The next album of Turisas?

Foinikas

Nov 6, 2007
Ok so it's been awhile since I last visited this place and I don't know if Turisas mentioned anything about a new album in any interviews yet,but I'd like to ask you the fans and perhaps Nygard could tell us his thoughts as well if he visits...what kind of a theme would you like the next album of Turisas to have?

Personally,I was amazed at how well the Varangian Way worked with being historically accurate and at the same time one heck of a good piece of work concerning the music and songs.

I personally would LOVE to see the next Turisas album's concept being Ragnarok with totally epic choir moments and various instruments as well as the hard badass viking style vocals of Nygard.Just imagine...frozen lands,Odin,Thor,Freja....Fenrir...Valhalla.

Either that or something about Kalevala.

I'm not waiting another 3 years for another Turisas album X(

I imagine they will release another album, unless they're too burnt out after this current tour finishes, them crazy foo's have been on the road for like 1+ year now =D

Not too bothered about what it's about tbh =D

The DVD will tide my over for a while ^_^

I don't even think it's been that long....it's not for me to decide....but maybe next year

I'm still enjoying The Varangian Way and the US tours :)

erhm, if anything Turisas (being the name of the Finnish god of war)'s new album will NOT be about the Norse event called Ragnarok, nor will it be about Nordic gods. Nordic mythology is different from Finnish mythology.

compare:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Paganism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_mythology
with:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_mythology

pretty different eh? Somewhat related perhaps, but different

(on a sidenote: ever wondered why Ensiferum sings about Ahti and not Ægir?)
You should know your facts, if you are North-European even more so ;)

regarding the band name and their former monniker:
Turisas: Tursas is the Tavastian god of war.
Köyliö: Lalli was Finn who slew Bishop Henry on the ice of Lake Köyliö, according to a legend.

I imagine they will release another album, unless they're too burnt out after this current tour finishes, them crazy foo's have been on the road for like 1+ year now =D

i´d guess they´d start recording it earliest in winter 2009. in spring they still tour, in summer a few festivals. in autumn some rest, and then maybe at the end of the year...

but yeah, only guessing...

Tripple *sigh*
erhm, if anything Turisas (being the name of the Finnish god of war)'s new album will NOT be about the Norse event called Ragnarok, nor will it be about Nordic gods. Nordic mythology is different from Finnish mythology.

compare:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Paganism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_mythology
with:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_mythology

pretty different eh? Somewhat related perhaps, but different

(on a sidenote: ever wondered why Ensiferum sings about Ahti and not Ægir?)
You should know your facts, if you are North-European even more so ;)

regarding the band name and their former monniker:
Turisas: Tursas is the Tavastian god of war.
Köyliö: Lalli was Finn who slew Bishop Henry on the ice of Lake Köyliö, according to a legend.

Whoever said they are the same?Don't piss me off I just woke up :Smug:

Can't a damn good band such as Turisas make an album about Ragnarok?Or is it "forbidden" to use other mythologies as a concept for a theme-based album?Smartass...

who's the smartass? It's weird to name your band after a god from one mythology and write songs about someting completely different. That would be like a band called Allah singing songs about Jahweh. IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. =P

Not to mention Turisas never really had *much* mythological content in their songs...but why they would write about Finnish instead of Nordic mythology:
1. they are from Finland
2. their band name is taken from Finnish mythology
3. their former bandname was also taken from a Finnish-mythology related story
4. they sing about Varangians, those people worshipped the Finnish gods, not Odin etc.
5. there are no referrences made before to Odin or w/e. but they DO refer to Turisas (Battle Metal -> 'The Heart of Turisas')

sorry to break it to you but Turisas has nothing to do with Vikings in the true sense of the word; most Finns are more related to Hungarians then they are to the Swedes and Norwegians. ;)

<comment removed by poster because he's sick and tired of people not being able to take criticism>

haha not at all lol. Sorry if it seems that way. I don't care, I am just making my point as to why the chances of Turisas writing something about Ragnarok or Odin and his henchmen are close to zero =P

sorry, I am a history student so if someone mixes this kind of stuff up I feel obliged to correct him or her ;)

edit:

back on topic, I do hope the new album will be epic, but I am afraid we'll have to wait some more =( with the upcoming tour n stuff the guys won't have much time to work on new material..I hope I am wrong ofcourse ^^

yeah, seemed that way ;) but guess it was like the normal reaction when you´re a history student... XD

who's the smartass? It's weird to name your band after a god from one mythology and write songs about someting completely different. That would be like a band called Allah singing songs about Jahweh. IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. =P

Not to mention Turisas never really had *much* mythological content in their songs...but why they would write about Finnish instead of Nordic mythology:
1. they are from Finland
2. their band name is taken from Finnish mythology
3. their former bandname was also taken from a Finnish-mythology related story
4. they sing about Varangians, those people worshipped the Finnish gods, not Odin etc.
5. there are no referrences made before to Odin or w/e. but they DO refer to Turisas (Battle Metal -> 'The Heart of Turisas')

sorry to break it to you but Turisas has nothing to do with Vikings in the true sense of the word; most Finns are more related to Hungarians then they are to the Swedes and Norwegians. ;)

Just admit you didn't know the difference between the 2 because that is clearly the case here. I don't feel like bashing your skull in even further lol.

First of all I'm not the one trying to look like a smartass!

Second...that's why I mentioned Kalevala,they could do that as well.But again WHY would it sound like out of place if they made an album about Ragnarok and Norse Mythology?Bands around the world have used that concept many times to do that.And besides Turisas live in Finland that is Scandinavia,Sweden,Norway,Denmark are neighbors so why does that sound so weird to you?

When Virgin Steele made "House of Atreus" did that sound like out of place because they were not Greek?

Sidenote:I could have been history student too but alas I'm a tourism administration student but my love history.

P.S.And damn I'm so pissed off now with your last comment "Just admit you didn't know the difference between the 2 because that is clearly the case here. I don't feel like bashing your skull in even further lol."

That was pathetic.What do you think I am,some 10 year-old kid?Wtf man?

that's just not how it works usually. Bands pick stuff from their countries own roots and stick to a certain theme. Because that's what makes them special.

How would you feel if Amon Amarth went on to sing about the Spanish Armada or something like that? you could argue it has to do with ships and ships have something to do with vikings so it would be an acceptable theme (wich ofcourse isn't the case). Mythology is something that means a lot to people, it's not something you should abuse just to sound epic. Especially not in the pagan metal scene. Most bands, including Turisas, know what they are on about. And that is NOT ragnarok ;)

Apparently, you don't know your geography either as Finland is strictly NOT a part of Scandinavia... ;) And like I said: the Suomi people are more related to central european people like the Hungarians than they are to their geographical neighbours, so they have no connection whatoever with Nordic mythology. And THAT's why I predict they aren't going to make an album about "Odin,Thor,Freja....Fenrir...Valhalla."

Sorry to disappoint you.

edit: and YOU called me a smartass, not the other way round.

that's just not how it works usually. Bands pick stuff from their countries own roots and stick to a certain theme. Because that's what makes them special.

How would you feel if Amon Amarth went on to sing about the Spanish Armada or something like that? you could argue it has to do with ships and ships have something to do with vikings so it would be an acceptable theme (wich ofcourse isn't the case). Mythology is something that means a lot to people, it's not something you should abuse just to sound epic. Especially not in the pagan metal scene. Most bands, including Turisas, know what they are on about. And that is NOT ragnarok ;)

Apparently, you don't know your geography either as Finland is strictly NOT a part of Scandinavia... ;) And like I said: the Suomi people are more related to central european people like the Hungarians than they are to their geographical neighbours, so they have no connection whatoever with Nordic mythology. And THAT's why I predict they aren't going to make an album about "Odin,Thor,Freja....Fenrir...Valhalla."

Sorry to disappoint you.

Dude you continue to insult me by telling me that I don't know geography as well.Do you even fucking know me?Seriously!You don't!So don't jump in conclusions from a suggestion I made.First of all it's not bad at all to sing about foreign mythology,history and battles as long as you like it,it inspires you and you think it's worth singing about it.Second I fucking really know what Suomi people are and the difference between Scandinavians as in Swedish,Norwegian,Danish etc.and Finns.

Now third it's not MY geography.I'm from Greece.Olen kreikkalainen!Kreikkalainen!If bands only picked up stuff from their own country's mythology we might have had a problem with many bands sinking and many good songs never being heard if you know what i mean.

So do me a favor please,while you don't know me,don't even dare to call me a noob when it comes to history,geography and cultures.Tusen takk.Kiitos.Tack.Ok?

Guys, STOP THAT NOW!

That thread wasnt meant to end in insults, rude geographical and historical discussions and who is better in what and has the greater knowledge.
Both of you could´ve been more polite in the process of this discussion. I am not saying that one started or whatsoever, that´s not the place for it.

Serious but polite and fair discussions are always welcome on forums, but that´s far over that.

I never called you a noob but you clearly didn't seem very 'l33t' with some of the statements you made. I feel i've played the same broken record over and over again and you just don't get it. I didn't mean to attack you as a person, but I could be just as pissed off as you apparently are, because you are the one calling me a smartass. But I am not pissed at all, I think this is a healty discussion and if you can't take the criticism that's your problem, not mine.

I never insulted you, I just said you apparently don't know all the facts. And you agree by telling me it's not 'your geography' as an excuse. Weak argument if you ask me, because one post before you used the geographical location of Finland as one of your most important arguments...

Back on topic: it's bands own choice IF they want to make music about mythology and if they do so, about WHAT mytholocial stuff they want to make music. It's however VERY rare for bands in the pagan/folk/viking/... metal genre to write about multiple mythologies. Those bands tend to pick one and stick to it. And because it's rather clear Turisas is one of the 'Finnish-mythology'-type bands (for arguments supporting this read some of my comments in this thread) I personally find it hard to believe they'll incorporate elements from other mythologies into their music. If that's Nordic/Germanic, Egyptian, Roman or Greek; it doesn't matter because the odds are very small it will ever happen. That's all I am saying, not really offensive eh?

In my point of view you keep supporting your point in a stubborn kind of way and if I counter your arguments (with in my view stronger ones) I am suddenly a smartass? lmao

edit:
Cari, I don't feel like throwing mud and I agree this is starting to get out of hand. I even edited some of my earlier statements because of that.

I apologise to everyone reading this and those of you who know me better know I'm normally not at all difficult and I want to say one more time that I am not trying to offend anyone.

Guys, STOP THAT NOW!

That thread wasnt meant to end in insults, rude geographical and historical discussions and who is better in what and has the greater knowledge.
Both of you could´ve been more polite in the process of this discussion. I am not saying that one started or whatsoever, that´s not the place for it.

Serious but polite and fair discussions are always welcome on forums, but that´s far over that.

I know!I never wanted to fight with anyone here.And I don't.All I did is make a suggestion.I also suggested something about Finland too.I could have suggested something about Ancient Greece or Medieval France/England too_Or about the early Dark Ages Germany.Or something like that anyway.

But when people have that kind of attitude towards me I get angry,sorry.

So well, lets see that as finished and go on with normal discussion, respecting each other and whatsoever. Then there is no prob, so ;)
if there is any private/personal conflict, we have that lovely PM function *laughing* ;)

oh and: dont take it personal with my post, simply tried to get things somehow back to normal again XD nothing personal at all

I never called you a noob but you clearly didn't seem very 'l33t' with some of the statements you made. I feel i've played the same broken record over and over again and you just don't get it. I didn't mean to attack you as a person, but I could be just as pissed off as you apparently are, because you are the one calling me a smartass. But I am not pissed at all, I think this is a healty discussion and if you can't take the criticism that's your problem, not mine.

I never insulted you, I just said you apparently don't know all the facts. And you agree by telling me it's not 'your geography' as an excuse. Weak argument if you ask me, because one post before you used the geographical location of Finland as one of your most important arguments...

Back on topic: it's bands own choice IF they want to make music about mythology and if they do so, about WHAT mytholocial stuff they want to make music. It's however VERY rare for bands in the pagan/folk/viking/... metal genre to write about multiple mythologies. Those bands tend to pick one and stick to it. And because it's rather clear Turisas is one of the 'Finnish-mythology'-type bands (for arguments supporting this read some of my comments in this thread) I personally find it hard to believe they'll incorporate elements from other mythologies into their music. If that's Nordic/Germanic, Egyptian, Roman or Greek; it doesn't matter because the odds are very small it will ever happen. That's all I am saying, not really offensive eh?

In my point of view you keep supporting your point in a stubborn kind of way and if I counter your arguments (with in my view stronger ones) I am suddenly a smartass? lmao

edit:
Cari, I don't feel like throwing mud and I agree this is starting to get out of hand. I even edited some of my earlier statements because of that.

Dude what are you talking about?I totally understood what you said and the way you said it felt like kind of "snubbing" me.I do know history and I do know more or less what's going on up there,what's Scandinavia,what's not,who's a Finn,who's a Russian,who's a Swedish,Estonian etc.Who was a Viking who was not.

I called you a smartass because it seemed like you were lecturing me about the differences of each mythology while I am well-aware that they are different.You simply didn't understand that I only made a suggestion.You could have just said "you know they'll probably not pick such a theme because they like finnish mythology better i know it,they've told me,it's their style" etc.

Stronger view points?You only talked about stuff i already knew.

If you felt insulted by my attitude then sorry,but it's just annoying to have a guy come to your house and wake you up and burst your bubble and seeing another guy in a forum implying that you don't know stuff you already know :loco: I'm sure you know how that can make someone angry a bit :lol:

Anyway,let's get back on topic.

By the way in byzantium we mostly called everyone from up there "Varangs" and we still consider Finns as Scandinavians although we know(those of us who at least know about Finland)that Finns and Swedes/Norwegians/Danes are different.

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES TO EACH OTHER THROUGH PRIVATE MESSAGE! THAT DOESNT BELONG IN THE THREAD ANYMORE!
gosh, I slightly get too much XD