Underrated bands?

scytheavatar

Mar 29, 2008
Which bands do you feel should have more recognition than they are having right now? For me:

Gorod: Leading Vision is without a doubt pure perfection. Full of flair and well-balanced heaviness. People should be mentioning it along with None so Vile and Elvenefris, yet I seldom see it being recommended.

Benighted: Another awesome Death metal band. I hated Brutal death metal until I heard Identisick and Icon, which has the most awesome blend of brutal death I have ever heard. Yet they are often overlooked.

Subterranean Masquerade: It is not easy to excel Opeth when it comes to mixing heavy death metal with soft progressive metal, but not only has Subterranean Masquerade done it they have done it by a landslide. And I am a big Opeth fan. Yet little mention of them.

I am sure there are many more bands I feel are criminally underrated, but what about for you?

Most bands that I used to think were underrated, are apparently quite popular here (Lykathea Aflame)

Blaze is underrated. You know, the former Iron Maiden vocalist Blaze Bayley's new band. They're awesome, if you like... Music. Bah, I'm too lazy to think of words that'd describe them nicely.

Havoc Unit, which is basically ...And Oceans under another name, but with a radically different sound. Few people here seem to have heard of them.

And... Yeah, a lot of people here have heard of Voivod, but I still don't think they get the love they deserve.

I agree with Gorod. Really skilled musicians with a lot of focused technicality. Really brutal too (at least on Neurotripsicks).

As for some others...

!T.O.O.H! - These guys are one of the more interesting tech/grind bands I've come across. If it weren't for Elitist records going under and Earache's lack of promotion for them, they might still be around and (at least somewhat) more recognized.

Reverence - For the most part, black metal really bores me now but these guys really keep it interesting. The french scene is a gold mine for unique black metal. In some respects, they remind me of Blut Aus Nord.

Novum Organum - Yet another bisbanded group that should have recieved much more attention than they got, even if they were unsigned. They reminded me of what Opeth could sound like if they were a tech-metal group. Two of the members of this band are now in Canvas Solaris.

Nazxul, surely. I can see why they aren't more known, though. I'd recommend them to anyone with a taste for quality black metal. It's good to see that they've come out fo the shadows agaian and are scheduled to support Mayhem live when they play in Australia.

A few that spring to mind currently:-

1) Isole, who produce epic doom metal of erm....epic proportions. Second only to Candlemass in that regard, i.m.o.

2) Wall of Sleep - Fantastic traditional (think The Obsessed) doom with clean, deep vocals. Funky riffage.

3)The Lamp of Thoth - The best doom I have heard all year. For real, honky.

4) Spearhead - Awesome blackened death metal from...England ? War obsessed. Pretty much better than Destroyer 666.

5)For Ruin - Excellent melancholic death metal with more than a hint of classic Katatonia (which is to say they sup at the trough of "Shades of God")

Anything from the US Heavy/Power Metal scene. Manilla Road, Jag Panzer, Razor, Metal Church, Agent Steel, etc. It's too bad many people ignore them.

Oh yeah, and the Canadian Heavy Metal band Witchkiller. They only put out one EP, 'Day of the Saxons,' back in 1984, but it totally slays.

Great reply, thanks! Kind of reminds me of a more NWoBHM early annihilator crossed with Armored Saint ?

I'm not so sure about that one. There's obviously a heavy NWOBHM influence as you said, but I'm not sure I think of them as fast as Annihilator. Armored Saint I can see, of course. But oh well, it kicks ass nonetheless.

I'm not so sure about that one. There's obviously a heavy NWOBHM influence as you said, but I'm not sure I think of them as fast as Annihilator. Armored Saint I can see, of course. But oh well, it kicks ass nonetheless.

I should have been more specific - the vocals are really reminiscent of Randy Rampage i.m.o., though this is in no way thrashlike, of course.

Good thread. These bands are overlooked:

Cipher System (great fucking melo-death with some -core references)

Arckanum (the best Swedish black metal ever; barring Bathory, though I listen to Arckanum more)

Vidres A La Sang (got their s/t CD in a bargain section online for 5 bucks...amazing blackened death)

Octinomos (also great Swedish BM, more melodic)

Dripping (supreme slam death with weird samples and big grind influence)

Calmsite (Finnish stoner rock meets melo-death metal)

Symbyosis (New wave of French prog death awesomeness)
etc.etc.

Dripping
Anata
The Day Everything Became Nothing
Gorguts
Hella
Peste Noir
Pestilence
Spastic Ink
Wormphlegm
Gorod

Some of those might be underappriecated rather then underrated.

This is kinda silly, because any good underground band is gonna be underrated by the very nature of being underground.

That said, I'm still beginning to get into the really underground stuff (i.e. stuff that people on this forum may not have heard). However, there are a couple...

All Out War - damn good hardcore/thrash (not metalcore, really...more like crossover). Assassins In The House of God has been getting numerous plays lately. Although it does get boring when every song is a rant about how Christians are misinterpreting God's message and fucking shit up. Beats Glenn Benton's lyrics by a mile, though.

Human Fortress - excellent power metal band. Very medieval feel to the music. My av is their debut, Lord Of Earth And Heaven's Heir. You may have seen me recommending it to people. That's because it kicks ass.

Gun Barrel - Mix of hard rock and power metal and old school motorhead-y stuff that mixes perfectly. Memorable riffs and choruses, very energetic, cheesy in all the right ways.

Eluveitie - this one is well known, but gets a lot of hate. I think they're awesome.