The most incredible solos you've ever heard?!?

it might be the -technically- easiest solo mentioned on this thread but the one at the end of anathema's "one last goodbye" is probably the most moving/touching solo i've ever heard in my life.

and the solo on wreath is amazing...the one right after the percussion part! IT SLAYS!

Pieless said:
5char.

Oh, Gilmour is by far my favorite guitarist, but I wouldn't call him the best.

yeh yeh yeh .. I know he's not the best ... he just knows how to craft his shit better than anyone i've ever heard.. so too me that means the best.. not how fast or how technical you can play.. if you can make something perfectly fit a semi-complex song than you are a good musician ..
Do you think dream T would be any good if they werent all wankers?

Bill Steer's solos on Embodiment and This Mortal Coil (from Heartwork).

Paul Masvidal's solos on Cosmic Sea and Vacant Planets (from Human)

Jason Gobal's solo on "How Could I" (from Focus.)

Child In Time from Deep Purple's In Rock contains my personal favourite solo. I was a young stressed out adolescent when i first heard it. My brother in law had all these old records and it simply blew me away.
It is chaotic and obviously improvised and at times sloppy. But hey I will treasure that moment forever.

Petrucci- Under a dark glass moon or whatever its called is brilliant.

Holdsworth- Devil take the Hindmost-Just listen and be amazed.

Armored Saint- Warzone, check out LA metal at its best. two great guitarists at the edge of their abilities.

Alex78 said:
Devin Townsend's "Deep Peace" from the Terria album has a great solo!

The new Devy album (Accelerated Evolution) has an instrumental called 'Away' which has some FUCKING AMAZING guitar work, including a SU-FUCKING-PREME unaccompanied solo near the end. When I saw DTB do 'Away' live, they segued it into the guitar solo spot in the middle of Deep Peace.

:OMG:<---Me at that point.

How did I forget Death - Perennial Quest. Just after Billy's (I think that's his name) excellent solo, Chuck comes in with another 'kin good solo. :cool:

The thread says solo's, not guitar solo's. So my top favs are

John Coltrane - My Favorite things
John Coltrane - Naima
John Coltrane - A love supreme ( yes the entire fucking thing )
John Coltrane - Giant Steps <--Best solo ever.

Misanthrope said:
The thread says solo's, not guitar solo's. So my top favs are

John Coltrane - My Favorite things
John Coltrane - Naima
John Coltrane - A love supreme ( yes the entire fucking thing )
John Coltrane - Giant Steps <--Best solo ever.
respect. i have the complete atlantic recordings. best boxset ever. my only complaint about a love supreme is that it's way too fucking short.