The Official Royal Carnage CANDLEMASS Thread

Papa Josh

Minister of Propaganda
I could've sworn that I've already started a thread long ago... but I can't seem to find it. Was probably lost in the last crash...

Anyhow, I got the 2 dvd set from a pr friend today, and man, it is amazing. Once again, I have pulled all of my cds from the shelves for play. Currently going through the second album, Ancient Dreams, what a beast of fucking doom.

Candlemass are one of the definitive doom metal bands. Absolute classic.

Discuss.

If you think Ancient Dreams is their second album you have definitely missed one of their greatest albums, either Epicus... or Nightfall.
For me Candlemass is more or less the only Doomband I need. Seen them live twice.

I thought of starting this thread too. EWIREEEDS.

Tranq: I think he might mean that it's the second album in a row he's listening to...

I have only two albums, "Epicus..." and "From the 13th Sun." Epicus is classic and totally amazing, 13th is severely underrated. I don't know why that one ends up in bargain bins everywhere because while it is total Sabbath worship it is a great album really.

Tranquillian said:
If you think Ancient Dreams is their second album you have definitely missed one of their greatest albums, either Epicus... or Nightfall.
For me Candlemass is more or less the only Doomband I need. Seen them live twice.
Yeah, slap me around and call me bitch... I completely forgot about Epicus (it's currently not in my collection, was at one time...).

Thanks for the benefit of the doubt though, Erik. :loco: And you're right, From The 13th Sun is great, the vocalist even has the vibe of John Michael Osbourne.

But Messiah Marcolin will always be the greatest Candlemass vocalist. It's a fucking shame tha the band imploded again....

Nightfall kicks a nearly unbelievable amount of ass. That's the only one I have though.

I must say I prefer the "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus" vocalist to Messiah. Messiah's still great, but I'm not a fan of his sometimes excessive vibrato. PJ. YOU. MUST. GET. EPICUS.

Erik said:
I must say I prefer the "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus" vocalist to Messiah. Messiah's still great, but I'm not a fan of his sometimes excessive vibrato. PJ. YOU. MUST. GET. EPICUS.
Damn, I thought Messiah was the vocliast on Epicus. That's what prevented me from getting it, because I couldn't get into his 'birdcall' vibrato. He sounds a bit too much like a strangled parrot. In fact, I think he might be pretending to be that vocalist in Hatebeak. :loco:

So the point is, I will now search out Epicus Biggus Dickus.

Oh my, I now have all three Messiah era albums thanks to Tranquillian who bought the remasters and sold me the old ones. This is such ownage, the more I listen to Candlemass the more I love them... "At the Gallows End" gives me shivers down my spine, holy fucking hell this rules

I doubt if any album can dethrone "Epicus" from my top spot, though, but we'll see...

Erik said:
Oh my, I now have all three Messiah era albums thanks to Tranquillian who bought the remasters and sold me the old ones. This is such ownage, the more I listen to Candlemass the more I love them... "At the Gallows End" gives me shivers down my spine, holy fucking hell this rules
That's cool. So are you beginning to get used to Messiah's vocals? I'm not quite there yet, because I keep thinking 'power metal vocals' + 'awesome doom' does not compute! Now Solitude Aternus on the other hand seem to have a more approachable vocal style, not to take anything away from Candlemass, but I think you would rather enjoy SA...

And what did you think of the Solstice Halcyon EP? [Respond in your CD-R thread, heh]