The photography thread

Did a photo walk down in the Docklands..

843849_441799665891691_1328794041_o.jpg

823438_441799705891687_964537879_o.jpg

841295_441799605891697_1525890823_o.jpg

819385_441799749225016_207955869_o.jpg

Got a few shots of my drummer Matt at rehearsal today, they're the first pictures I've taken in a while that I actually like.

8462212215_f319e292d5_b.jpg

8462212445_ae99f020aa_b.jpg

8462212315_2c26afab28_b.jpg

8462212493_3876deb196_b.jpg

Does anyone here still use film cameras?

In april I'll go to a festival in the sahara desert, and I don't want to bring my 600d, as I don't want to spend 4 days in the desert not being able to charge the battery or having not enough memory for more pics and bullshit like that. Apart from sand possibly getting into the camera.

But I thought on taking my dad old Canon AT-1, and the 28mm.

The thing is...which film would you recommend or chosse?

I want a color film...and I'm thinking on ISO200, as I'll spend some days in Marrakech and then go to the festival in the middle of the Sahara desert, so I don't think there'll be low light problems hahaha.

Some new photos of another girl:

suni-fourup.jpg
Nice pic's. I find it really hard to "model" someone who doesn't have any experience, but that's mostly because of my lack of social skills. I prefer shooting concerts where the artist is just doing his thing on stage.

Two things i noticed when looking at your shots:
- Exposure in photo's are not the same and that causes little differences in skintones/haircolor/blackness of clothing.
- Your shots (lighting/makeup/etc) have a very professional feel, the only thing that i'm really missing is good looking hair of the models (also on the blonde/previous one).

Does anyone here still use film cameras?

In april I'll go to a festival in the sahara desert, and I don't want to bring my 600d, as I don't want to spend 4 days in the desert not being able to charge the battery or having not enough memory for more pics and bullshit like that. Apart from sand possibly getting into the camera.

But I thought on taking my dad old Canon AT-1, and the 28mm.

The thing is...which film would you recommend or chosse?

I want a color film...and I'm thinking on ISO200, as I'll spend some days in Marrakech and then go to the festival in the middle of the Sahara desert, so I don't think there'll be low light problems hahaha.
I'm using Kodak Portra 400 which i really dig ... but the results i had with harsh sunlight/overexposure were not really pleasant (i guess every overexposure with film is a real no go).

Send me a PM if you want some examples.

@arvoitus
thanks for the feedback!
I think the difference in exposure is because I use one big octabox and move it around a bit. And yeah, I agree with the hair. It's because I haven't found a hairstylist yet to work with. And these were test shoots where the important thing was to get connection with the model through the camera. So the girls just fixed the hair themselves.
Yes, it's really hard to pose someone that's not a model. But it's challenging and fun. When I started shooting, I had no intention at all to do portraits, I just wanted to shoot actionsports. But now portraits are the most fun.

EDIT:
By the way, here's from my most recent shoot. Had the makeup artist fix her hair a little:
mimmi-web.jpg

Nice, i like the hair better. What equipment do you use and what does your "studio" look like?

I would love to shot more professional portrait stuff with people, but i don't have the experience yet ... i just do random candid shots.

Thanks!
Im currently using a Canon 7D with a 17-40L F/4 lens. For light I use a cheap 600w studioflash in a 180cm octabox. Sometimes I have a striplight for some backlight. Thinking of buying one more octabox though. I want to use natural light with reflectors but the studio is on the second floor and the apartments across the street could easily see straight into the room. And I don't think my clients would like that, so shooting with curtains closed and studiolights. Also have some simple props, a white cube, one black bar... chair? White walls and will be building more backgrounds. Thats it. I guess the space is around 40-50sqm and around 3 metres in height.
I cant say I have much experience in portrait but I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Cheers man! It would, I was tempted to timelapse from up there but it was too cold to stay much longer. Would make a cool miniature world effect!