The NBA thread

I'm thinking a Cavs-Lakers finals this year.

Also Nick how would you rank the Celtics in most popular Boston sports teams? Here mine list.

1 Red Sox
2 Patriots
3 Celtics
4 Bruins

I'm surpise that the Celts aren't as popular as they should be in my opinion.

I think that is general feeling among Bostonians. Celtics probably would have surpassed the Patriots if the Patriots hadn't been so good the past decade. We were really a very fortunate sports city in the 00s. Living in Toronto I've seen the opposite and people here are very bitter.

Toranto is a very sad sports city. Ask Leafs fans about that.

I agree that if the Pats weren't good they wouldn't be that big. Celtics have the best history of any NBA team. I can see the Red Sox as they were once great losers but not the Pats.

I very agree. Every sport has some bad guys . The people that watch the NFL are the ones saying shit like the NBA "thug league". One time on the bus, my bus driver was saying that she doesn't like basketball because of guys like AI. I think the hip-hop culture turns lots of fans away.

I've been a massive fan of the NBA since 1991, but I must admit, AI and gangsta culture threw me off and I didn't start getting into the NBA again until 2008. I'm loving what I'm seeing, it's slowly returning to the way it used to be, imo the gangsta culture is slowly waning off, and some interesting players are around.

The NBA is never going to be like it was in the 90's, but, it's in a better place now than it's been for some time. I love it.

I am very worried about the Celts right now. I think they might get knocked out either the first or second round.

I hate to say it, but I think the Celtics' window has closed. They just haven't been good enough this season. I was really hoping for a Boston-LA rematch.

Time to rebuild, and do so around Rondo. Keep Doc Rivers. It's a shame, because they've got a great cast.

I'm thinking a Cavs-Lakers finals this year.

I'm not so sure, and if you ask me, if it is Cavs-Lakers, I think LeQueen will buckle under the pressure again. He just doesn't have the maturity to lead a championship team... yet. Orlando are now tested, I think they'll own Cleveland again.

I have a feeling that if LA and Denver meet, the Lakers could have a much harder test on their hands. They've been over-relaxed this season, but who knows, maybe they'll turn up the heat in the Playoffs. This is after all where it counts.

Orlando or Denver will sure face the Cavs and the Lakers.

The Celts better rebuild since the cast of players are getting old. Doing around Rondo would be great.

The gangsta culture isn't like it was in 2004. Still people think it's a thug league sadly. It's been the best time for the NBA in the post Jorden era.

Initially I found Denver boring. But once I got to know Melo's game (and I have a soft spot for Karl because of the Sonics in the 90s), they grew on me. Also of note, Nene is a very under-rated player. The Nugs run like a tight machine. I think they'll do well in the post-season. They're one hell of a force.

I think we'll see key players from the Celtics get traded in the off-season. The time is now, they need to get to it while Rondo is as young as he is. Time flies. They should nurture Robinson too, from being so one dimensional to someone who has multiple facets to his game. He's definitely got the potential but he needs to calm down.

Agreed re: gangsta culture. The league has really improved, but the gangsta tag has shaken a lot of people off. The league needs to re-market itself and get those people back. It's definitely the best the NBA's been since 1998... although they need to allow for rougher handchecking again! These players sneeze and they pick up a foul ... can you imagine the 90s Knicks in today's league? They'd all get fouled out in a second...

I like Denver. At least it isn't the boring Spurs team.

I think we could see also see guys like Allen being done with the game.

The NBA has stars like Wade and other guys that aren't thugs. Kobe could be tough because of the rape in 2004.

Sadly, I think this is Allen's time to go... I hope it's not his swansong yet, but I don't think he has all too much left in him.

Wade needs to leave Miami imo... he's a free agent soon isn't he?

... and LeQueen needs to leave CLE and head to NY. The Garden needs to become the hallowed hall it once was again.

I hope the Cavs don't win this season. I really can't stand them. Such an overrated and boring team. They have more tattoos then exciting moments.

That hype about Lebron is definitely bigger than what it would be if it was just a rumour with no substance to it. I have a feeling he's going to head to the Knicks too. If he does, well I sure can't wait then. I like them as it is, despite their record. Di Antoni is a great coach, and players like Gallinari deserve a star on the team to help lift their game. Lots of potential in the Knicks.

Yeah any team can make the playoffs if they have LeBron. Thing is, LeBron would be an absolute moron to go to New York. He'd make less money, play on a worse team, and have to deal with the New York media.
His best option if he decides not to stay in Cleveland is to force a sign and trade to a Western Conference power with salary cap and a bit of young talent to offer. If he gives the slightest threat of signing with an Eastern Conference team, Cleveland will gladly pull the trigger on a sign-and-trade so they at least get something back and don't have to see him with an Eastern Conference rival.

edit: one of those teams? Dallas with salary cap relief (Butler and Damp's expirings), young talent to offer (Beaubois, plus they could keep Butler if they wanted).
Wishful thinking... but hey, I almost guarantee that if he leaves he leaves in a S&T.

And here we go!! :)

25467_384109693462_8245623462_3920562_6824434_n.jpg

Personally I can't see Cleveland handling the pressure of a Finals series, even though this time I think they might make it. They could start off with a bang, but I think they'll crumble. They will buckle and fall either 4-1 or 4-2. No way will it be a 7 game series.

For the East conference finals it'll be Orlando vs Cleveland. I have a feeling this series will be neck and neck, but Orlando will need Vince Carter to really bring it on with consistency.

LA will make it into the Finals again, I think they will crush Phoenix in the conf finals. It will be a VERY tough fight in the West conference semi's vs Denver, they'll make it through by the skin of their teeth. Oh and get rid of Andrew Bynum already. I love LA, but Bynum is over-rated.

Yeah any team can make the playoffs if they have LeBron. Thing is, LeBron would be an absolute moron to go to New York. He'd make less money, play on a worse team, and have to deal with the New York media.

Yeah true, but "any team with Lebron" going to the Finals? Let's face it, his reaction to falling against Orlando last year was pathetic. He showed just how much maturity he lacks, and I think moving to New York might help that because the media will eat him alive.

Perhaps a wake-up call in New York is what he needs, because he might be a great player, but at the end of the day it means nothing without rings and the maturity to keep that going.

The Raptors need to change things and it is looking increasingly unlikely that Chris Bosh will remain on the team.

Nothing personal Tom but I'd rather discuss things on the forum rather than via PM. What you sent me would make a fine discussion topic, which I'd be happy to weigh in on. Why not make a thread or post the question in the Sports Thread?

The Raptors need to change things and it is looking increasingly unlikely that Chris Bosh will remain on the team.

Nothing personal Tom but I'd rather discuss things on the forum rather than via PM. What you sent me would make a fine discussion topic, which I'd be happy to weigh in on. Why not make a thread or post the question in the Sports Thread?

I just sent you that question on the Sports Thread:). You will make some fine discussion.