The Novella Reservoir Impact

BloodSword

Jan 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, what can I say that hasn't already been very well said? This new album to my ears is powerful, crushing and beautiful. Imo, in listening for 3 days, the guitar work has improved in a more intricate and versatile way. It seems that Larry and Vito opened it up more on this album than on TPHD. Joe's drumming is superb, clean, strong and perfectly timed. Paul's vocals are just awesome as usual. I have said that Mr. Kuhr is one of the best vocalists in Metal today. I will substantiate why; when a vocalist gets me to believe what he is singing I'm floored. Paul sings with more sincerity and conviction than most singers out there. A little thing happened yesterday when I was watching my 3yr old niece. I was playing NR, and Carly was tranfixed in front of the speakers. "Twilight Innocence" came on and she was completely mezmerised. When it was over she started crying and said "play it again, Uncle Don" Well, I played it again and again( maybe 12 times in a row) and each time she cryed. I asked her why are you crying and she said in her little 3yr old voice " thats man's voice is sad and it makes me sad." So, I tried my best to explain to this little girl that the man singing was "happy" because he loved his girlfriend so much, and would do anything for her. She seemed to understand, after another 5 or so listens. She loves music, and I've never seen her react to a song like that ever. So, thanx Novembers Doom for helping me to connect better with my little niece. And she thanx you to. BTW, she was looking at the cd booklet and said "I like him" and she pointed to Vito. One last thing, the painting of the guy in the wheel-chair has a cool meaning to me, for I am in one also. I can certainly relate. All my admiration, respects and thanx. BloodSword(Donovan)

Thanks for sharing that Donovan, that was really really touching.

And I know it's easy to mistake me and Joe, we look alot alike.

:lol:
We need to get Joe to post here...
Or is he too busy pulling double duty with Soulfly?

Donovan - thanks for sharing that story.
You can see my thread for how this song has impacted me as well.

Thanks Donovan, very touching story! I have that ability to make kids cry. hahahah! For the record, the song isn't about a girlfriend, it's about my 4 year old daughter. :)

Fubar: Vito's the guitarist, not the Drummer. The skins belong to Joe!

Oh yeh, dunno wot i was thinking, lol.

Thanks Donovan, very touching story! I have that ability to make kids cry. hahahah! For the record, the song isn't about a girlfriend, it's about my 4 year old daughter. :)

Fubar: Vito's the guitarist, not the Drummer. The skins belong to Joe!
Paul, I guess I'll have to explain to Carly the song is about your daughter. I think it may "Impact" her more. Anyway, I forgot to mention, when my sister picked my little niece up, she started yelling at me "what did you do to my kid, why are her eyes swollen and red from crying" So, I sat her down and played "Twilight Innocence" for her, told her why Carly cried, and she started to cry too. What the fuck!!! must be something in a females genes. Peace.:lol:

It is seeing stories like this or when I saw Primordial live at Heathen crusade singing the Coffin Ships and seeing Alan look like he was soooo into that song "finally" getting to sing it on our shores that most people ,who don't give heavy metal a chance for all the hundreds of stereotypical reasons, will never understand!

It is seeing stories like this or when I saw Primordial live at Heathen crusade singing the Coffin Ships and seeing Alan look like he was soooo into that song "finally" getting to sing it on our shores that most people ,who don't give heavy metal a chance for all the hundreds of stereotypical reasons, will never understand!
Totally agree!! Heres something I can not wrap my head around: I ran into some "old" friends the other night( old drinkin' buddies) one in particular loved to listen to metal back in the 80's. You know, Mettalica, Priest, Iron Maiden so on and son on. We start talking about today's "music scene"(which I consider myself to be absolutely brilliant at discussing) and he tells me, "I don't listen to much Metal these days, I've found myself digging country." So as to not:puke: I swallowed down 2 shots of JD and a beer(I stopped drinking 4 yrs ago):kickass: I asked, "what kind of country are you into"? He said, you know, man Rascall Flatts and Alan Jackson and old Garth Brooks. I was completely speechless. :Smug: How does someone go from being really a pretty astute music listener to fuckin' rascall flatts(who are they) My theory is american music country, pop hip hop shit is about the "show" NOT the music. The music is secondary. And those of us who are busy and don't have time to really "listen" want that "instant gratification" or are just too fuckin' lazy to seek out good music or don't care. Lock all these idiots up, and sentence them to a lenghty jail term. Don't let them out until they develop good taste and/or get some SOUL.:heh:

The thing about country music, or rap, or metal or any style of music out there, is that there are artists who are truly gifted and talented at what they do and have something to offer. And then there are those who don't. In the end, it's all subjective anyhow as to who those "gifted" artists are and who aren't.

More to the point, is that its often hard to truly understood how people "stop" liking and listening to a certain kind of music, and then completely envelop themselves in a different form later, and so on. Music should not be like last fall's clothes style, in my opinion. If you say "well I liked that stuff when I was a kid" then my opinion is that you never truly liked it all that much to begin with....or at least not for the right reasons. Sure, there's certain songs or albums or bands that can fall out of favor after time, and people's tastes do evolve and change as you get older...but I could never relate to the people who say "Oh I loved metal as a kid, or as a teen, but not anymore". While I may not scour the metal cds as fervently as I did fifteen years ago, and my tastes have narrowed a bit in terms of what I give repeat listens anymore, I can't imagine ever saying I don't enjoy metal in general. But I guess it's because alot of people DO tend to wear their music like trendy clothes or whatever. And when that fad wears off, they move on. Or because the music is simply reflective of the kind of mindset and maturity level they have at that particular point in life, and if those things change over time, then so does their musical taste....for better or for worse!

Someone could argue too, regarding the whole "show" theory, that kids who go to see a black metal band playing so fast and noisily through a bad p.a. mix, but are happy as long as there's hair flailing, horns raised to satan, and plenty of studs and leather, corpse paint and pointy guitars onstage, are there moreso for "the show" than anything as well. I don't think it's a mentality that is limited to just country music and rap.

Perhaps, your friend finds the sound and words in country music to be more suited to his mood and his way of thinking at this point in his life? There are those out there who genuinely find inspiration and movement from country lyrics and the sound of a lap steel guitar, but are left scratching their heads when trying to appreciate "Number of the Beast" and "Disposable Heroes".

Different strokes for different folks, basically. I wouldn't hate on your friend for his changing musical tastes. But maybe one of these days you can get him drunk and pop in "master of puppets" or "british steel" and see if you can reignite his interests in heavy music.

Totally agree!! Heres something I can not wrap my head around: I ran into some "old" friends the other night( old drinkin' buddies) one in particular loved to listen to metal back in the 80's. You know, Mettalica, Priest, Iron Maiden so on and son on. We start talking about today's "music scene"(which I consider myself to be absolutely brilliant at discussing) and he tells me, "I don't listen to much Metal these days, I've found myself digging country." So as to not:puke: I swallowed down 2 shots of JD and a beer(I stopped drinking 4 yrs ago):kickass: I asked, "what kind of country are you into"? He said, you know, man Rascall Flatts and Alan Jackson and old Garth Brooks. I was completely speechless. :Smug: How does someone go from being really a pretty astute music listener to fuckin' rascall flatts(who are they) My theory is american music country, pop hip hop shit is about the "show" NOT the music. The music is secondary. And those of us who are busy and don't have time to really "listen" want that "instant gratification" or are just too fuckin' lazy to seek out good music or don't care. Lock all these idiots up, and sentence them to a lenghty jail term. Don't let them out until they develop good taste and/or get some SOUL.:heh:

I like country and I like metal. Nothing wrong with some good country. Although I'm not a fan of Alan Jackson. More along the lines of Gram Parsons, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, etc. You know, 50s, 60s, 70s country.

I can respect some country artists. I don't like it, but I can respect it.

I think that's all it really takes, is to have the respect to realize that these people are making the music they love to make (minus rap). haha.

Off topic but I'm currently watching Cobra: The Complete Series on dvd which starred the American Ninja himself, Michael Dudikoff.

Cheesy but fun.

cobra.jpg

Thanks for sharing that Donovan, that was really really touching.

And I know it's easy to mistake me and Joe, we look alot alike.

Ok, call me gay, but Gath Brooks has some brilliant music and I have to take his back(even though he only writes about 4% of his music lol) Seriously, some truly devistating songs in there. I am in no way a "country fan" honestly only a Gath and Hank fan when it comes to country, but the talent and song writting are there, and I am not ashamed to adimit and recognize it. I own all his albums!