The Problem Of German Metal

What about Vanden Plas, Angel Dust and Avalon (RIP) ? WHile VP is not heavy enough for some, they are one of the most consistant bands out ther as far as putting out quality releases.
Angel Dust's "Bleed" and Avalon's - "Eurasia" are also two of my favorite CDs and still get spins occasionally from me.

Bryant

Dying Sun said:
Best German Bands:
Absurd
Aren't they a neo-Nazi hatemetal band? I downloaded some of their stuff because I heard it was good black metal, but it didn't sound much like real black metal to me. I don't agree with neo-Nazis' beliefs, but I'll listen to bands with such beliefs if the music is good (like some Burzum).

I don't see much wrong with German metal. For two years in a row at the Prog Power USA, it was German bands that ruled the stage. At PP2 it was Angel Dust. At PP3 it was Edguy. This year Rage ?...... nope but if I had to bet money on who gets overlooked and blows people away this year it would be Vanden Plas. The problem with German metal is that they don't make it to the US often enough.

Bryant

Necrofukk said:
What about Desaster !!!!

Bang or be Banged !!!

Finally, someone has mentioned Desaster! Metalized Blood!!
Curse Brinkster for removing my fan page.

BTW where's the love for Holy Moses, Tankard, Living Death etc?!

some more non-powermetal bands from germany (from the top of my head):

Necrophagist (deathmetal)
Final Breath (death/thrash/chaos)
Dew Scented (modern death/thrash I'd say)
Cerberus (blackmetal)
Apokrypha ("apocalyptic blackmetal")
Davidian (tHrash with a capital fucking "H"!!!!!!!!)
Legio Mortis (hmm, lets call it darkmetal.....)
My Darkest Hate (deathmetal)
Runamok
Soul Demise
Suidakra (melodic death)
Verdict (Thrash)

and among all the underground-bands I have seen live in my area have only been some 1 or 2 bands that COULD be described as powermetal

Is anybody familiar with Blackend. They released at least two very good first albums in a technical Metallica-way (circa "Justice"-era), especially considering their very young age.