Mikael on the new album

but we're also gonna experiment a lot with this one. I want it to be fucking freaked out, psychadelic

...Opeth + Experiment = Bad

what does 'experiment' mean? Drum machines and guest rappers?? Yup. My prediction is coming true. There will be even LESS guitarwork on this one.

Could Mikael BE any cooler?

...Lose the moustache... :rolleyes:

*Scared about new album*

Originally posted by Trapped

...Opeth + Experiment = Bad

what does 'experiment' mean? Drum machines and guest rappers?? Yup. My prediction is coming true. There will be even LESS guitarwork on this one.

You sound like an old man, set in your ways.
True, drum machines and guest rappers would be a bad thing (ahem, Follow The Leader). But all experimentation isn't bad. Opeth is wonderful just the way they are, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be just as wonderful if they did something different.

You sound like an old man, set in your ways.

Back in my day... We HAD no opeth...! :D

But all experimentation isn't bad. Opeth is wonderful just the way they are, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be just as wonderful if they did something different.

Was Metallica's 'Load' a good thing? What about Megadeth's 'Risk'? Or maybe In Flames' 'Clayman'?

I guess I am just an old man at heart. :D

(BTW, i'm just playin'. Examples of good experimentation and progression: Death, Atheist...........!!)

Originally posted by DracWell
I would lie on the floor and praise mike and drowl like a moron if I hear some NICE dusty overdriven hammonds on the mellow album. Man it get's me hot!!
hah

Amen!!

Just to play this from a different angle...has anyone ever heard an artist talk about their upcoming work by saying something like:

"Well, I know our fans were really pumped after our last album, so we decided to make this one really suck. Just a half assed effort that we mailed in. I am real excited to have this over with because, quite frankly, I have been seing these girls and , well, they like to have sex all the time and I have found that writing and recording really gets in the way. I need more free time to explore new drugs as well. And another thing. I kind of really don't like our fans. I mean, I have met a few, and we get letters and emails, and II just realised after the last tour that our fans are idiots, so I figured why bother going to all the trouble on this album"

Just something that hit me as I read this thread. I am sure the new albums will be excellent.

I expect the double Opeth to be more prog, more psychedelic, more piano, more weird, more heavy, more brutal, more challenging, more sophisticated, more intelligent, more creative, more stimulating, more emotional, more adventurous, more relaxing, more beautiful, more versatile, more artistic, more complex, etc than their entire catalog...is this asking too much?

"The mellow album is going to be not only acoustic, probably a few acoustic numbers, but we're also gonna experiment a lot with this one. I want it to be fucking freaked out, psychadelic..I don't know...maybe use some new instruments....I'd like more piano on this one. We're gonna be taking a "risk" with this one, while the heavy album will probably be what people regard as the real one..."

There, I hope the "heavy" one won't be the "safe" one (to keep the fen happy ?). There's vast room for experimentation with heavier music too.

But, "freaked out" and "psychadelic" is exciting, I was hoping they would choose this direction!

The wait is gonna be torturous.

D Mullholand

You mean #6 AND #7.

They're going to be taking up a fairly formiddable chunk of my CD rack after that.

I thought more along the lines of #6 being the regular one and #7 the mellow experimental one.

The battle is on.