The most underrated bands

Wulfens

Oct 15, 2013
According to you, who are the most underrated bands in the world but should be recognized as legends?
Give some list, the world should know their great talent.

There's huge difference between underrated and overlooked. And I think they're often confused.

Off the top of my head I honestly can't think of one band I truly consider underrated... I don't count excellent obscure / relatively unknown bands (such as Aspid, Gargoyle, Pavor etc.) underrated, they fall under overlooked, for me.

Taramis is definitely underrated in my book. I know they have a few fans, but Queen of Thieves is one of my top trad/power albums, likely influenced by Arch-era Fates Warning but far from a clone. The demo-like production and often out-of-tune singing seem to turn people off though, and in general people seem lukewarm to them (I mean, 2.99 average on RateYourMusic? blasphemy).

Although obviously they aren't "legend"-tier. I don't think there are really any unrecognized legends, outside of maybe Watchtower, godfathers of progressive metal that tend to scare off tech-death and Dream Theater-prog fans alike, the wimps they are.

Slauter Xstroyes. Stupid fucking name, yes, but totally underrated and overlooked prog/power band.

Timeghoul - Incredible tech/death. Not wanky Necrophagist shit either. Not so much overrated these days now that their complete discography has been reissued.

Slauter Xstroyes. Stupid fucking name, yes, but totally underrated and overlooked prog/power band.

Timeghoul - Incredible tech/death. Not wanky Necrophagist shit either. Not so much overrated these days now that their complete discography has been reissued.

Two prime examples of bands which I consider overlooked rather than underrated, as people who have heard of them often consider them great bands (and quite rightly so, too).

I don't know if any of these would be "underrated" as opposed to "overlooked" but here are some albums that are amongst the best in their genre. Only going to look at 20th century, since basically nothing of value can get popular these days.

Carbonized - "For The Security"
Blood - "O Agios Pethane"
Ras Algethi - "Oneiricon - The White Hypnotic"
Ceremonium - "Into The Autumn Shade"

Runemagick - The Supreme Force of Eternity (and other albums)

This is definitely one of those overlooked AND underrated bands. Seriously top-notch death metal that gets little attention and that nobody seems to give a fuck about.

There are too many uderrated bands, but legends:

Overkill

Hanoi Rocks (and Monroe's band)

Crimson Glory

.. just a few came to mind at the moment.

Runemagick - The Supreme Force of Eternity (and other albums)

This is definitely one of those overlooked AND underrated bands. Seriously top-notch death metal that gets little attention and that nobody seems to give a fuck about.

I feel like I'm picking at you :loco: but again, I'd consider Runemagick overlooked rather than underrated. While I completely agree they're top-notch and get little attention, they're actually rated rather highly among the people who are aware of them (or as far as I know, anyway).

------------------------------------------------------------------

For me, it's like this.

A band is overlooked if I think they're really good, but they're relatively unknown, and nobody seems to give a fuck about them.

A band is underrated if they're often dismissed as shit, or not very good and receive negative reviews, when in fact I think they're top.

But there seem to be very few people that really praise them. I mean, if a group has 5 fans and those 5 fans absolutely love and praise the band, aren't they still overlooked and underrated?

Well if they're praised they're rated highly aren't they? So in that case they wouldn't be classed as underrated, no. Regardless how many fans they have.

You strike me as a rather intelligent person, c'mon!! :loco:

I guess you could argue that a band becomes overlooked due to them initially being underrated - but I don't know about that...

In what context? Mainstream metal? Mainstream underground metal? Truly underground metal? I could say Drudkh is underrated overall, but within a circle of people who listen to similar style music, they're pretty popular.

The problem is that acts are either radio friendly or they're not. And past that point there is a very discrete cutoff between people listen to whats on vs. actually exploring for music. Underrated in one arena might be overrated in the other.

Nile is criminally underrated on this board.

So is early Therion.

For me, it's like this.

A band is overlooked if I think they're really good, but they're relatively unknown, and nobody seems to give a fuck about them.

A band is underrated if they're often dismissed as shit, or not very good and receive negative reviews, when in fact I think they're top.
The problem is that receiving negative reviews and being unknown often go hand in hand, because if something gets bad reviews it doesn't receive as much exposure to the public. Combined with the fact that many people like what's popular and don't look any further, a lot of really crappy bands get pushed and promoted ("Varg" anyone?) while some true gems remain undiscovered and thus overlooked as a RESULT of being underrated. Separating the two is impossible in many cases.

The problem is that receiving negative reviews and being unknown often go hand in hand, because if something gets bad reviews it doesn't receive as much exposure to the public. Combined with the fact that many people like what's popular and don't look any further, a lot of really crappy bands get pushed and promoted ("Varg" anyone?) while some true gems remain undiscovered and thus overlooked as a RESULT of being underrated. Separating the two is impossible in many cases.

Nah on multiple accounts. There is a lot of "bad" music that becomes widely exposed as novelty/humorous music, and for the most part larger critics don't care enough about obscure music. I don't completely disagree with you or anything, but there is plenty separating popularity and enjoyability/"quality"-for-those-that-think-their-personal-niche-albums-are-objectively-the-greatest-things-ever.

I agree.

Separating the two isn't always possible but, while you make a great point that negative reviews and being unknown may often go hand in hand, it isn't necessarily the case so I don't think it would be right to marry the two either.

(In hindsight perhaps this is why I struggle to come up with bands which I consider truly 'underrated')