The New Edition

I don't know how many people actually have a 5.1 system but I made a sad discovery lately.

Got my Ghost Reveries SE a week ago and was thrilled to hear the 5.1 mix.

And surprise, the thing is NOT 5.1, I repeat the mix is not in 5.1.

What a fucking disgrace : on my system : both in Dolby Digital and DTS it is in fact a 4.0, meaning that the sub woofer and center channel are not working !
The next minute , I put Porcupine Tree's Deadwing in DTS and everything sounded incredible.

So it is not my system.

Anybody encountered the same issue ???

One way or another :

My copy has a defect

or

5.1 translates to 4.0 in swedish meaning that Jens Bogren is a Tool regarding 5.1 Mixes.

Disapointed I am ...
:cry:

Anyway, back to Deadwing DTS, ummh, that's more like it : absolute killer mix !!!

You're right, center channel is not working, but subwoofer is. More like 4.1.

I loved how they put Martin "Bass Player" Mendez at the end of the DVD :lol:

Why did they have to put that stupid TGC video on the DVD? :erk:

If the 5.1 doesn't work it would be a terrible mistake. Selling a product that doesn't work as promised is a major problem and very bad. I can't listen to the 5.1 mix on my system. It sounds very strange if this really is true and if it's not only 1 album having this error.

You're right, center channel is not working, but subwoofer is. More like 4.1.

I loved how they put Martin "Bass Player" Mendez at the end of the DVD :lol:

Why did they have to put that stupid TGC video on the DVD? :erk:

Maybe you 're right about the subwoofer, on my system it sounded very faint, but I am positive about the center channel, it is simply not here .

Michael, will you repay me ???

Just kiddin' ...maybe ...

I don't know how many people actually have a 5.1 system but I made a sad discovery lately.

Got my Ghost Reveries SE a week ago and was thrilled to hear the 5.1 mix.

And surprise, the thing is NOT 5.1, I repeat the mix is not in 5.1.

What a fucking disgrace : on my system : both in Dolby Digital and DTS it is in fact a 4.0, meaning that the sub woofer and center channel are not working !
The next minute , I put Porcupine Tree's Deadwing in DTS and everything sounded incredible.

So it is not my system.

Anybody encountered the same issue ???

One way or another :

My copy has a defect

or

5.1 translates to 4.0 in swedish meaning that Jens Bogren is a Tool regarding 5.1 Mixes.

Disapointed I am ...
:cry:

Anyway, back to Deadwing DTS, ummh, that's more like it : absolute killer mix !!!

Welp, I guess we're going to assume you listened to every song and tested this theory different ways and read your manual and tried different settings and also tried it on different systems and you can confidently conclude that Jens is a tool and that the whole 5.1 mix thing is another corporate lie to fuck the fans/public..... right? Otherwise you would have posted that it "APPEARS" to not be working like you thought it would. At least you asked if others had experienced the same issue. You already have another fan who says your right and in the same sentence says your wrong since the sub works... this combined with a bit of common sense makes me very skeptical of your claims (not that it doesn't work on your system but that it was advertised as 5.1 and turned out to be bullshit). I have a descent 5.1 system and will do some experimenting of my own tonight to see if I encounter the same issue. There are plenty of audiophile nerds here that can... and I'm sure will... assist in our investigation.

they've shut down all but one record store where I live and none of them had Opeth albums in store. I've benn buying albums online since 2000. It's cheaper, and you don't have to get your ass out of your appartment - and since I'm a student I get a discount...ah, could it be any better?

Welp, I guess we're going to assume you listened to every song and tested this theory different ways and read your manual and tried different settings and also tried it on different systems and you can confidently conclude that Jens is a tool and that the whole 5.1 mix thing is another corporate lie to fuck the fans/public..... right? Otherwise you would have posted that it "APPEARS" to not be working like you thought it would. At least you asked if others had experienced the same issue. You already have another fan who says your right and in the same sentence says your wrong since the sub works... this combined with a bit of common sense makes me very skeptical of your claims (not that it doesn't work on your system but that it was advertised as 5.1 and turned out to be bullshit). I have a descent 5.1 system and will do some experimenting of my own tonight to see if I encounter the same issue. There are plenty of audiophile nerds here that can... and I'm sure will... assist in our investigation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audiophile :)

Hi Mr Sam, well I am reluctant to comment on DTS or any of the other stuff to do with audio repropduction processing, I am an "Old School" left and right only analogue sound devotee. who views digital audio as clever stuff but in substance a compromise.

You haven't lived until you have heard and experienced the micro dynamics of the music hidden within those precious grooves, extracted by the finest "Moving Coil" or "Moving Iron" pick-up cartridges installed properly in precision made tone arm's mounted on massive suspended chassis or solid transcription motors...

Sited securely in a music room, this will present the listener with a left to right and front to back holographic sound stage if the record was mixed properly, sounds magical...

All the rest is meh imo. :D

If you want confirmation on this, checkout some of the late 50's early 60's classical recordings on the Decca or Columbia labels, Mono or Stereo pressings...

A long forgotten art. :cry:

I cannot really confirm if the SE version is a 5.1 remix, as I lack a subwoofer, what I can definately say is that it is a very poor surround mix. The rears as well as the center channel seem to be lost all the way, it´s like you listen to the Stereo version with these little Sound polishers, which extends the sound into surround. But I assume it is no real DD or DTS.

I think that the guys didn´t have any influence on this 5.1 mix, if so they should have choosen the guy who created the In Absentia / Deadwing surround mixes, which are (in my opinion) kind of a reference and absolutely fantastic.

Well, I was very disappointed with this version. But hey, at least the documentary is very nice, and the booklet is well done.

I also confirm that this is a bad 5.1 mix...
Although my Marantz AV Receiver indicates that the DTS / DD tracks are with 5 channels, including the center channel, and the sub chann in fact there's no sound from the center channel. The voice of mike comes from the front speakers and in a more dimm volume from the rear speakers. Bad mix or propositate mix? Don't know... these days it's difficult to find some one who could care to do a right job and knows what people want to get...

By the way, on my 16:9 TV the music video track doesn't get to fill all the width of the TV, I already tested on my computer and laptop and it displays the same result. It was done on porpuse or it's a fault??

Ok, sorry to say, your both wrong, the mix is in 5.1, and includes all channels, I can give you a screen shot if you want proof, but you should just take my word for it, thats easier (fyi, I'm a composer, and make 5.1 mixes from time to time)

The album has a great mix in 5.1, it doesn't really take a huge advantage of it, but without adding in stuff Opeth didn't write in the first place, theres not a whole lot else to do. The rear speakers are used mostly for guitar, room ambiance from the drum's, and the occasional oddball effect. The center channel is indeed used, but this is where it could be used a bit better, its basically a mono version of the mix, maybe not through the entire album, but I solo'd it and skipped through a few parts, it was always just a mono mix of everything, I often use the center for close mic'd mid toms, kick, and top/bottom snare mic's, leave the overheads and room mic's for the stereo (as close mic's are mono anyway) and this really brings depth to the stereo field. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the mix regardless, having a high resolution DTS mix is good enough, the surround adds a bit, but without being written for it, its very subtle.

5.1%20monitor.JPG
theres the monitor, obviously picking up the center, and heres an MP3 of the center channel soloed http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/10/14/287443/Ghost Reveries center channel.mp3

its very very quiet, about 12db quieter then the rear channels, and they are about 12 db quieter then the front stereo channels (so maybe you just cant hear it?), and since its just a mono version of the tracks, I don't think your missing a lot in the center.

I pre-ordered this from The End, and I still haven't heard a fucking thing from the cunts since the confirmation e-mail.