The Official Good Television Thread

Season 11 with all the boring Commonwealth bullshit is really testing me. Most of the newest characters are lame too. The Reapers were cool, but too short-lived. I definitely agree with you that they should've been the show's final antagonists.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Already 1/4th of the way through 2024, and so far these have been my favourite shows:

invincible_ver19_xlg.jpgaTPMj3Bqb0WfHsIv8zUOROSjb7S.jpgmr_and_mrs_smith_ver2_xlg.jpgMV5BYjc3YWM3MjctZDAzNy00OWY4LTkwNjMtMWM2YTg1ZWRlMDAwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY3MDE5MDY1._V1_.jpg

Obviously not counting any of the stuff that hasn't wrapped up yet (eg Shōgun). Was not expecting to like Mr. & Mrs. Smith but it's actually really well made, doing a good job of balancing the dark comedy with the spy thriller stuff.

Looking forward to Fallout this Friday.

I thought The Ones Who Live was rather bad personally. I will say that it was well-acted, cinematic and quite entertaining, but the writing was not good. The final three episodes were all bad in unique ways that tanked my final impression of the series:

Ep 4: Seen a lot of praise for this one but it didn't work for me. It felt like the writers were trying too hard to relate their own personal romantic experiences to Rick and Michonne's situation and it leads to these hardened survivalists having juvenile arguments inside a crumbling building. When they were fighting through a zombie horde making petty jabs at each other it just felt so discordant with my understanding of these characters. Another issue is that once you realize it's A Bottle Episode About Rick and Michonne's Relationship, all tension is sapped because you know nothing major is gonna happen unless the writers are clever enough to break from the bottle episode format midway through but of course they aren't. It wasn't all bad, it was an atmospheric episode with some beautiful intimate moments but I thought it was at least 70% misfire.

Ep 5: Not gonna go into detail on this one, I'll just say I didn't really need a whole episode about Jadis.

Ep 6: In which the leader of the CRM sits down with Rick and finally reveals his 500-year plan to... destroy other communities and take their resources. Followed by Rick and Michonne single-handedly taking out a military base and democratizing a military dictatorship. I know Rick's (non-zombie) kill-count was high before but I feel like it's gotta be literally in the thousands now? I know this is the show's modus operandi by now, set up a big villainous faction only to have the heroes put on their plot armor and take it out in one episode of action heroics, but this was in the works for years, I expected better. I guess all that time was spent coming up with immortal dialogue like this:

Thorne: "In a dead world, love is dead."
Michonne: "Love never dies."

Dire.

Yeah it was definitely the weakest of the spin-offs, and by a mile too, felt very rushed, but it had enough to keep me entertained, unlike Fear which has me struggling to even finish s2 lol.

I also felt like I didn't recognise Rick and Michonne as characters when they were together. They plucked that dynamic out of their asses. Although that brief moment of them wandering around the wilderness using their skills gave a glimpse into what a cooler show could've been for them.

My biggest gripe is that, unlike Dead City or Daryl Dixon, it felt too obvious there wouldn't be a season 2 because they literally
killed everybody off. Once you realised it would be a pattern you stopped caring about any side characters.

Personally I want a Judith spin-off, and I'm hoping this set something like that up.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Was not expecting to like Mr. & Mrs. Smith but it's actually really well made, doing a good job of balancing the dark comedy with the spy thriller stuff.
Just started watching this last night, it better be worthy of the review!

Reactions: CiG
Yeah I kind of got that from the first three eps. After the first scene where the chick hid behind the veranda post in a gun fight, then walked toward the car without being shot I though it was going to be a bit piss weak. But they've introduced the new John and Jane well.

I haven't seen Glover in much but he'd do okay in a good action show.

Yeah it was definitely the weakest of the spin-offs, and by a mile too, felt very rushed, but it had enough to keep me entertained, unlike Fear which has me struggling to even finish s2 lol.

It's worth continuing, s3 owns.

...Then they boot the original showrunner, retool the show into a Morgan spinoff, and the quality falls off a cliff.

The quality already feels like it's off a cliff to me, all that's keeping me going is knowing that Morgan takes over. 🙃

I kinda like Nick I guess...

As huge of an improvement season 3 was to seasons 1 and most of 2, I'm instantly more into Fear the Walking Dead now that I'm on 4. The daughter from Taken driving a fucking post-apocalyptic battletruck? Garret Dillahunt as a good guy!?

I can't believe they
killed Nick off though!

Just finished up Shogun ... couldn't find a gif of the "you leave me no choice ... please kill him" part:kickass: but this clip will do...
EDIT: guys dont watch the whole thing just the first 30 or so seconds...
...i like how he rolls up like a G and bows before proceeding to slice them up, lol fuckin bad ass
@RadicalThrasher @CiG @Slayed Necros @no country for old wainds

Last edited:
Reactions: Slayed Necros