The one band that you would go for...

anything Kiske
anything Jon Arch
Falconer w/Mattias Blad
Lost Horizon w/Daniel
anything Dio
Redemption or FATES freaking WARNING (of course w/special guest Jon Arch)
Opeth only playing off of Still Life and before

Thats one band right?

Headline status bands that would draw me if only ONE were to play:

Pretty Maids
Virgin Steele
Within Temptation

OPENER status bands that I would go if only ONE were to play:
Vanishing Point
Human Fortress
Redemption (although realistically this is more of a third or fourth slotter)

Put me in with the "I'll be there regardless" crowd (it's so cool to
already be here in Georgia!) - I'd love to see another killer reunion
like Crimson Glory, Fifth Angel, Accept or Elegy; otherwise someone
like Vicious Rumors would be fine with me! :worship:

Same as everybody else...I don't have many bands that I DO NOT want to see,so most likely I will be there for a fourth go round.The one band that held me back from going last year was Therion...I even bought the double disc and forced myself to listen to it 4 or 5 times...but in the end Therion was way too much for me to handle as a headliner...so I passed.
How about a thread for bands that would absolutely stop you from going to ProgPower?Mind you,these would be headliners or 2nd billed acts that would make you say no to PP.Nothing like a little negativity so Glenn doesn't shit the proverbial bed and book somebody so vile and disgusting that only 500 people show up.

TwizstedJesus said:
How about a thread for bands that would absolutely stop you from going to ProgPower?Mind you,these would be headliners or 2nd billed acts that would make you say no to PP.Nothing like a little negativity so Glenn doesn't shit the proverbial bed and book somebody so vile and disgusting that only 500 people show up.

You can take bets on how fast I delete that thread.

I am surprised no one has ever recommended Derek Sherinian.
His solo albums are pretty good (Though they contain a lot of guest musicians who would be difficult to get).

mtndewqueen88 said:
After this year, I'm definitely with the crowd that doesn't even care who's playing. *You* make the festival make my world.
Awwww...so touching.... =)

mtndewqueen88 said:
But... since I missed them last year and they apparently slayed... Therion.
The understatement of this century! =p

mtndewqueen88 said:
Or any band/group that brings Arjen Lucassen over.
Indeed.

Glenn,do you really think you would throw a party and only 500 of your closest friends would show up?Its an almost guarantee that those who are repeat PP'ers will go no matter the band lineup.Its a rare instance when there is a band so lousy that the seats would be empty.
No offense meant,big guy

None taken.

I simply don't want any "Band A sucks" threads as I walk more of a political tight rope that people realize when it comes to dealing with bands, booking agents, managers, and labels.

I still like the idea someone had a while back about changing it up a bit..
Maybe like a NORTH AMERICA VS EUROPE type thing, where one night is all US bands, and the other is European bands.
Granted, I know this might be limiting as you couldn't have bands from Asia or South America, for instance.

I think it would be nice to showcase what North America has to offer for power and / or prog.

Pain of Salvation (sneak 'em in to avoid finger printing problems =p)

It would really have to be a terrible line up to keep me from coming each year though. I don't see that happening.

I think the problem with that format is...

Glenn brings us bands who do not play the states,or don't play them often,with the obvious exception of Evergrey(Glenns pet band lol).Having a one night US band line-up would be a hard show to build with bands from the US that don't play the US often.Most of these bands play a few shows near their hometown,the obvious places like NYC Cleveland Toronto etc...People may not be as interested to see these bands in a festival setting since they can catch them near their home at a whole hell of a lot less than a weekend trip to Atlanta.
The big reason why I started at ProgPower in 2003 was due to the fact that the bands on the roster were infrequent or non existant on the US tours.A Vision Divine tour of the Us would be a financial disaster for the band,but an appearence at PP would put them on the map for a future tour of the US,with word of mouth from the show in Atlanta breaking the name in america.
I could have this all wrong,but I don't see it being possible due to the sales aspect.
Heres my vote for Sieges Even next year
Fragile Vastness
Wastefall
Twisted into Form
Helloween re-union
Savatage
Redemption
Crimson Glory
....the list goes on and on

I totally agree with you. The main appeal is to see bands that normally would not be here. That is why I was not excited at all when both Evergrey and Nevermore were announced. I know this will not be a popular opinion, but so be it.
This is another reason why I have no clue why people keep asking for Iced Earth and Symphony X. They will be in your town soon enough.

That being said, there are plenty of US bands who would benefit from the exposure. Or ones on the rise, such as Cellador, who would get even more of a push.

Also, this would be a perfect night for Savatage or Fates Warning, for example, to headline.

I am sure it won't happen, and don't shoot the messenger!
I am just repeating a previous suggestion.

Jasonic said:
I totally agree with you. The main appeal is to see bands that normally would not be here.

This is another reason why I have no clue why people keep asking for Iced Earth and Symphony X. They will be in your town soon enough.

That being said, there are plenty of US bands who would benefit from the exposure. Or ones on the rise, such as Cellador, who would get even more of a push.

Also, this would be a perfect night for Savatage or Fates Warning, for example, to headline.

Your posts continue to puzzle me. Cellador (with Trivium) tour dates:

DATEMARKETVENUE
TICKETS
Sat/Sep-30FT. LAUDERDALE, FLCULTURE ROOMBuy TicketsSun/Oct-01Lake Buena Vista FLHouse Of Blues - OrlandoBuy TicketsMon/Oct-02Atlanta GAMasqueradeBuy TicketsTue/Oct-03Norfolk VANorva TheatreBuy TicketsWed/Oct-04Baltimore MDRecher TheatreBuy TicketsFri/Oct-06Philadelphia PATrocaderoBuy TicketsSat/Oct-07Worcester MAThe PalladiumBuy TicketsSun/Oct-08Montreal QCLe MedleyBuy TicketsMon/Oct-09Toronto ONPhoenixBuy TicketsTue/Oct-10New York NYNokiaBuy TicketsThur/Oct-12Buffalo NYShowplace TheatreBuy TicketsFri/Oct-13Cleveland OHPeabody'sBuy TicketsSat/Oct-14Detroit MIHarpo's Concert TheatreBuy TicketsSun/Oct-15Columbus, OHNewport Music HallBuy TicketsMon/Oct-16Cincinnati OHBogartsBuy TicketsTue/Oct-17Chicago ILMetroBuy TicketsWed/Oct-18St Paul MNStation 4Buy TicketsFri/Oct-20Denver COGothic TheatreBuy TicketsSat/Oct-21Salt Lake City, UTAvalon TheatreBuy TicketsMon/Oct-23Portland ORHawthorne TheatreBuy TicketsTue/Oct-24VancouverCroatian Cultural CentreBuy TicketsWed/Oct-25Seattle WAEl CorazonBuy TicketsFri/Oct-27San Francisco CASlim'sBuy TicketsSat/Oct-28Los Angeles CAAvalonBuy TicketsSun/Oct-29San Diego CASomaBuy TicketsMon/Oct-30Pomona CAGlasshouseBuy TicketsWed/Nov-01Tempe AZMarquee TheatreBuy TicketsFri/Nov-03Houston TXThe MeridianBuy TicketsSat/Nov-04San Antonio TXWhite RabbitBuy TicketsSun/Nov-05Ft. Worth TXRidglea TheatreBuy Tickets

Then you have two more festivals they are part of:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 21 2006[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3:00P[/FONT]MADPOWER Fest 2006[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Madison, WI[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Oct 29 2006[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8:00P[/FONT]Saints And Sinners Festival[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Asbury Park, NJ[/FONT]

What's the difference in booking them vs. a band like Iced Earth who haven't played the U.S. in a few years?

Also, I have tried to get Tage and Fates every year. I got so frustrated that I cooked up the Weapons of Mass Destruction appearance as a result.

Cellador was simply an example of one of the US's younger talented bands.
They would benefit more from the exposure than Iced Earth would.
Not that it matters, but I think Cellador are only on a handful of those Trivium dates.
Maybe Cellador was a bad example, considering they are getting some good exposure this year.

I don't see why my posts would be puzzling.

I am actually giving you serious props for bringing many bands over for the first time to the states.

My thought was that you can use that model then to give exposure to a couple US bands who haven't had the chance to play in front of a festival sized crowd. (Pyramaze was a great choice this year, for example).

Sorry if you don't share this belief, but whenever I see someone asking for Iced Earth or Symphony X, my initial thoughts are:
1) Great bands, but I have seen both MANY times
2) They would probably be on tour anyways, so what would be unique about this performance
3) Aren't there plenty of other bands of the same caliber who haven't done full US tours, or who haven't been here in years?

Jasonic,

I understand where you are coming from 100%. First, I'll address the "regular U.S. tour" aspect as opposed to the repeat festival performances that you are against. The thing that you have to remember (and I'm sure you disagree) is that you are spoiled by being in a major market in the U.S. for shows of our size/genre. For example, many of the shows that hit Chicago do not perform south of the Mason-Dixon line for the most part or even within a two state radius. Jax in Virginia may as well be the South Pole of the underground metal scene. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule..but that is the norm. My crowd comes from all over instead of just migrating from a major city. Thus, you are going to hear plenty of requests for bands they have not seen yet you have.

As for festival repeats, I simply have to position myself safely in terms of draw. Like it or not, repeat bands that were popular in a previous year will draw repeat ticket buyers. I have to mix that in with established stars, oddballs, and new bands to keep the mix fresh...yet safe for me in terms of being able to sell tickets.