The Norwegian Thread

If you learned old Norse you would probably not understand shit of modern norwegian, bar a few words. Same with other way around.

The danish people buttraped our language to fuck.. Its pretty vile if you ask me, i wouldnt mind learning old norse and getting a law much like the icelandic one.. You know, the one where you cant loan any damned words from an other language.

I don't know much about Old Norse though, except it lacked a lot of syllables we use today, and it also had some we dont.. The few words the old norse and norwegian share, were almost certianly pronounced very differently because of this. Still some survive in the original form through dialects, like my own, but they arent written words.

hmm I see. thank you. you just saved me from taking an Old Norse class my university offers.

p.s. I'm taking a class titled "Scandinavian Folklore" instead. should be interesting.

is there a rule that the "d" is silent when it is placed at the end of a word?
for example, in "God morgen (goh moh-ohrn)" and "God kveld. (goh kvel)" why don't we pronounce the "d"?

oh and for the word "morgen" why don't we pronounce the "g"?

We do pronounce the D at the end of some words, like "hud" (skin) for example.
I don't really know if there's a rule for it, but if you speak the language you can hear what sounds better.

hmm I see. so for most words, the "d" at the end is silent right?
And if I were to accidentally say "God Morgen" and pronounce the d and the g, would you guys know what I mean?

hmm I see. so for most words, the "d" at the end is silent right?

If the second last letter in a word is a consonant, the "d" will most likely be silent, but if it's a vowel it's 50/50 I guess, I'm not sure.

And if I were to accidentally say "God Morgen" and pronounce the d and the g, would you guys know what I mean?

We would understand you perfectly. :)

thank you! you guys are very helpful!

one last question (for today at least :p) Are you guys speaking Bokmal or Nynorsk?

I speak a dialect called Stavangersk, it's closer to nynorsk than bokmål, but very different from both actually. I don't know about the others here though.

EDIT: I write/type in bokmål.

I say Sweden become the primary power in Scandinavia again and force Swedish upon all and destroy Norweigan and Dannish (within Scandinavia).

:lol:

Eftersom alla kan forsta Svenska, men Norska ock Danska e bara :yuk:

Oh, and you had to be expecting such a response sooner or later!