The Opeth Thread

wow Rose Immortal, you know your opeth (bows down in awe)

I dont find Damnation boring whatsoever, its the one album that mellows me out and makes me peacefully happy. A great change to 'metal' which often has hardly any soft moments at all.

Everyone seems to go on about how BWP is the best album, but I personally dont think so. I havent heard all of MAYH so I didnt know the concept of the album, but upon reading that, I'm now extremely interested in hearing it in full.

As for Symphony X, Rose Immortal, my god theres so much you have to hear! The Odyssey, although the title song is one of their best, the album as a whole isnt really THAT much up to scratch to their former stuff (don't get me wrong, it is very good though, so I'm not knocking the guys at all). If theres any one song from previous works you have got to listen to first, its 'The Divine Wings Of Tragedy'..absolute masterpiece!

I like Damnation the best of all their albums....perfect album for a cold rainy day.

Of the other Opeth albums i prefer Still Life but i think they are just a tad overrated...just a tad. Feel free to rip me to shreds i have thick skin :)
I just find that the heavier side of Opeth doesn't have enough agro in it...and i know what you guys are gonna say about atmosphere....but it doesn't send me where its supposed to.

ok, so everyone likes damnation. i guess i shouldnt have said it was boring. thats too subjective. however, its not death metal so i (and many many others) dont include it in the opeth catalogue. it was purely mikes experiment. it should never have been called an opeth album.
evidence: "this is what we REALLY sound like" - mike upon ending the damnation set and starting the deliverance set.

a note on orchid: quickly becoming my favorite opeth album. despite first impressions, the production is excellent and the guitars are perfect. mikes growls were....less evolved....but are fitting nonetheless. check out an excellent review of it on northernshadows.com and then go buy it. i found my copy for 5 dollars. five dollars people.

I know that a lot of metal fans want a much higher degree of anger in their music than I do...but you have to understand, I didn't start out as a metalhead. The first music I ever liked was classical, then from there I went into classic rock. My first exposure to metal--and LIKING it--was through Metallica's S & M album. I have a personal reason for caring about this particular concert (and it's NOT just that it had the classical element) and I really don't give a rip what anybody else thinks about that album. I'm not a full "Metallica fan", but I won't ever change my mind on S & M. But after that, I got into Opeth. I tend not to enjoy the most extreme sort of metal. I like music that is powerful--but that is clearly thought out, and more sophisticated than (as I saw someone put it in another venue) "KILL KILL KILL DIE DIE DIE HATE HATE HATE". ;)

SilentRealm, I would really advise listening to MAYH in one sitting. It is incredibly emotional that way, and I think you will like it.

Someday I might get some more Symphony X albums...we'll see!

As for Damnation not being Opeth, I won't ever agree to that. ;) It's Opeth--but on a classic rock kick.

dorian gray said:
check out an excellent review of it on northernshadows.com

Sorry dorian... you fail.

See my sig, or check out the review directly at:

http://geocities.com/northern_shadows/reviews/orchid.htm

I also interviewed Mike from Opeth. That's available on my site too www.geocities.com/northern_shadows

I'm not going to comment on the topic either, except to point out that Orchid is probably the most sophisticated of their albums in melody and atmosphere, which is what I enjoy most about it.

The fact that Opeth's heavy side isnt AS heavy as alot of other death metal makes it exactly what turns me onto them. I HATE very heavy brutal death metal as much as I hate very heavy thrash and black. I'm a real girly girl, so I love the beauty and art in Opeth. Songs like Face of Melinda, Harvest, Benighted etc show that they dont have to always be heavy, so I think calling Damnation non-opeth just because it doesnt feature any death metal, in my opinion is a false statement.

^ i dig what youre saying but dont these quotations from the man himself have any meaning?:
"we are a death metal band."
" this is what we REALLY sound like."

its obvious damnation was a sound that mike had and wanted to produce. he is also on record as having said he wanted to expand his fanbase. damnation, to me, was a side project...that mike didnt bother to hire side project people for.

i think you could create a very interesting thread over on the opeth board by bringing this up. actually, please do, it is quite boring there right now......

Rose Immortal said:
I absolutely love Opeth. :)

My two favorite albums could hardly be more opposite, though...I love MAYH and Damnation equally. If I had to pick a favorite song, "Epilogue" comes to mind...seems like it's quite underrated with fans. Those of you in particular who like Pink Floyd would probably really love "Epilogue"...it really has the vibe of PF albums like Obscured by Clouds and Dark Side.

i agree, my friend and I have been saying that for years, Epilogue is simply amazing in all regards, it get no recognition, it is my favorite Opeth song.

Minion520 said:
i agree, my friend and I have been saying that for years, Epilogue is simply amazing in all regards, it get no recognition, it is my favorite Opeth song.

LOL, glad I could be of service. ;)

i think you could create a very interesting thread over on the opeth board by bringing this up. actually, please do, it is quite boring there right now......

nah I dont post on the opeth board, for one thing too strict, everything remotely non-opeth-related gets deleted, and i never found 99% the people too welcoming.

The deletions didn't bother me so much as the nasty behavior, which includes vicious slams against Mikael Akerfeldt, his wife, AND newborn baby, recently! And these people KNOW that Mikael and Anna read the board! And you know these people probably wouldn't have the nerve to say it to the Akerfeldts' face, so not only is it wrong, but it's absolutely cowardly.

That's why I bailed out of that place and will never go back.

Anyway, I'm glad to have a place where I can actually discuss music, without having to sift through that garbage.

I did a ranking of Opeth's albums awhile ago, with brief descriptions... I'll just copy and paste that... although I have to edit it. When I wrote it, I had Damnation at #3 and Blackwater Park at #4 (because of a song I found to be very weak)... but I've since changed my mind. I also docked Still Life a bit (it used to be at #2).

1.) My Arms Your Hearse - This is probably all-around my favorite Opeth album. It's got a beautifully-crafted concept that is both heartbreaking and heartwarming. This is their heaviest album, but if anything, it's made me warm up to death metal as much as I probably can. The production is a little fuzzy, especially in comparison to its successor (Still Life), but the album is good enough to overlook that. Overall... an amazing listen and an inspiring read.

2.) Blackwater Park - This is the one album that has no concept whatsoever... which DOES irk me a bit, but it's all good. What can I say, another amazing album. It took me a long time to truly like ALL the songs... about six months, actually. The songs here are just awesome, and the album is diverse between soft and heavy (although not as equal as Still Life). This one runs VERY close to My Arms Your Hearse... and it really only loses out because the other one has a fascinating story.

3.) Still Life - Opeth has had production problems with almost all of their albums... but this one sounds real slick, easily the best production and mixing that any Opeth album has had. Besides that, this has another interesting concept, with a somewhat cliffhanger ending. The music is phenominal, and the acoustic numbers especially stand out on here, because the sound is so wet compared to the dry-sounding (albeit still great) acoustic work on the three previous albums. But then again... the production sounds TOO slick for the album. The cymbals, for example, get to me a lot... too crisp-sounding. The other downside is the songs sound too similar sometimes. Still, the album has a riveting story, and awesome numbers that show just how great Opeth is. This record shows just how much Opeth had grown up til this point (esp. with the acoustic numbers)... but there are the two problems I mentioned that bring it down a bit.

4.) Damnation - This is an odd one. Opeth is a death metal band... and this was a very ambitious project. Not only was it a radical departure in THAT regard; it's also a radical departure from their past SOFTER material. Fans were sort of thrown off by "Still Day Beneath the Sun" and "Patterns in the Ivy II" (released shortly before Deliverance); understandably, they thought those were precursors to how this album would turn out. Not so - this album DOES have (brief) moments of heavier material, but it glistens with keyboards the entire time, something that hasn't been too prominant on past albums. The lyrics are brutally honest, they really get to you. An amazing album that proves how diverse Opeth is in their musical talent. It's hard to rank the album higher though, considering it's so much different from Opeth's norm... and the album IS very short (compared to the rest). Still, don't let the #4 ranking get to you - it's still an essential!!

5.) Morningrise - At this point in their musical journey, Opeth still had far too dry production, and I still think the vocals are too shrill. Still, this album is much more mature than Orchid. I think "Black Rose Immortal" is kinda segments-taped-together, even if it's listenable. The rest of the tracks, on the other hand, are true bliss. The twin guitar thing here DOES get a little annoying, but it's also quite interesting and works well on this album; although I think they should keep it here and continue to avoid it. The songs are long, but other than "Black Rose Immortal", they're not too long for their own good.

6.) Deliverance - While I still love this album, there are a few things that knock it down. First of all, the album contains a true Opeth rarity - a song I don't like. That would be "Wreath". Besides that, the mixing is a little off, even if the band had immense recording problems. Also, the riffs get a little too repetitive... so I can see why fans would call it a bit of a regression (had Damnation not been released with it, it definitely would've been a rather weak stand-alone album). Still, it's a great album to jam to, and it's interesting comparing this evil character to its altar ego on Damnation. The last two tracks on here are some of Opeth's most intense, I might add.

7.) Orchid - The vocals are too shrill, the production far too dry, and the tempo changes are bothersome. That aside, the lyrics here are very poetic and touching, and some of the musical passages are very well-done (I can't get enough of the opening for "Forest of October"). The production may have been very flawed, but there is a strong reverb effect on this record that really sounds great for the mood and circumstances of the character on this record. Two tracks really stand out for their atmosphere, and are among Opeth's best ("Under the Weeping Moon" and "The Twilight is My Robe"). And one track is among their very weakest ("The Apostle in Triumph"). Despite its strongest points, the debut is definitely the most flawed Opeth album.

The deletions didn't bother me so much as the nasty behavior, which includes vicious slams against Mikael Akerfeldt, his wife, AND newborn baby, recently! And these people KNOW that Mikael and Anna read the board! And you know these people probably wouldn't have the nerve to say it to the Akerfeldts' face, so not only is it wrong, but it's absolutely cowardly.

thats really disgusting, unfortunately finding people that are horrible just for the sake of being so isnt a rare occurance. Luckily for the SyX board though, we dont really get that too much. Sometimes someone will come in and try to start trouble, but we all regard each other pretty highly so if someone starts on anyone, or the band members.. we are quick to jump to each others defense. Also the fact that Jax lets us talk about pretty much whatever we want as long as its respectful makes it a pretty friendly environment. So I hope you find your experience here a pleasant one. ( thats my forum plug for now ;) )

Rose Immortal said:

That's why I bailed out of that place and will never go back.

Anyway, I'm glad to have a place where I can actually discuss music, without having to sift through that garbage.
the opeth forum is STILL terrible but not as bad as the period in which that thread exists.
that thread, by the way, was dumb to begin with. so mike and anna are going to be joyous that a bunch of nerds who dont have anything else to do got on a forum and congratulated them? i sure hope not.
shroud of dusk summed it up once when he said that forums were a joke and should be treated as such, with tongue firmly planted in cheek. honestly, how can forums be taken seriously when theyre filled with people hiding behind false names, ridiculous personas, and total subjectivity?
the opeth forum sucks because you cant post anyting even remotely non-opeth. opeth.com doesnt seem to mind that such a rule only invites absurdly stupid threads and scathing posts.
on a side note, the SX forum is more mature than the opeth forum and is much more interesting.
i dont blame you for not going back......

No offense guys (and gals) but I find Opeth one of the most overrated bands. Maybe thats because alll I've heard is the Deliverance album but based off of that that's how I feel.

(PS That blows that people would knock Mikael for his wife and kid... pussies)

dorian gray said:
the opeth forum is STILL terrible but not as bad as the period in which that thread exists.
that thread, by the way, was dumb to begin with. so mike and anna are going to be joyous that a bunch of nerds who dont have anything else to do got on a forum and congratulated them? i sure hope not.
shroud of dusk summed it up once when he said that forums were a joke and should be treated as such, with tongue firmly planted in cheek. honestly, how can forums be taken seriously when theyre filled with people hiding behind false names, ridiculous personas, and total subjectivity?
the opeth forum sucks because you cant post anyting even remotely non-opeth. opeth.com doesnt seem to mind that such a rule only invites absurdly stupid threads and scathing posts.
on a side note, the SX forum is more mature than the opeth forum and is much more interesting.
i dont blame you for not going back......

While I'm sure that the Akerfeldts wouldn't give our congratulations (had there actually BEEN more) the same status as those from friends of theirs in real life, it still seems the kind thing to do.

And yes, this forum definitely seems very mature and enjoyable. Some fun is nice, but I do think some seriousness has its place, too. I mean, even though I'm not using my real name, what you're seeing IS my real thoughts and personality (a reason I chose my new avatar, actually...while there IS a mask that hides the external identity, you can see the true spiritual energy in the eyes...I thought it suited me). This place seems to have a good mix of both.

As for whether or not Opeth.com minds the results of their new rule--I wouldn't be so sure. Personally, I've been wondering if they're going to shut the place down.

Oh, and a note to Thraxz, I do think that only hearing the Deliverance album gave you an undeserved bad impression of the band. That was not one I would've recommended as a starter album unless tried together with Damnation. It would probably be better for you to reserve judgment until trying My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life, or Blackwater Park. Just my 2 cents. ;)