the OPETH FANS PICTURE PAGE

that flying contraption looks amazing. it must be so awesome to be up that high all by yourself up there.

but on a more morbid note...have any close calls or near crashes? :erk: how safe are they?

extremely safe. much much safer than driving in any case.

The closest ive got to another glider is when i went flying on a ridge in Scotland. The wind blows against the hill and is deflected upwards, so if you stay in the rising air you can stay up for as long as you like. There were about.. 15 or 20 gliders (including myself) on the ridge (which is about a mile long) going up and down it, and you have to avoid each other. Its pretty simple really, you just have to keep a good lookout of what's around you... and it's amazing fun flying about 50ft from the hill at 60mph with everyone else there as well. There are accidents, but they are easy to avoid. Compared to the number of car crashes, its nothing.

If the worst comes to the worst though, and you do hit someone, you can bail out and parachute down.

deliverance said:
Yeah, you can't really see it, because of that thing in the way, but Jon is actually skullfucking a corpse he dug up. sick bastard.
you could see it in the original. opethpainter, gentleman that he is, photoshopped it nice and clean like.

ChrisEmerson said:
There are accidents
heh! i like that! what chrisemerson meant to say: "yeah, on occasion, someone may smash into the side of the ridge and plummet to an extremely unpleasant death....but, you know, what are ya gonna do?"

heh. Its rare that peeple crash whilst ridge soaring due to the fact they are concentrating more, and are more alert. People clip wings sometimes by flying too close...

If anyone is interested / anyone cares, some good pics here:

Gliders ridge soaring
Pete about to take up the Astir
More Gliders Ridge Soaring
lots of gliders, having fun...
The Astir from above
3 Ship Formation
Banking NU
NU from 5GC
NU flying along Bishop Hill
NU on Bishop Hill again
Portmoak K21 on Bishop Hill

and a couple of vids here:

Ride Soaring 1
Ride Soaring 2

and how we launch:
LS4 Launching Vid

sorry, this is getting a bit off topic...