the new build - videoclip

well the labesl right over the music videos isnt really cool, especially that they dont wanna someother hosting them on their servers. but yesterday I found this on the net:
Apple has approached the four major music companies, Warner Music Group Corp., EMI Group PLC, Vivendi Universal SA's Universal Music Group and Sony BMG, a joint venture between Sony Corp. and Bertelsmann AG, to license music videos for sale through iTunes, according to people in the media industry. The videos, which could go on sale as early as September, would likely be sold for $1.99 each, with the possibility of a discount if consumers buy a music video and a song at the same time.
http://www.ipodhacks.com/
this is really horrible, which dumbass would BUY musicvideos???????? at the moment they are all free and you can download them everywhere but if apples plans are true these are really bad news. no company would give the customers their (promotion) videos for free if they see that they can suck out the customers money for some boring videos...there was a time whene apple was cool and now they turn into a microsoftversion of the online-musicstores

well, don't think we should hate apple just for this.. remember that apple is probably the first company who has tried to legalize music downloading, and that's positive for sure.. the only thing about ituns music store, is the lack of metal albums :(

Caotico said:
Yes and no...The label is the one paying for the costs of recording the music and the video, so it's normal that they have the rights, at least for a few years. If you're licencing an already finished (self financed) recording, things might be different.

Of course C.M. wouldn't kick our asses if we indeed would upload the video, but it'd be very unprofessional to "compete" with our label, and I'm sure that they'll publish it soon enough.

EDIT: Rahvin summed it up pretty well, didn't see his reply before writing my post.

Well actually I asked Mikael about this during the Fury Fest. I asked why the video wasnt on the net and he answered me something like : it s like that but you can watch it on TV (in France I have never seen a Dark Tranquillity clip on TV).

The first disturbing thing is that you completed the video maybe in march and it s still not on CM website. I mean, it s based on a recent tour, it would have made sense to release it as quick as possible.

The other disturbing part of the streaming thing is that the video will be available on the net as well as the mp3 version of the song. The video is almost always something promotional and not something you make money with.
So it should be logic that if 10000 webzine host the video on their website, free for download, it would have more impact than some streaming in low quality on CM website.
I have the same opinion concerning "promotional" songs which are available on the net and that would be more efficient downloaded on the user PC, which means that he will listen to it more than if he has to go back to CM website everytime for a streaming...

Well actually I asked Mikael about this during the Fury Fest. I asked why the video wasnt on the net and he answered me something like : it s like that but you can watch it on TV (in France I have never seen a Dark Tranquillity clip on TV).

Nah, that's probably a misunderstanding...Normally, videos are both sent away to the TV networks and published online.

The first disturbing thing is that you completed the video maybe in march and it s still not on CM website. I mean, it s based on a recent tour, it would have made sense to release it as quick as possible.

We also thought that it'd be out earlier, but we're not the ones making the strategic decisions. As with album releases, it's not always best to get the stuff out as soon as possible. I hate the whole business part of playing in a band as much as anyone else, but if - for example - it'll be easier for us to get good tour offers this autumn if the video is released now rather than in April, I'm all for it. There's always tons of factors to consider, and we'd rather focus on the music and let the label handle the rest.

I have the same opinion concerning "promotional" songs which are available on the net and that would be more efficient downloaded on the user PC, which means that he will listen to it more than if he has to go back to CM website everytime for a streaming...

Agreed to 100%, I don't like streaming and I don't like the Real format. But as said earlier, it's so easy to just download/upload stuff in *other* ways instead of via official homepages, so I don't think it's a big problem.

Thanks for the answers, didnt know about the relation with tour opportunities, and for the chance to see you for the fifth time this year, i can wait for ages without any problem !!

a totally fucking great video a bit dark but ok !! really happy to see it finally!Thanks to dark silence for that!!

i just can't find it on dc, been trying in different hubs since this thread was started.

if anyone has it uploaded or knows where to find it, i'd be very grateful for a link (by pm, of course).

Delirious said:
i just can't find it on dc, been trying in different hubs since this thread was started.

if anyone has it uploaded or knows where to find it, i'd be very grateful for a link (by pm, of course).
try all the many different heavy-metal hub... i'll give u some hub-addresses i personally use:

- metalwarriors.no-ip.info
- nocturnalassault.no-ip.info
- metalhub.no-ip.info
- metalmayhem.no-ip.org

btw, try using zdc++ rather than dc or dc++.. the cool thing is that zdc++ is accepted on *ALL* hubs and has the multi-source function.. this means that, like other file-sharing appz, u can download the same file from more than just one user at the time.... this will brutally cut the download times :D

Man, I'm gonna have to hit the P2P.

I don't have TV in my apartment, but as it stands, our TV coverage of metal is at best woefully inadequate, and at worst comprises only reruns of The Osbournes.

We do have Headbanger's Ball again, but just trying to sit through Jamie's talking before seeing the videos is a nightmare to me. And as it is, they only rarely play new vids, or even good ones, and so it'll probably be a while before the DT vid hits it.

On a similar note, this whole proposed headlining tour I overheard Niklas talking to someone about outside the NYC show - would that be affected by video release, as pertaining to what cities get hit/extent of tour? And - is it a real possibility that such a glorious thing might actually happen? (headlining, not the video affecting it..)

~kov.

Cool vid! The playin' and the "off the stage" material is are in good balance.. I always like to see backstage material from my fav bands.. :)

That's right, folks! This little live/backstage gem has already been shown on Headbangers ball in the States and is currently being aired on the usual channels. As previously reported, "The new build" was directed by Roger Johansson and features live footage shot in (among other cities) London, Barcelona, Paris and Gothenburg during the last European tour.

To see the clip on Century media's homepage in streaming Real video format, click here. To download it in Quicktime format (50 MB), click here.

Arch said:
That's right, folks! This little live/backstage gem has already been shown on Headbangers ball in the States and is currently being aired on the usual channels. As previously reported, "The new build" was directed by Roger Johansson and features live footage shot in (among other cities) London, Barcelona, Paris and Gothenburg during the last European tour.

To see the clip on Century media's homepage in streaming Real video format, click here. To download it in Quicktime format (50 MB), click here.

Yay. Cool video :headbang:

Really like that aged 8/16 mm film feeling, especially on the backstage/offstage footage. And – video’s very essential overall. Too much foot licking however :D :D :D

Just watched it... :OMG:

Well the editor did a genius job. That was so perfectly done it's almost unbelievable. often with live over dub stuff like this you can see it go out of sync, but this was perfect all the way through. Like the bit, where Stanne counts the beats by kind of punching with the mic. Spot on. Or the headbanging bits... especially the strobes behind henrikson!!! *boner*. I mean, the show footage looked absolutely unreal. It was like a Disneyland ride style mega production (of course I'm talking mainly about the light show). It looked like DT were not only pulling out awesome performances, but were also having a really good time. Jeeze. Best video yet I'd say.

The video made me want three things more than anything.
1. To see DT live.
2. For DT to release another DVD with backstage antics at some point in their career.
3. And to some day be on stage doing that.

Kudos to all involved in the production of that masterpiece.