The Randy Staub love thread

Man, Some Kind of Monster is a really shitty song :lol: (especially James' vox, yeesh) And yeah, sounds almost exactly a half-step down from the original, and I'm sorry, but I really can't handle the pumping on the Staub mix, even if it does sound better!

Kev: no the remix is tuned down slightly. Don't have any instrument here to check it. It is most apparent in the intro single-note riff.

I have NO idea why I said octave, but i'll leave it there for all to see :lol: It's Friday, i'm going to get pissed, and today i believe that 1 octave is actually one fret down on a guitar.

What I meant to say was that the randy version is exactly 1/2 step down or played down one semi tone.

Andy Wallace is the guy I've most often heard linked to the PCM trick, and I remember there was a big thread on Gearslutz about it a couple of years ago, with a lot of discussion about achieving it with plugins, etc. I don't remember the name of the thread, but I'm sure it would pop up with some searching in case you guys wanna check that out as well.

Andy Wallace is the guy I've most often heard linked to the PCM trick, and I remember there was a big thread on Gearslutz about it a couple of years ago, with a lot of discussion about achieving it with plugins, etc. I don't remember the name of the thread, but I'm sure it would pop up with some searching in case you guys wanna check that out as well.

Yeah, I remember it. Cant be done with the plugin aparantly..:ill:

Here ya go guys, a little info on the SKoM remix:

StaubScan.jpg

For those who have seen the "Year and a half in the life of Metallica" DVD, am I correct in assuming that Staub is the guy with the hideous shirt? (who says it was white before Lars ripped ass :lol: ) Amazing how in all the times I watched that DVD (the most recent being at least 3 years ago however), I never realized he was the guy who made that album sound like it does :worship: (I mean, I'm not all that crazy about it now tbh, but for its time of course it was groundbreaking)

I would really like to hear how the trick sounds, I did a little test with digi´s "slap delay" set to 20ms and "lo fi" and i really liked the result.
I just dont know if i got the same sound, even if it is different, i liked what i got and could use it sometime

For those who have seen the "Year and a half in the life of Metallica" DVD, am I correct in assuming that Staub is the guy with the hideous shirt? (who says it was white before Lars ripped ass :lol: ) Amazing how in all the times I watched that DVD (the most recent being at least 3 years ago however), I never realized he was the guy who made that album sound like it does :worship: (I mean, I'm not all that crazy about it now tbh, but for its time of course it was groundbreaking)

yeah that's him hahahaha.

the hideous shirt? (who says it was white before Lars ripped ass :lol: )

its James who he says that about, IIRC. standing in the control room after they've tracked some overdubs for Nothing Else Matters(the 12 string, etc), then goes back to him tracking vocals!

But still.. its awesome dvd! i've watched it too many times, i think :\

I tried boosting 100hz on the OHs and ROOM, and later compressing them, and holy shit, it sounds way more top-40-like overheads. I did just a quick test on a mixing I was finishing, but when i have the chance i will try it more carefully in a mix.

Yeah it's great innit?

Thanks for posting up all those little snippets of info guys. Reminds me why I keep coming back here.

On an unrelated note I tried to do 8dB of GR with the Waves SSL Comp and it totally shit a brick, sideways. Cymbals started tearing apart and the entire mix became stifled as hell. So, it probably goes without saying that in order to execute this you need:

1. Outboard. Not plug-ins.
2. To mix into it from the start.