The new album(s)

General8

Mar 17, 2002
www.adl.org
As a long time fan of Opeth (since Morningrise came out) I am waiting the new 2 CD album quite eagerly. A full acoustic album is something Akerfeldt has hinted at over the years several times. So how it turns out makes me curious.

Even as I like most of the acoustic parts in the songs, and some of the acoustic songs, I am not sure how well it will work for a full album. It will be interesting to hear.

Then there is of course the 2nd CD which will be typical Opeth album with heavy and mellow parts. Now, that album makes me more nervous, because it seems like a safety net for the acoustic album. Will they be able to write inspired material for this album too? I hope so.

There, just some general rambling as my first post here.

I just hope that the "normal" album will be not as verse-chorus-verse oriented as Blackwater Park. The songs should be "musical journeys" without repeating lyrics. Then maybe a mix between MAYH and Still Life would be cool...with some new elements added to keep the whole thing interesting...

Then there is of course the 2nd CD which will be typical Opeth album with heavy and mellow parts. Now, that album makes me more nervous, because it seems like a safety net for the acoustic album. Will they be able to write inspired material for this album too? I hope so.
Mikael has said in several interviews that this "mellow" album will not be typical Opeth. He said that it will be closer to the more psychedelic sound of Ozric Tentacles, so as to open up new doors for the band. I think that this is a good thing. Every Opeth cd up to this point has had a similar sound, and I think that they feel that they need to stay fresh. I think that Mikael has the ability to write a typical Opeth cd to appease the diehards, as well as to expand their sound beyond where it is now with the "mellow" disc.

welcome, and yeah i cant wait for the double album, damn its too far away though!!! 8 months, plus there might be a delay. oh well who cares, katatonia, bloodbath, lacuna coil, the gathering. wow i cant wait. (drools all over keyboard)

So will the mellower album be more like.. Face of Melinda and To Bid You Farewell as opposed to Credence/Harvest/Benighted? Still metal, but digestible by the masses?

Will it be appealing to the masses? Will we hear mellow Opeth on mixradio during the day?

Should we be afraid?

I think if anyone can pull it off, it's the Opeth boys.. more power to 'em!! :headbang:

Originally posted by warsofwinter
Just because it's going to be mostly acoustic doesn't mean it won't have aggresion . You can create brutality through acoustic sometimes more strongly than on electric it's possible ...
I don't think that the point is to have brutality, or aggression. I think the point is to expand on the sound that they already have. Either way, we will find out when they come out. And like Brutalizer said, we shouldn't worry. Not only because they are a great band, but also because it is none of our business what Opeth choose to do.

Well, whatever happens I'm sure it will not disappoint. When can we expect thesee babies? Early 2003?

2002, probably. Fall-winter. Depends on when they finish writing. Mastering and distributing takes a good 3 to 5 months, usually. Though there isn't much promotion to be done here, so it might be faster. I know some bands have to wait while the label "warms up" the market with reviews and promos.

-Hondo

am I the only who thinks this whole "two cd's" project is a fucking bad idea!?
...it sounds like a sell-out to me... I'll hope it will be better than Blackwater Park.

Originally posted by Devilish monster from the hill
...it sounds like a sell-out to me... I'll hope it will be better than Blackwater Park.
I'm guessing that you are one of the few. As Mikael has said, the mellow disc isn't going to be just acoustic guitar playing minor chords, with him crying over the top, it's going to be psychedelic. Last time I checked there wasn't any psychedelic music on the radio. Opeth has always been interested in Prog and Psych music, so why shouldn't Mikael try to write in that style?
The other disc is going to be typical Opeth. Maybe that will be more like Blackwater Park, but I don't see what everyones problem with that cd is, aside from the added popularity that came along with it. Some say that the music is too simplistic, but I think that it's actually more complex than their first two cds. It's much harder to write a long song that flows together, than one that is long but completely disjointed.
Off to finals!

I think you guys just afraid to admit that Opeth are repeating themself. They just ran out of ideas...

OH GOD!? WHAT HAVE I SAID!? :eek: :rolleyes:
Um...yeah...I didn't say that they didn't run out of ideas. I just said that they were expanding on the sound that they already have. And apparently if they are expanding into psychedelic music, then they haven't run out of ideas. Perhaps they realize that playing the same style is too limiting.
Also, your post doesn't make any sense in the context of what we were talking about. It just sounds like you are trying to piss people off.

I raised that question a while ago but was assured by the legion of diehards that this could not possibly be an option ;) Not mighty Opeth!

I'm pretty sure it'll be great, though. And it should propel them even further into the metal mainstream (if such a thing exists).