The Official Royal Carnage CANDLEMASS Thread

its 2020 dude where you been

good work tho

Well, when I was a dumb kid I wasn't really that into clean vocals or slower music so I wasted a lot of time on garage BM bands and death metal that sounded the same. Then I took a long break where I wasn't really looking into new stuff, put some hairs on my proverbial chest, and bingo here we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: einride
I remember my doom binge. Good times. Enjoy it. Youll discover some great music.

Incidentally, Candlemass was never my thing. I never could break through on those high pitched soaring vocals like Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Scald, etc.

Youll eventually hit the Hellhound roster and Maryland doom scene. Lots of classics in there.

i did. I know it's a different vocalist than Messiah. I just couldn't get into it.

and i honestly dont see what the big deal is with "Solitude". that song is freakin' awful. just not my bag.

I remember my doom binge. Good times. Enjoy it. Youll discover some great music.

Incidentally, Candlemass was never my thing. I never could break through on those high pitched soaring vocals like Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Scald, etc.

Youll eventually hit the Hellhound roster and Maryland doom scene. Lots of classics in there.

Yeah, I've been getting into that stuff. It's been fun. I've been cycling through the major sub-genres since my interest in metal re-kindled and looking for the good stuff I missed the first time around. Back in the day I never listened to Power Metal or Doom Metal and I didn't put much effort into traditional Heavy Metal or even Thrash. I just got enamored with all the variations of Death Metal and Black Metal.

I'm not sure that I enjoy the stuff with Messiah thus far, though I do like what I've heard of Solitude Aeturnus.

I would enjoy Solitude Aeturnus more with lower register vocals I think. The musicianship is top notch. Just never could appreciate Rob Lowe's vocals. Maybe I would like them more today.

I remember my foray into power metal/heavy metal. Lots of good stuff to listen to. I discovered early Manowar, Virgin Steele, Manilla Road, Iron Savior, etc. Maybe just start with Maiden and Priest.

Other than a few albums, thrash is not my bag, and I'm okay with that

I would enjoy Solitude Aeturnus more with lower register vocals I think. The musicianship is top notch. Just never could appreciate Rob Lowe's vocals. Maybe I would like them more today.

I remember my foray into power metal/heavy metal. Lots of good stuff to listen to. I discovered early Manowar, Virgin Steele, Manilla Road, Iron Savior, etc. Maybe just start with Maiden and Priest.

Other than a few albums, thrash is not my bag, and I'm okay with that

I just bought the Russian versions of the first three Solitude Aeturnus albums since the originals are stupid expensive.

I did listen to Maiden back in the day and I recently got into Manowar.

I also got really into Thrash and it's probably second or third sub-genre for me now. I need to make a thread about these genre cycles.

Have you heard this compilation? It has the And Justice For All demo and some other tracks from the early days. The first seven songs feature the original singer from when they were just Solitude. He is a lower register singer. Compare this version of "It Came Upon One Night" with the Lowe version on Beyond the Crimson Horizon:

Getting into both Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus now even more than before.

I finally picked up Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, and Tales of Creation. Epicus remains number one, but really digging these, especially Tales.

Jamming SA a lot more and in love with Through the Darkest Hour. I've become a big fan of Rob Lowe's vocals. He kills it on the latest Tyrant album and I really like his performance with Last Chapter as well.

Getting into both Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus now even more than before.

I finally picked up Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, and Tales of Creation. Epicus remains number one, but really digging these, especially Tales.

Jamming SA a lot more and in love with Through the Darkest Hour. I've become a big fan of Rob Lowe's vocals. He kills it on the latest Tyrant album and I really like his performance with Last Chapter as well.
Solitude Aeturnus is classic Texas doom.

Reactions: Wyvern and SonOfNun