Mars Volta - Amputechture

De-loused is a beautiful album,I didnt really liked Frances but there are some good songs there,and Amputechture is beautiful,I remember listening to it alongside Tool's "10.000 days",this year has been great for the music world in general

I'm sending this review to an Austin newspaper:

My first impression of "Amputecture" was that The Mars Volta had completely lost it and that they were yet another band whose potential stretched thin after 2 albums, but after a few intense headphone listens I was finally grabbed by what they are doing here, in a very intense way. This is by far their most challenging album, with fewer hooks and far more dense layering/experimentation, Fripp-ish guitar work and unconvential vocal harmonies than ever before. All kinds of strange instruments and odd electronic noises jump out at completely-random-yet-somehow-completely appropriate-moments. This album certainly doesn't contain anything resembling a radio hit, but it has some of the best things they've ever written: the hauntingly minimalistic "Vermicide" and the unsettingly straightforward free jazz/funk exploration of "Viscera Eyes" (seriously, I can't get enough of this song). The frequent acrobatic rhythm shifts of the first album have been replaced by slow-building passages where eerie chord progressions are buried under layers of unconvential melody and instrumentation. The end result is a more "vibey" and consistent sound that is ultimately more rewarding to the patient listener than their earlier work. Highly recommended.

Vex Loser said:
This album certainly doesn't contain anything resembling a radio hit, but it has some of the best things they've ever written: the hauntingly minimalistic "Vermicide" and the unsettingly straightforward free jazz/funk exploration of "Viscera Eyes" (seriously, I can't get enough of this song).

as for radiohit, I think both Asilos Magdal and Meccamputechture (if they radioedit it) are potential hit songs..
i seriously cant stop listening to this album. I think this will be my absolute fav of this year... and as earlier said, this has been a good year for music.

^^ Yeah, the new Mastodon is awsome, top 10 of the year for sure.
As for Amputechture, I think I'll give it a try, I've never really liked The Mars Volta, but now I'm starting to get into the first one

No, he was actually shot at a nightclub in Columbus, Ohio. Pantera is originally from Dallas, TX which is about 3 hours north of Austin.

Just out of curiousity, were you personally affected at all by this recent war with Hizbullah?

Whoa....Dimebag and Hizbullah??!!

This totally took a right turn...let's keep this to Mars and Mastodon and leave religion out.

YOU THINK IM BEING FUNNY!?!? Well maybe...sorta...nah.