the official movie thread

I absolutely love old fantasy movies, especially, like Conan: The Barbarian, Krull, Excalibur, Dragonslayer and so on although, in addition to those, I love Braveheart, Dances With Wolves, The Shawshank Redemption, Tuck Everlasting, Gladiator, The Odd Couple, Amadeus and fair amount of others, too! :)

The critics may hate him, but director Michael Bay is once again laughing his way to the bank. And this movie just premiered last week.

From Boxofficemojo.com:

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Domestic: $228,441,219 50.8%
+ Foreign: $221,198,016 49.2%
= Worldwide: $449,639,235 as of June 30, 2009

Who in here is gonna watch Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen?
Yep, very cool flick, but with a distinct flaw, it's just too long (2.5 hours). Bay could've shaved 20 minutes off this movie and it would've been streamlined to near perfection. Oh, and two twin autobots had too much of an unecessary "Jar Jar Binks" feeling of annoyance/stereotype. Still, I wanna see it again very soon, but will likely wait for the DVD. The critics suck, this was a really fun flick...but I'm biased as the Transformers hold a special place in my heart from my childhood.

This review about nails it.

Watched a couple of films that deserve a mention recently. Mesrine:Killer Instinct and Mesrine : Public Enemy Number One. Vincent Cassel did a tremendous job. I was very impressed, even though I didn't know anything about the guy. Apparently he was this french gangster in the 60s and 70s.
New Moon was as terrible as I thought it would be but I have to say the staff showing was absolutely epic as we all ripped the piss most thoroughly. If we had tried that during a public showing I would have probably got my arse chucked out. Rather ironic at work...
I want to see Sherlock Holmes as I like Robert Downey Jr. I suppose I will have to grit my teeth during the Jude Law parts. Avatar 's still on free list so I can't watch it yet. To be honest I'm not overly excited about it.

Watched Centurion and I enjoyed it. I didn't think I would. It's all about this legion who get decimated by the Picts , and the survivors are being chased by this relentless hunter so they're trying to get away to safety. Michael Fassbender did a good job, I was quite impressed with him. I must try and watch 'Fish Tank' when I get a chance.

Watched Iron Man 2 and Prince of Persia: Sands of time back to back at work. Both films were alright , but nothing dazzling .

I think the best part of Iron Man is Robert Downey Jr and his interaction with Gwyneth Paltrow. As soon as the explosions and the big guns started , I was lost and frankly a bit bored. I much prefer the scenes with Tony Stark and Pepper sparring and flirting with each other. I found Scarlet Johansen irritating to be honest, but then I'm not very keen on her so that might have been it. I thought I would find it extremely distracting to have Terrence Howard replaced by Don Cheadle seeing as they are nothing alike but he did a good job so I didn't miss Howard too much.

As for Prince of Persia ,I'm not entirely sure what to think of it. I liked the action and Jake Gyllenhaal did OK. The Princess was extremely annoying but she calmed down after a while. I think it was the latter part of the film that held the most problems for me, but I'll wait a bit until others have seen it before we discuss it, shall we?

Tekken
Oh joy, another movie based on a video game. Just what we need. Much like the two films based on Street Fighter II, this adaptation of the Tekken game series is just downright craptacular. Laughable acting, bland storyline and horrid pacing make for a bad viewing experience. And if you're a fan of the game, stay away from it, as you might end up breaking something if you watch it.

Rating: :puke::puke::puke::puke:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWVTLLPwaQc]Tekken[/ame]

anyone going to watch the new spiderman movie coming out this summer?

and yes the pic in my sig really is spiderman

Don't know whether anyone here heard about Iron Sky, an upcoming Finnish movie basically created with the help of internet community. It's a crazy sc-fi parody about a bunch of nazis escaping to the back side of the moon in 1945, who are now (year 2018) coming back with a vengeance and have unknown to earth technology in their posession. Yes, I know, :p but the main story is only a framework for detailed load of humor, loans and references to big Hollywood films and a semi serious parody of our current human society. So much reality there will be though, that English is spoken by all characters, except the naziz of course speak German. ;)

The movie was screened at the Berlinale festival in February for a five 1000+ theaterfulls of people and got standing ovations. Also it was showed at SXSW festivals in Texas a couple of weeks ago, so there is a hope it will appear at theaters at least in some of the biggest cities in the USA.

A pre-screening tour of about 20 cities is still on in Finland with the director and producer answering questions after showing it. Almost all screenigns have been sold out. The premiere is on April 4. in Finland, but they tell us that it's been sold to over 80 countries already. Don't know in how many countries the movie will hit big screens, but if you'll have a chance to see it, it's higly recommended.

Watch the trailer at http://www.ironsky.net/
The first four and half minutes of the movie here:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ironsky

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll see The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey when it comes out.

I saw the US version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last week and thought it was good despite an easy villain to spot.

Next up I hope is Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

I saw the US version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last week and thought it was good despite an easy villain to spot.
I hate how Hollywood always have to re-make every good movie others in the world ever created. Why add all the ASMCs ( = American Standard Movie Cliches) just to please American people and ruin the original works.

Shit, Hollywood would re-paint even Mona Lisa if they'd make money with it. They have no sense honour on anything others will do, do they?
/rant

Anyone here seen "Before the devil knows your dead". Fantastic movie, fantastic performance by Ethan Hawke! And only 5 euros!

I am refusing to watch the Hollywood version of The Girl With the Dragon tattoo. I am curious about it, but a while ago, my cousin mention that she saw it and she disliked it. She preferred the Swedish version. Now, my cousin and I don't always have the same taste, but here's the deal: she was 14 or so when we saw the original, Swedish film. Now I know some people might think "but you can't let a 14 year old watch that!". Well rest assured, she was very mature about it for her age. :) This is a girl who also likes typical tweeny stuff so to hear her say she loved a foreign movie so much that the Hollywood version did not appeal to her at all was quite a shock to me, but I was pleased. :D So if a 14 year old can notice the difference in quality between the two movies I am a little vary of it. XD