The new Dream Theater album.

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
I havent heard it, but have they learned how to write a song yet? Do they still have long pointless songs with needless technical wizardry, solos, and a singer that must be ALvin the CHipmunks long lost brother?

As one can see, I am not a big fan. I am however enamored with their indivdual talents, which to me they have wasted thus far with pretentious "music". So, have they finally decided to do something with their talent on this album?

Well, now they play a sort of annoying nu-metal for about half the song, then fall into a completely out of place 4-minute long wankery session, then close out with nu-metal again.

I'm not kidding.

I actually really enjoyed the song 6DOIT. A whole lot more than than the Scenes From a Memory album.

I was hoping they'd try something like that again, except make it one track this time.

I know I'm in the extreme minority...

In light of how "GOOD" their last one was, I think I'll wait until I find it in the "Used" bin... Either that, or download it.. I was a big fan of them at one time, but I'm tired of wasting my money on the shit they've been producing lately.

I will listen to it in the record shop tomorrow. I actually liked the "6DoIT" album quite a bit. It wasn't their best, but it wasn't bad either. The thing I really don't like about it are the keyboard solos. I absolutely hate keyboard solos. If the new one is jammed with those, I'll pass.

People are kinda unfair with DT... There is a lot of pointless wankery, it is true, but they are great song writers. I mean, SFAM has some very good, even catchy, tunes! Same with Awake and Images and words, 6doit....

Half of Awake was my favorite DT album, prettymuch just Lie, 6:00 and Caught In A Web were all I listen to now, but that's what Iliked best from the album.

I'm actually supposed to review this album by tomorrow for my school paper, but I don't have it yet....hmmmm....*Opens up Kazaa*

Wow, what may seem like "pointless wankery" to some of you, others might actually enjoy. Opinions aren't fact, don't state them like they are. I have a feeling this thread was made by someone who would say "I don't like my music too techincal". If you dislike a band that much why do you give a fuck about their new album? Yet you also take the time to find out other people's opinions on the disc. If you don't like a band, why even bother insulting what someone else may genuinly enjoy?

~Sh0k~

sh0kr0k said:
Wow, what may seem like "pointless wankery" to some of you, others might actually enjoy. Opinions aren't fact, don't state them like they are. I have a feeling this thread was made by someone who would say "I don't like my music too techincal". If you dislike a band that much why do you give a fuck about their new album? Yet you also take the time to find out other people's opinions on the disc. If you don't like a band, why even bother insulting what someone else may genuinly enjoy?

~Sh0k~

You may feel that you're doing people a great service here, but you're really not.

If people actually need to have their own viewpoints reinforced by this sort of statement and are able to have any semblence of their own opinion washed away by someone else who neglected to specify that they were not speaking of "TRUTH" then they shouldn't be in such a vulnerable environment.

WARNING: THE ABOVE POST WAS AN OPINION... YOU ARE NOT BEING FORCED TO AGREE WITH ME.

I agree with Sonicarnal.

Based on their past material in my opinion, insults of DT are obligatory. However they do have enormous talent, and there are a few Dt songs I think are sensational.

So, you like them, I only wished to hear if the new album was worth listening to- or if it was another pointless release .

The power to have ones own opinion, is quite important, if one cant stand to have their ideas and tastes attacked, then one has no true opinion, as it it worthless.

Well as of yet I have only heard the edited version of "As I Am" and "This Dying Soul". As an avid Dream Theater fan I found "As I Am" bothersomely weak, but after hearing "This Dying Soul" I still have some hope for the album, even though the song is nothing on some of their other work. It was different yet interesting... and La Brie's voice is much less poofy, in fact it barely sounds like him (I hope I haven't d/l something else completely). I'm at least compelled to listen to the rest of the album out of curiosity now, whereas a week ago I was thinking I probably wouldn't look into it further.