The News Thread

So, this is the guy Trump pardoned:

As Arpaio’s officers were harassing, detaining, and beating citizens and non-citizens alike, with jail employees routinely calling inmates “wetbacks” or leaving them to die on the floor, Arpaio let hundreds of serious sexual abuse cases go uninvestigated, in one case resulting in a child being continually raped. He was not just a “tough” sheriff, but a cruel and incompetent one, faking clearance reports for serious crimes while abusing the power of his office to arrest and intimidate journalists, judges, and county officials. Some of Arpaio’s acts bordered on the psychopathic: in a deranged re-election plot, Arpaio oversaw a scheme to pay someone to attempt to assassinate him, even supplying the man with bomb-making materials, so that he could entrap the fake “assassin” and send him to prison, ruining the hapless man’s life. Arpaio treated the Constitution with contempt, inflicting what the Mayor of Phoenix called a “reign of terror” upon the city’s Latino community. Anybody with a hint of a conscience should be revolted by both Arpaio’s record and Trump’s pardon.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/08/wait-do-people-actually-know-just-how-evil-this-man-is

Doesn't need all the moralizing language, the point's there even without the rhetoric.

Last edited:
He does sound like a piece of shit. My question is, why does it take someone like this to actually enforce federal law pertaining to immigration? Maybe because the Obama administration was abdicating about its responsibility in this department. Partially evidenced by going after him not for that list, but for enforcing immigration law. Why does it pain you to type illegal in front of immigrant when referring to illegal immigrants? Legal immigrants go through an expensive and lengthy procedure to be referred to as immigrants. Illegal immigrants pay money to cartels etc. to either mooch off the system here, or to drive down wages helping out Big Ag, etc.

Edit: Overflowing prisons isn't proof positive of holding people on nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nate Skalman
He does sound like a piece of shit. My question is, why does it take someone like this to actually enforce federal law pertaining to immigration? Maybe because the Obama administration was abdicating about its responsibility in this department. Partially evidenced by going after him not for that list, but for enforcing immigration law. Why does it pain you to type illegal in front of immigrant when referring to illegal immigrants? Legal immigrants go through an expensive and lengthy procedure to be referred to as immigrants. Illegal immigrants pay money to cartels etc. to either mooch off the system here, or to drive down wages helping out Big Ag, etc.

Edit: Overflowing prisons isn't proof positive of holding people on nothing.

I didn't say "proof." I said "evidenced." There's a difference.

It doesn't take someone like that to enforce immigration laws. Immigration is being enforced all the time, but illegal immigrants will always slip through. Arpaio detained people who were legal immigrant and illegal--it didn't make much difference to him.

DECEMBER 2007 A Mexican citizen legally in the United States sued Sheriff Arpaio and his Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office deputies, claiming to have been unlawfully detained for nine hours after a traffic stop because of his ethnicity. Others joined the lawsuit, and the allegations were expanded to include several other examples of treatment that plaintiffs said unfairly singled out Latinos.

Judge G. Murray Snow of United States District Court in Phoenix eventually gave the lawsuit class-action status, allowing any Latino stopped by Sheriff Arpaio’s deputies since Jan. 1, 2007, to be represented in the case.

That's from a NY Times piece. It doesn't count as successfully enforcing immigration procedures if you're also detaining legal immigrants.

I didn't say "proof." I said "evidenced." There's a difference.

It doesn't take someone like that to enforce immigration laws. Immigration is being enforced all the time, but illegal immigrants will always slip through. Arpaio detained people who were legal immigrant and illegal--it didn't make much difference to him.

That's from a NY Times piece. It doesn't count as successfully enforcing immigration procedures if you're also detaining legal immigrants.

I'll forgive you for not having lived on the border like I did, but they wouldn't be detained if they had legal ID on their persons, and given the number of latinos in Arizona and the lax window tinting laws, they can't simply be pulling over any and all latinos. I'd like more details than that link provided.

I'll forgive you for not having lived on the border like I did, but they wouldn't be detained if they had legal ID on their persons

Yes they would, because Arpaio is a draconian shit stain.

But thanks for forgiving me, I suppose everyone that lived on the border was automatically privy to the goings-on of law enforcement etiquette. You're probably qualified to work for ICE.

Yes they would, because Arpaio is a draconian shit stain.

But thanks for forgiving me, I suppose everyone that lived on the border was automatically privy to the goings-on of law enforcement etiquette. You're probably qualified to work for ICE.

I wasn't in Maricopa county regularly, but I lived at the border, and I know Arizona vehicle laws. As an aside, you can't say he's draconian if he's letting all manner of various lawbreaking go aside due to a focus on one law; showing tribal colors there Pat. Back to the issue: Arizona allows very dark tinting due to the intense sun/heat. Law enforcement couldn't simply sit around looking for "spics" to drive by. Secondly, there are a large number of law-abiding Latinos in Arizona (30% native to Maricopa County, slightly more than the percentage in the state in general) . They can't pull them all over. So something other than "seeing a Latino" was involved in stops and detentions.

Reactions: Nate Skalman
When laws break down, go unenforced or due to government negligence are conducted in shady, lazy manners leading to negative impact on the people who live in the country, Harry Callahan types will always flood those gaps.

It's exactly why the alt-right evolved into a street thuggery movement rather than the online community it started as, because police were not protecting Trump supporters and voters at rallies and gatherings from the wannabe Red Brigade twats that are Antifa.

Agreed 100%. When the purportedly neutral authorities start becoming politicized, it starts entering banana republic territory. Pat is contributing to this as an academic who won't say illegal when referring to illegals, and Obama did this when not referring to radical Islamic terrorism. Of course, the rejoinder is that Trump or whoever won't call out WNs, but he has, and the non-power persons who haven't don't matter.

I think the US is at the point where a neoliberal military coup is highly probably within the next decade; this is only a sliver of the reason why I want to rejoin the military. Military officers increasingly appear to be the only adults in the room, even if imperfect adults.

I wasn't in Maricopa county regularly, but I lived at the border, and I know Arizona vehicle laws. As an aside, you can't say he's draconian if he's letting all manner of various lawbreaking go aside due to a focus on one law; showing tribal colors there Pat. Back to the issue: Arizona allows very dark tinting due to the intense sun/heat. Law enforcement couldn't simply sit around looking for "spics" to drive by. Secondly, there are a large number of law-abiding Latinos in Arizona (30% native to Maricopa County, slightly more than the percentage in the state in general) . They can't pull them all over. So something other than "seeing a Latino" was involved in stops and detentions.

No, it wasn't. He used checkpoints and random traffic stops, so his people could see what drivers looked like and go from there.

Your tribal colors are showing, David. You're defending an indefensible person because you're so vehemently opposed to the political groups attacking him. Really wandering into treacherous territory here.

No, it wasn't. He used checkpoints and random traffic stops, so his people could see what drivers looked like and go from there.

Your tribal colors are showing, David. You're defending an indefensible person because you're so vehemently opposed to the political groups attacking him. Really wandering into treacherous territory here.

I just said he sounded like a shitty person. What a vehement defense. Random traffic stops are random traffic stops and ask for ID. Checkpoints ask for ID. You're so white and yankee.

Total separate anecdote: I once had 4 Hispanic Border Patrol Officers temporarily detain me and give me a full drug transport check when trying to leave Yuma on vacation, despite my DL, military ID, and military parking sticker. SO MUCH RACISM.

Total separate anecdote: I once had 4 Hispanic Border Patrol Officers temporarily detain me and give me a full drug transport check when trying to leave Yuma on vacation, despite my DL, military ID, and military parking sticker. SO MUCH RACISM.

Were they Arpaio's boys?

I just said he sounded like a shitty person. What a vehement defense. Random traffic stops are random traffic stops and ask for ID. Checkpoints ask for ID. You're so white and yankee.

Yeah, aaaaand he still detained legal immigrants, seemingly after looking at their ID.

I'm glad you're inclined to make our conversations into pissing matches. It's easier to respond to your posts when they consist of personal attacks and vapid platitudes.

Were they Arpaio's boys?

They were Border Patrol Agents, as I said, so no, and so apparently the opposite could occur. No big Huffpost expose there. Plus apparantly super white supremacists vet white people don't get so aggrieved about a lone incident.

Yeah, aaaaand he still detained legal immigrants, seemingly after looking at their ID.

I'm glad you're inclined to make our conversations into pissing matches. It's easier to respond to your posts when they consist of personal attacks and vapid platitudes.

It's only a pissing contest insomuch as you have such a limited social life experience while I've been told by many a person that I have done "a little bit of everything". You're a smart guy, I've said as much on many occasions. Definitely a top 5 on this whole forum. The problem is as I've gained more varied experiences, you have not, and I've grown increasingly aware of the severe limits of your, and many person's influence's, on social experience.

Back to the Arizona issue: He couldn't have detained them with nothing. He was never successfully legally challenged for doing so. He could have detained them for not having ID or even a broken taillight, and he could have detained them for not having insurance, which is much more likely. A buddy/Marine dude I knew was hit by a guy with ID but no insurance, which is illegal. Which means everyone in AZ had to pay more for auto INS because of the persons driving without auto insurance. You assume best of intentions because all you are around is higher IQs instead of worrying about different bell curves.

Back to the Arizona issue: He couldn't have detained them with nothing.

He could have, though. You're just convinced he didn't. I may not have experience with the southern border, but your confidence in their practices is not consoling. The evidence and testimony speaks otherwise. And on top of all that, he neglected his duties as a law enforcement officer in many other respects. This is not someone who deserved pardon.

Trump did it because he knew exactly whom it would piss off. And so it goes with the current administration.