The News Thread

I actually agree with you, but I'm not an isolationist or an anti-interventionist or anything like that.

It's better to judge it on a case-by-case basis, I'm just thinking back to all the rhetoric I heard when Donald Trump was running from those who supported him. Talk of Donald Trump draining the swamp of neocon and neoliberal establishment types who meddle in foreign lands and waste taxes on military actions.

They all just seem so typically silent on the issue.

I think China's red ness explains that though, and their increased investment in the U.S.

I'm not sure I follow--are you saying that China is looking out for North Korea because of their respective communist values?

I only ask because I'm skeptical of China's "redness." It isn't really a communist country anymore. It's more like a weird hybrid mix of communist policies dictated by a capitalist imperative.

Last edited:
From your link:
But it's not uncommon for a former president to see his popularity jump after he leaves office.
A 2009 Gallup poll showed that only 35 percent of people liked former President George W. Bush, but after he'd left office and the news that he had taken up painting emerged, his approval rating has jumped up to 59 percent.

Bush Jr's post-presidency approval rating was higher than Obama's is right now during the Trump presidency. :lol:

From the comment section:
This is the same polling and media reporting which said Hillary had a 98% chance of winning the election. We all know how reliable that was.

Reactions: Nate Skalman
I'm not sure I follow--are you saying that China is looking out for North Korea because of their respective communist values?

i mean, we had a war there and china also fought a war in vietnam over redness. so that's why NK exists and how NVietnam exists

I only ask because I'm skeptical of China's "redness." It isn't really a communist country anymore. It's more like a weird hybrid mix of communist policies dictated by a capitalist imperative.

I know, that's my point. China doesn't blindly protect NK anymore because they are a red-facade now

I love the comments on that video, "If it wasn't for our colonialism and genocide over a 120 year period, the Japanese would have taken you over, you should be grateful". Amazing how Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia are vilified yet Great Britain is viewed with wistful eyes.

Great Britain brought some amount of modernization to its colonies, rather than simply extracting resources.

So did the Nazis and Soviets. Nazis built roads, infrastructure, etc. It's often glossed-over that many nations annexed by Nazi Germany, e.g. some of the Baltic states, actually didn't particularly mind Nazi occupation relative to what they had before (often corrupt antiquated kingdoms) or what the alternative was (Stalin). Obviously, if you were a Jew, gypsy, communist, etc living in one of those countries, that was another story. The Soviets too did some good, building housing, increasing education, availability of medicine, etc. No empire lasts long purely through subjugation and suffering of their subjects, they always have to bring some nominal positive and a sense of necessity to maintain their dominance.

The one advantage that Great Britain had was in bringing semi-autonomous governance and common law to some of its colonies, though arguably even Soviet Russia post-Stalin made efforts to deliver at least the former. However, in practice there doesn't seem to be a correlation between that and the ability of a country to flourish post-subjugation anyways.