The New Testament Album

Apr 3, 2005
IL
Any idea what style Testament this will come out to be? I mean Skol is going to be lead so possibly they will make a "The Legacy" or "The New Order" type album, but I don't think Chuck can cover fast passed songs again because, well their setlist consists of the 80's up-beat songs. They may possibly go with a more commercial album, so it would be easier to sing. I don't know. Any ideas? I wouldn't mind either style.

MetalT

Well Skolnick has spent the last 13 or so years playing jazz so expect some better arrangements on the chord progressions.Maybe a few more melodic slower tracks like The Ritual

I don't think Chuck can cover fast passed songs again because, well their setlist consists of the 80's up-beat songs
You suggest Chuck may have any problems with singing in any style? I highly doubt that. After seeing them live 3 times this year, I'm convinced he's really developed as a singer without losing the ability to sing anything he sang in the past.

I hope they will come up with something completely new that has some references to what they had done in the past. Remember, this is a band that would always come up with something new and intriguing and I hope they won't just record a tribute to their earliest records (like FSSD with new material), or a follow up to The Gathering or The Ritual II, but a record that will create new trends in music, that will schock and charm, break grounds and please the old fans. I hope they manage to incorporate their very different backgrounds (Alex's jazz, Greg's interest in funk music- remember Flange?, Eric's black metal and classical music fascinations) to their mutual, glorious past to create something eclectic and fresh (without sounding unnatural or forced, of course). I hope Chuck uses all of his singing styles with the domination of his melodic style. I hope the production will be great and both guitarists will record a lot (I mean A LOT) of leads, that will be long, overlapping and memorable. I'm hoping for a ballad or two, for some fast songs and some slower ones and a lot of tempo changes. That's it for hopes.
Now guessing:

This will be a follow up to The Ritual for this line up, so it would be logical if they developed that style into something more modern (either something heavier and more melodic at the same time or into something closer to rock/alternative), but this probably won't happen as both Chuck and Eric seem to detest that record for unknown reasons.
Recording something in the vein of Legacy or New Order would be a huge step back IMO, given the experience they collected over the long years in music business and different styles. Still, if they were to do that I'd hope for Chuck to bring back his high pitched ends from the early days.
On the other hand picking up where they left with The Gathering would fit better to the previous line ups, not to the reunited Testament that had had their own style very remote from the modern, aggresive thrash Chuck, Eric & co. started to play later. If that did happen though, I'd expect the new record to have a lot more solos (maybe solo duels), be a bit more melodic and perhaps include a ballad or a slower song.

And my biggest hope: I hope we find out what this album is like very soon.

High Priest Of Evil said:
You suggest Chuck may have any problems with singing in any style? I highly doubt that. After seeing them live 3 times this year, I'm convinced he's really developed as a singer without losing the ability to sing anything he sang in the past.

Yeah, I guess your right. After watching the LIL DVD I changed my mind about him loosing his talent a little bit. I mean the only song he didn't do that well on was..Sins of Omission. I just figured maybe cancer fucked him up a little bit. And I never said he couldn't sing that shit I just ment he might not want more fast passed shit in the catalog.

Yeah, I understand your fears, but he's back in his best shape, from what I've witnessed. Sure, his voice has changed- but it was rather natural than forced by the illness and didn't affect his abilities (on the contrary- gave him more depth)

High Priest Of Evil said:
Yeah, I understand your fears, but he's back in his best shape, from what I've witnessed. Sure, his voice has changed- but it was rather natural than forced by the illness and didn't affect his abilities (on the contrary- gave him more depth)

Oh yeah hes one of the few singers that still sounds killer on eightees thrash songs. I mean Tom Araya has lost it(I mean I still enjoy Slayer though). Yeah Chuck rocks and he'd be the front man in my dream band.

Originally posted by High Priest of Evil: "This will be a follow up to The Ritual for this line up, so it would be logical if they developed that style into something more modern (either something heavier and more melodic at the same time or into something closer to rock/alternative), but this probably won't happen as both Chuck and Eric seem to detest that record for unknown reasons."

---High Priest, the reason why Eric & Chuck seem to "detest" 'the Ritual' is because this was the time the band was having it's worst problems & of course Louie & Alex left as a result. Usually, I notice that other bands have said the same thing about great albums that they've made whenever there was big problems in their bands. It's more personal from their side you have to remember...besides, that was a pretty bleak album, so it's not hard to imagine that there was a lot of frustration between them! Also, if you look at the photo of the band (in 'The Ritual' album booklet) when they are sitting down in front of a huge closed door, you can see frustration all over their faces! And to me that always looked genuine, especially after that I found out what was going on at that time of the bands history! It's too bad IF Eric & Chuck still feel that way, because there are a lot of great songs on 'The Ritual', besides "Electric Crown.":)

ds336, I wouldn't look that deep into this picture and say it reflects the discord within the band, I always thought it was deliberate to look sad.. maybe you're right, though. They may not think warm about TR also because a lot of fans rejected it as not thrashy enough and even despite the fact that it sold great it left controversial feelings and gained them as much praise as criticism. Or maybe they don't think those melodic songs fit to their newer, heavier sound. Who knows. One thing for sure- songs off it are underrepresented in any setlist after 1993

I do like The Ritual but I much prefer the albums before and after it. I don't like the production much and if they had a thicker sound (IE:Low-Gathering) it may have a bigger impact for me, as well as newer Testament fans.

I will say that when they DO play stuff off TR live, it sounds MUCH heavier (and better to me) than on record. ;)

The reason you probably prefer the production on The Gathering is because in the early 90's we did'nt have digital mixing boards.The gear back then was still analogue.With the newer digital stuff they can get a more clear sound with more treble and clarity.The Ritual is one of Testament's best albums for me,it's progressive,memorable yet still has the crunch in their.
Off topic one of my fave experimental thrash bands of the late80's early 90's was a band called Mordred.Funky as hell yet they had the metal beats and riffs.

stuglue said:
The reason you probably prefer the production on The Gathering is because in the early 90's we did'nt have digital mixing boards.The gear back then was still analogue.With the newer digital stuff they can get a more clear sound with more treble and clarity.The Ritual is one of Testament's best albums for me,it's progressive,memorable yet still has the crunch in their.
Off topic one of my fave experimental thrash bands of the late80's early 90's was a band called Mordred.Funky as hell yet they had the metal beats and riffs.

Oh, Im well aware of the recording gear available. ;) I have had the opportunity of using both analogue and digital. But I have to interject that the combination of analogue and digital recording is one of the most lethal combinations, imo. The best of both worlds -analogue to warm it up and give it a nice thick, fat sound and digital to do all your precision editing and mixing to allow for more options in the end result. Both have their advantages . I dont know for sure, but Low (my absolute fav) screams of analogue, considering the year it was released. Especially in the drum and guitar sounds. The Ritual's guitar sound is kinda thin to my ears and could have been beefed up regardless of the recording means used. It seems they really went the distance in finding that crushing tone after The Ritual.

Mordred was really fun. Good call! They were a great live band and I agree with you that their combining of thrash and funk was done well. Fans of Faith No More may enjoy some of the older Mordred stuff...their last album "The Vision' kinda veered away from the thrashy sound a little, I will have to revisit that album as its been a while. But their first three were great.

Testament seems to be one of the few bands that are always able to bring something new to their sound while still being identifiable as Testament. A lot of bands that have been around as long as they have seem to get caught in a rut and desperately try (and usually fail) to re-live their “glory days.” I think the difference is that they guys in Testament are really into the metal scene that they helped create. They seem to really enjoy the music they are making and love playing it live.

The only thing I don’t understand is why people keep defending “The Ritual” and calling it under-rated. I just don’t get what anyone can like about that album. I am a huge fan of the band and love everything else the ever did, but for me, that album just falls flat on its face. The riffs are boring and extremely repetitive, which is so unlike Testament. I have tried and tried to get into the album, but can’t. I own all of their albums and have downloaded the rest of them into my iPod and listen to them regularly. Every once in a while, I say to myself “It’s kind of silly not to have The Ritual in there”. After all, it IS Testament. How bad can an album with Chuck Billy and Alex Skolnick be? Then, I listen to it. I find it so boring that I put it back in its case and put it back on the shelf to collect dust. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but every time I hear Chuck or Eric say that they detest that album, I am glad to hear it.

I have been a fan of the band for almost 20 years and have seen them at least 20 times. They always put on a great show and I’m sure that their new album will kick ass.

High Priest, I'm just looking at facts & what I can see and hear w/ that album...I wasn't trying to look more than necessary. It is funny that you say that though because I do tend to see things a little more deeply than most people!:) But to expound a little more on one of my points, look at Judas Priest...they reunited w/ Halford & now they won't play off of any of the Ripper albums! That sucks because I think there's some of Priest's best material off of those albums, but we'll probably never see Halford cover any of those songs because the band wants it to be like the "good ol' days," you know what I mean?!

I have no idea what the band will do, I just want the songs to be good, and sound good. It would be great if the new album did so well that the band would be forced to be more active (i.e. putting out records, touring). I know Alex has a lot of side projects but it would be cool to see him more involved with Testament.

I can't see the new album being lighter than the last few albums. It might be more melodic, but that doesn't mean it won't be heavy.

I think not knowing exactly what style this labum will bring, brings a whole new element to the table of waiting for it..the element of surprise.

my only concern is that i want rhythm guitars to be played by eric AND alex, with harmony or different parts.
FSSD sounds a bit one dimensional in terms of the rhythm guitars.

i liked how on SOB both guitarists played different parts.

If i had to take a guess .... it will sound like The Gathering - if we are talking about production.

Alex was saying in the latest interviews that what he likes in the modern metal is:
- far better production and powerful sound
- drummers.

Still - he was saying, while talking about the Gathering - he would add some solos and melodies there...

so, knowing Eric&Chuck's musical preferences nowadays, I would say we will get:
: something produced very well, probably Andy??? with clean and powerful sound, sth sounding like SHKM by Exodus or Tempo by Exodus or FSSD by Testament.

music: I have to agree it will be very fresh and breaking the limits record with all the experiences of the band members. There will be more melodies than on The Gathering, maybe a ballad. But i think They will not move into hard rock area, I would say we will get sth like Tempo if we are talking about the balance between melodies and shredding.

solos: This record will be sooo good if it comes to solos that it will be able to compete with TGE by Nevermore. Alex will be dying to show the metal world how good he is now, and Eric also developed his lead skills during the last years.

no disrespect to eric but i think the solos should all be handled by alex.
eric played a couple solos on FSSD and they were not so great.