haven't listened to them in a while.

Don't really like the new cover art, seems like something that would be up in the student center of my school.

I hope they use ambience better on the next one. I don't think they quite pulled off the noiser passages in newer songs. Seemed overdone.