The Official IT'S FINALLY BASEBALL SEASON AGAIN - WOO! Thread

booB said:
Locally, though, Braves fans are...pathetically apathetic: their team consistently reaches the post-season and the games don't even sell out.

They're probably sick of seeing their team choke year after year. Thirteen straight pennants, and one WS championship??

Yeah, there's that, Paul said drily. :)

My answer to my own question is a bit like some of y'all's...I grew up with baseball since my dad was a player and umpire, and he got me into Little League. (I sucked, of course. Always got stuck in right field where they prayed no-one would ever hit the ball.... :)) But I learned the rules and the ins-and-outs of the game....

I think the reason why I like baseball is because it really is very much a game of strategy, a lot moreso than the other major sports. At the strategic level, managers have to decide on their batting order, who to pitch, when to pull their starters, where to position their infielders and the outfield for each batter, when to put in a pinch-hitter, etc. In some ways it's a battle of wits between the two managers: "Bases are loaded with the winning run at second. If I put in this southpaw as a reliever, will he pull his left-handed pinch-hitter in favor of his only remaining righty? The lefty's been announced, so he'd be wasted...." There aren't too many games where the PA announcer can be a part of the drama. And there are few -- if any -- professional sports where the very dimensions of the ballpark and its quirks become a part of the game, with every ballpark having different distances down the lines, etc. :)

On a more tactical level the game 'works' as a conflict between the pitcher and the batter on a purely physical level, but also between the batter and the catcher (who's flashing the signs for the pitches) on a mental level. Once the ball is put into play, it becomes a challenge between the batter and baserunners and the team in the field. To someone not familiar with the game and its rules, a slow game can seem a total bore......but fans can perceive the tension and the drama and know why it's there. A good, tight, well-played ballgame is a joy to watch.

booB said:
Locally, though, Braves fans are...pathetically apathetic: their team consistently reaches the post-season and the games don't even sell out.

They're probably sick of seeing their team choke year after year. Thirteen straight pennants, and one WS championship??

That's the 'Stros too man but I'm still at as many games as possible cheering them on. We had this conversation last year. I can't imagine being in the play-offs and not having a sold out crowd no matter how many years we choked. I'm not saying Houston fans are perfect - FAR FROM IT. When we were playing crappy last year almost no one was at the games. I was even at one game and the section we were in were booing Biggio cause he didn't get a hit. To me, that's wrong. That's your team man. You stick beind them no matter what!

We also have to get our fans to work on throwing the ball back when our team doesn't hit the homer. If nothing else, at LEAST on opening day. COME ON MAN!!! Ugh.

I love baseball because that's how my gramps and I bonded. When I was little (in the early 70's- quit laughing), he would take me to home Card's games or we'd watch them on TV and he would sneak me sips of his Ballantine or Falstaff beer- maybe that's why I love beer too! And face it, we gals look better in the team jerseys that you guys do!

am_ash2 said:
I love baseball because that's how my gramps and I bonded. When I was little (in the early 70's- quit laughing), he would take me to home Card's games or we'd watch them on TV and he would sneak me sips of his Ballantine or Falstaff beer- maybe that's why I love beer too! And face it, we gals look better in the team jerseys that you guys do!

You just hit on a sport guys fantasy. Women in Sports Jersey's and nothing else!!! Hellllllllllllllllllllo, hot!!! :loco:

Just make sure its my team ya'll are wearing!!!

Oh and Tess, The Astros Suck and The Cards Suck!!!LOL

Bear

Bear said:
You just hit on a sport guys fantasy. Women in Sports Jersey's and nothing else!!! Hellllllllllllllllllllo, hot!!! :loco:

Just make sure its my team ya'll are wearing!!!

Oh and Tess, The Astros Suck and The Cards Suck!!!LOL

Bear

HA! That doesn't say much for San Diego cause we both kick YOUR A buddy!!

Since I entered this thread late, I might as well go back and answer all the requisite questions... :)

Who else loves baseball and what team do you follow?

I'm a 1) Red Sox, 2) Tigers, and 3) Indians fan. Unfortunately, my #1 team is getting the crap kicked out of it so far. Yuck the Fankees!

I don't pay as much attention to the National League as I should, but my favorite teams happen to be the most talked about ones here: the Braves, 'Stros, and Cards. I also have a soft spot for the Padres, because, let's face it: it's impossible to hate the Padres. :)

WHY do you like baseball, over (say) football, basketball or hockey?

Well... I don't like it over hockey... but I suppose I like it more than other sports just because it was my chosen pastime growing up. Not having played as much football or basketball in my youth, I don't tend to associate myself with those sports as much, I suppose. I've played baseball and tennis the most, and I tend to enjoy watching them a lot. (Then again, I've never played hockey -- or even ice skated before -- and it's my favorite sport to watch. Go figure. :) )

Also, the suspense factor in baseball makes it more interesting and engaging to watch than a lot of other sports.

Basketball just sucks. I hate it. Except when "my" Pistons are the champs... but then I only enjoy it for a little while, then get bored with it again. :)

And face it, we gals look better in the team jerseys that you guys do!

...especially the next morning, in lieu of a nightgown. :)

Actually I'm more of a hockey-jersey-on-semi-nude-woman guy myself... but there's something painfully erotic about a baseball jersey, unbuttoned, on an otherwise-naked woman, open so you can see the middle, while still covering up the "good parts" on either side. LOL... okay, I guess I've said too much here.

BTW Tess, when did you become such a Yankees-hater? Don't get me wrong; I'm right there with ya, LOL... I'm just curious. :)

booB said:
BTW Tess, when did you become such a Yankees-hater? Don't get me wrong; I'm right there with ya, LOL... I'm just curious. :)

Hmmmm I don't know. Probably when my sister decided she loved them and wouldn't shut up about how great they are. It got pretty old real fast so I just learned to start rooting against them at all costs. I never like the bandwagon team and they so are the bandwagon team. She's never even been to NY (will be going with me in a few weeks) but LOVES the Yankees ...."because Derek Jeter is SO HOT" she'll never admit it but that's why she likes the Yankees. BTW, he's so NOT hot.

I am going to the Marlins game tonight.. Should be fun, considering yesterday's performance :)

I am just a bit worried about Leiter... I hope he can put up better numbers than spring training (9+ ERA!)

Angrafan said:
I am going to the Marlins game tonight.. Should be fun, considering yesterday's performance :)

I am just a bit worried about Leiter... I hope he can put up better numbers than spring training (9+ ERA!)

Whatever bud! At least you've got good taste in music! :D

Bad Girl Tess said:
HA! That doesn't say much for San Diego cause we both kick YOUR A buddy!!

LOL sorry but your not really close. I am a San Francisco GIANTS fan hellllloo!!!! As for the ass kicking thing, we shall see whos the best team in that dept this year :loco:

Bear

Bear said:
LOL sorry but your not really close. I am a San Francisco GIANTS fan hellllloo!!!! As for the ass kicking thing, we shall see whos the best team in that dept this year :loco:

Bear

Yea, yea whatever. Your team SUCKS! All we can do is watch and see............................................................:p

Bear said:

Bear

I went to the opener for the Giants yesterday, great game but man was it packed. When Bonds was giving his thank you speech I yelled out "and I'd like to thank Balco". bahahaha. I'll root for the Giants (cept for Bones) as long as they're not playing the Cubs,A's,Padres, or Astros.

To track back to the "why baseball" question, for me it's only baseball. I don't like any of the other major sports, well cept Golf but I don't pay attention to it that much, and it's not one of the 4 "major" sports. Baseball for me, and apparantly a lot of others, is what I grew up on. Mom is a huge baseball fan and took me to cubs games when i was 4-7yr's old all the time, moved to LA and went to tons of Dodger games, and Padres in SD all the time as well. Started playing when I was like 5 in tee-ball and to this day still play (well softball at a pretty competitive level). I've been to like 3 football games in my life and hated every moment of it. Bunch of rude fat drunk motherfuckers all over the place, nothing about a bunch of blockheads running into each other for 2 hours does anything for me. Hockey, I can stand it to an extent, just hate the fights. Basketball annoys me cause of the cockiness of the players, and I just find it super boring.

Something about the strategy, history, listening to a game on the radio, the crack of the bat, just makes baseball such a memorable experience for me.

No matter what anyone says, Bonds is still teh best player the game has ever seen, bar none.

Dude, when Hockey resumes, we'll hit up a Sharks game and then you'll know!!!

Bear

longshot9 said:
I went to the opener for the Giants yesterday, great game but man was it packed. When Bonds was giving his thank you speech I yelled out "and I'd like to thank Balco". bahahaha. I'll root for the Giants (cept for Bones) as long as they're not playing the Cubs,A's,Padres, or Astros.

To track back to the "why baseball" question, for me it's only baseball. I don't like any of the other major sports, well cept Golf but I don't pay attention to it that much, and it's not one of the 4 "major" sports. Baseball for me, and apparantly a lot of others, is what I grew up on. Mom is a huge baseball fan and took me to cubs games when i was 4-7yr's old all the time, moved to LA and went to tons of Dodger games, and Padres in SD all the time as well. Started playing when I was like 5 in tee-ball and to this day still play (well softball at a pretty competitive level). I've been to like 3 football games in my life and hated every moment of it. Bunch of rude fat drunk motherfuckers all over the place, nothing about a bunch of blockheads running into each other for 2 hours does anything for me. Hockey, I can stand it to an extent, just hate the fights. Basketball annoys me cause of the cockiness of the players, and I just find it super boring.

Something about the strategy, history, listening to a game on the radio, the crack of the bat, just makes baseball such a memorable experience for me.

i love my astros...
i can't wait til MY MAANNNNNN backe starts playin'....we WILL be married someday! ;)

niiiiiice hit chip ;)

and....GO REDS!!

ahhhh i missed baseball *sigh*

Oh my word!! Its the other one!!!!!!Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hehe just kidding Annie, good to see ya postin!!Hey I took that picture!!!

Have fun in NYC is a few weeks :loco:

Bear

All you cubs fans are kiling me. I am a natural born southsider that drinks coke and not pepsi. Go Sox! All the way baby! And if we dont' win, at least we can say that our stadium did not hurt anyone!:heh:

Keep Rockin'
saMetal

Is Wrigley THAT bad?

Besides, it's history in itself. :)

booB said:
Also, the suspense factor in baseball makes it more interesting and engaging to watch than a lot of other sports.

Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. Football has a bit of suspense since it's broken up with downs and huddles, but basketball and hockey, with their nonstop action, have almost none.

I can go back and play the Infamous Ninth Inning from tape here and just get goosebumps from the suspense and tension: Braves vs. Pirates, Braves down by one, two outs, tying run at third and winning run at second in the person of Sid "Scooter" Bream (his nickname was a joke on his lack of running speed)....with the entire city hanging on every pitch to Francisco Cabrera. It doesn't get much better than that.