The Number Of The Beast is Finished.

rabies

Proud IMG Guitarist!
Apr 16, 2001
Maryland USA
Visit site
Hate to interrupt from the football/games threads.. ;)

but..I finished mixing Beast.
You can find the Karaoke track on my myplay locker. msg me if you don't have access and want it

You can find the final track with 7th vox in Maidenmans locker.

If you can't get one or the other, let me know. I can email it.

EC..I hope you can grab em and post em on the website. =)

Comments always welcome. I am not adverse to remixing if you can't live with something. :D

Rabies I like it!:) I really like your production on this. You even made my bass track sound good. Thanks.:D

I can't think of anything you should change. Good job.:headbang:

Thank you Hyde.

I learned an important thing on this production. Remember how I was complaining that our tracks were too bassy? I made efforts to cut that down. I didn't want to go over board this go-around..but now I think I could have cut it more.

Guess what? ..and you guys probably already know this, the moment you cut those inaudible signals below the 100hz range or so, it completely makes more 'headroom' for everything else..so you can get the track hotter, and it sounds brighter and better....maybe that was your secret with women in uniform? You can almost audibly hear the track get louder brighter as you bring the levels of those frequencies down.

I spent a lot of time in EQ on this one. I was amazed at what EQ can do...both good and bad.

7th, if you read this...what was up with yoru recording setup? Your main vox track had a nasty hum in some places that i had to EQ out..but the funny thing was you had some punch-ins here and there that had no hum (the only reason I knew you punched).
Just thought you would like to know. I've never heard that hum on your tracks before.

Rabies you are right about the low frequencies taking up a lot of the headroom. I didn't even think about discussing that point before, glad you brought it up.:) The bass/sub bass range of frequencies take more energy to produce and actually make you have to cut back the volume level to keep everything from peaking out.
Records were made with a standard eq curve (I think it was called the RIAA curve, don't quote me on that though) that dropped the lows to a really low level so that they could boost the higher more relavant frequencies and create a louder sounding record.
The bass was added back in by standard circuitry withing the record player itself, to compensate for the lack of bass on the actual album, recreating the original mix.

Another thing that might interest you is that we use high frequencies to determine sense of direction. It's harder for our ears to discern direction from Low Bass/Sub Bass freq's. We are really perceptive to the direction of the source of high frequencies.

Hey... great sounding song! The mix is cool, real professional sounding but it still got that raw in your face sound! :)
The things you`re discussing with Hyde really makes me feel new here, I`ve been away for very long ha ha I read it and go.."what?!" The only complaint....I think the guitars drop to low in volume on that short part between the solos. I shut up now!

don't feel bad Adde...a year ago, I would have said the same thing about what I said. Since then, I have done a lot of mixing ..more mixing than recording...and forcing myself to learn/use the software that does all this....plus I pick Hyde and ECs brain...they know a lot of sh$t!

oh...and you are right about the guitar part there...but that was more a function of how I stupidly recorded that part more than anything. :cry:

Hyde,
What is the practical application of the high freq/direction thing? I can believe it. Also, if you can find that EQ curve, that would be cool. I'm listening to the old maiden tunes and thinking that they must have cut those levels almost down to nothing. On this beast track, I think I put in about a -10 db cut on all those freqs..and it is still louder than most commercial CDs.

Originally posted by rabies
Hyde,
What is the practical application of the high freq/direction thing? I can believe it. Also, if you can find that EQ curve, that would be cool. I'm listening to the old maiden tunes and thinking that they must have cut those levels almost down to nothing. On this beast track, I think I put in about a -10 db cut on all those freqs..and it is still louder than most commercial CDs.

Rabies I was right about it being called the RIAA curve. I probably have the specifics of the curve standard somewhere but I can't remember which book the information is in. They used the curve to compensate for the vinyl record's limited dynamic range.
By cutting the lows they could boost up the volume level and create a louder sounding disk. The circuitry would boost the lows during playback. If the standard was accurately followed, the original intended mix would be heard on playback.
Noise reduction such as Dolby works on a similar idea but with the opposite approach. With noise reduction highs are boosted or encoded by a standard amount during recording, and cut during playback. This was important for analog tape because of the slow 1 7/8 inches per second playback speed of the standard cassette. At that slow speed, there is an audible hiss in the upper frequencies that competes with the high end content of the recorded material. By boosting the wanted high end content during recording and cutting it during playback, the wanted signal would be cut back to normal level while the unwanted hiss would be dramatically reduced.

The upper frequencies are what we notice most when they are panned left or right and give us that perception of stereo sound.
The lows aren't as useful in manipulating the stereo image and can usually be centered. You would use it for tricking the ear into believing that a sound is coming from the left, right, front or rear.

ahhhh you caught me hehehe

yeah i decided to punch in here and there after you wanted the scream re done...

then I was not sure if I like the first take or the parts i punched in..

the only thing I heard the version on the web site..

seems to be alot of S sounds in the vox on my end....